So I got a Wii for Chrismas...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zyb, Dec 25, 2008.

1. zyb
    OP

zyb Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2008
    Gambia, The
    ... yay, and it took me half an hour to find this forum [​IMG]
    Great resource, I already read a few threads and I guess i need to get the homebrew channel up and install some backup loader.
    I already pandorra'd a few PSPs (which seems to be much scarier, in tems of brick-risk, compared to this [​IMG] )
    So I'm pretty sure I'll figure out all the details in the next few days.

Wel, somebody told me using a backup loader is really bad for the Wii's DVD-Drive and that it might break early. Is that true? Haven't seen anybody here mentioning that.

2. Link5084

Link5084 Sword & Shield at your service

Aug 6, 2008
    United States
    Isn't Christmas tommorrow?

But anyways, no, the backup loader should be fine for the Wii.

3. zyb
    OP

zyb Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Alright, thanks for the info. In Germany we celebrate Christmas on the 24th, don't ask me why, but everybody over here already got their presents [​IMG]

4. If it's a newer firmware without a cIOS. You're going to need to downgrade it a pretty different way. :wtf:

I just had to do it recently. And by recently, I mean two days ago.

I had to downgrade a 3.3U without any prior cIOS so I had to do it a really weird way!

5. fiveighteen

fiveighteen High Hopes and Low Expectations

Jun 30, 2008
    United States
    AFAIK the backup loaders aren't any worse for the DVD drive than normal games. I recommend that you start by finding what system menu you're on, run the [Twilight Hack] for your menu, install the [HomeBrew Channel], and then [downgrade] to 3.2 (if your current menu is over that) and install [StarFall]. That should be a good base before you mess with anything else. [​IMG] Merry Christmas!

6. I ended up having to use a custom Wad Manager to install some cios's and a cios_fix

Then I had a chance to install the right stuff to downgrade using waninkoko's downgrader then I had to delete ios 55 and had 30 and 36 ios on. =] I'm used to doing it the other way but you may have to do it this way if you get the same issue I had.

7. zyb
    OP

zyb Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Okay tomorrow I'm going to have access to a Twilight Princess copy. So after I used TP-hack to install HBC, do I really need to downgrade? My Menu is 3.3E.

If I understand this correctly, I can stay on 3.3E, install HBC and a backup loader and be careful about what other homebrews I install, so I don't get bricked.

I know this means no StarFall, but if I don't mess with it too much I should be fine, shouldn't I? [​IMG]
    I just ask, because Downgrading seems to be the risky part of this.

8. Chux

Chux Newbie

So my Parents got a Wii for Christmas and updated it to 3.4u. I'm currently downgrading it but I'm getting stuck while running the Custom IOS Downgrader v.12.

I'm getting this error:

Initializing network, please wait... ERROR! (ret = -116)

Any ideas?

9. JonTheAzn

JonTheAzn Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 28, 2008
    Canada
    make sure that your wii can connect to the internet or else it won't work

10. Chux

Chux Newbie

Well, yeah. I haven't had any problems with that.

11. mcj

mcj GBAtemp Fan

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    100% false rumor.

12. zyb
    OP

zyb Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2008
    Gambia, The
    Alright I'm now on 3.2 with Homebrew Channel and StarFall installed. Everything worked like a charm [​IMG]
    Thanks guys for providing these helpful answers and tutorials! [​IMG]

13. afif95

afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Nov 24, 2008
    Malaysia
    Malaysia!
    Topic hijacker...

Anyway zyb, glad to know you found your solution. WELCOME TO THE HOMEBREW COMMUNITY!

14. djtaz

djtaz PM's Full - Wadder Me

Sep 21, 2008
    congrats zyb - now you can help others who have problems [​IMG]
    Welcome on board

15. CIJC

CIJC GBAtemp Fan

Nov 5, 2008

ROFL xD at your sig. xDxDxD