Hacking So I finally got a system. Now what?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing that gamestop was finally offering a good price, I did manage to pick up a second hand WiiU. Amusingly, in spite of the claims of being data wiped and refurbished, it already had Mario 3D World pre-installed. Not complaining, certainly.

In any case, following wiiu.guide I did at least get to get things running with mocha (no DS VC game presently), and looks like vWii got hacked and working correctly.

So I guess this is the part where I'm basically thinking, "well, now what?"

One of the bits I obviously want to address/remedy is basically with some of the home-brew. Wondering if I could maybe copy the data from my (hacked) Wii's SD card over to the one for the WiiU and have it work, at least for vWii mode.

Barring that, would probably be high time to start looking into what else I can do with the (presumably) soft-modded Wii. It is admittedly inconvenient to have to use the browser to re-enable launching hbc for WiiU every time, but guess that's just what I got to deal with for the time being.

Also, I kind of reminded that I had come across and downloaded an archive collection of basically every Wii VC entry that came to the north American market. Seeing as any chance of legally migrating my own purchased stuff to the WiiU is basically nil, I should probably ask first if I should consider using stuff to install those or if it's not worth the risk to bricking either side of the console.

I'm asking this stuff now, because admittedly yeah I'm rather late to the proverbial game, and I'd rather know now before I start messing around and have to post later "omg I bricked my vWii/WiiU HALP" or something like that by the time I build a library/collection for it or something.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get usb helper for WIIU games make sure you have a decent size SD card 64 gig .. As for WII/GameCube games use the Injection tool . Retroarch for everything oldskool .. U can play ps1 games . & psp but it's pretty weak really .. But everything else is pretty Kool . Lots of hidden gems on WIIU

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get usb helper for WIIU games make sure you have a decent size SD card 64 gig .. As for WII/GameCube games use the Injection tool . Retroarch for everything oldskool .. U can play ps1 games . & psp but it's pretty weak really .. But everything else is pretty Kool . Lots of hidden gems on WIIU
Sorry for sounding like a newb, but i had no inkling to even look any of this up because i didn't think I'd ever score a system.
What *is* usb helper?
Also, what about existing Wii homebrew? Is that safe to use for vWii mode?
One of the reasons i knew I'd have to mod one would be to at least be able to load GameCube iso's. At least now, since i still have a working, bc Wii console, i could use that to rip said games to the external hard drive i first had for it, and then bring that over to the WiiU; at least, that's my thinking of it. Then it's just a matter of the controls to resolve.

I also saw something about being able to use cheats on WiiU games; what about for Wii games, too? Chances are i will still try to pick up (now) some WiiU games while they're still relatively cheap.

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usb helper is a app for windows which let's you grab games which downloaded to your computer .. In WUP format .. Then you copy them to your SD card... Insert into your WIIU & install using a app called WUP installer Gx ... Wii/GameCube games can injected using a Tool here & having Nintendont app on your WIIU... Get a big SD card mine is 64 gig .. & get a external Hard drive and plug it in the wiiu & it will ask to format it ... only ever install the software on your hard drive ..

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usb helper is a app for windows which let's you grab games which downloaded to your computer .. In WUP format .. Then you copy them to your SD card... Insert into your WIIU & install using a app called WUP installer Gx ... Wii/GameCube games can injected using a Tool here & having Nintendont app on your WIIU... Get a big SD card mine is 64 gig .. & get a external Hard drive and plug it in the wiiu & it will ask to format it ... only ever install the software on your hard drive ..
I could be wrong here, but it does sound like my initial suspicion is basically boned, then.

As is the biggest hard drive I do have to be able to set aside for the WiiU, is the one that I had my total Wii and GameCube libraries. I had initially believed, that I could have some degree of homebrew so that I could have actually loaded and played my existing collection from said external hard drive. Though from what I'm seeing here, it doesn't sound like that's possible. As is my backup rips of my legit copies alone is bigger than the 128gig SD card I did get for the system, finally. It also sounds like letting the WiiU format the drive basically locks me out of being able to (re)use it on the regular Wii.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also need either a hard drive that plugs into the wall or a y cable which gives power to two usb ports. An external with one usb port is not enough power for Wii U.

You could use the one you have for Wii and yes you'd have to start over but you could inject your Wii/Gamecube games into the same hard drive as Wii u and have them on the same menu. Just need a y-cable if you don't already have one and as mentioned before an sd card but a 32 gb is big enough to install all Wii U games that I'm aware of you don't need 64 unless you want to install multiple big games at the same time.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear about something... it is possible to load up vWii mode, and load Wii level homebrew like Nintendont, Devolution, and USBloader for the Wii and VC games, right?

I mean specifically Wii level Homebrew or loaders from within vWii mode. If at least that is possible, that would help me out quite a bit to smooth over the transition.

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to be clear about something... it is possible to load up vWii mode, and load Wii level homebrew like Nintendont, Devolution, and USBloader for the Wii and VC games, right?

I mean specifically Wii level Homebrew or loaders from within vWii mode. If at least that is possible, that would help me out quite a bit to smooth over the transition.
Yes.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, good. Already did a proof-of-concept and was able to load up WiiFlow and find that I was able to get MGS Twin Snakes to load from it, with Nintendont. However, with just the Wii remote and CC pro, i keep noticing it just seems to auto-play... as in, it's not responding to any inputs from the controller. Am I forgetting a setting, or doing something wrong, here? Seeing as until I can get my hands on one of those official or knockoff gamecube controller adapters for the console, That's currently my best way to actually control those games.

Again, I'm sorry for the bother, but I kind of understand that one character in SWTOR who stated (and I'm paraphrasing here), "may the force be with you, because the science has reached its limits on this one."

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended