OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right now, I am trying to keep it under $1000 CAD>

Here's what I got...
Cooler Master Elite 334 Nvidia Edition Mid Tower Case ($61)
Enermax Liberty 500W ($102)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition ($290)
Asus M4A785TD-V ($113)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 ($36)

Right now... I can't decide on which of these RAMS to choose from:
A-DATA XPG G-Series Dual Channel 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR3-1333MHz
G.SKILL NQ Series DDR3 1333MHz 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel Kit
OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Gold Edition 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel Kit
OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz AMD Edition Dual Channel 4GB (2x2048MB) Kit

All are $97... Which one would you recommend to buy? Or any of em?

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For the RAM I'd choose one of the OCZ, I've always gotten good RAM from them. Kingston and Corsair are also good RAM makers.

However, what GPU are you going for? I saw you wanted a 4800 series, but which one you get depends on the resolution you'd be playing on (Or whichever one you have enough money for).

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Corsair and Kingston are so freakin expensive xDD. I could expect good things if I were to order those ones, but they are just too expensive. Since I am planning on getting 8GB RAM in the future, I wanted to get a 2x2GB Bundle. But will start off with 4GB first... Then save up for another 4GB. All of them are the same, but since OCZ seems to be pretty good, I might get it.

And my GPU, I want to buy a Radeon 4870. It seems to be pretty good. It is getting good reviews, and am only wanting to pay $100 Max (/w tax) for a GPU. Any other suggestions? For graphics cards at that price?

Other than that... Sorta feeling that the PSU is a little too expensive, but since it is a Modular Gaming PSU, I thought it was okay at the price.

EDIT: GPU I am looking at are the Radeon 4670 and 4870. But... I wanna know good GPUs that are under $100....

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
Corsair and Kingston are so freakin expensive xDD. I could expect good things if I were to order those ones, but they are just too expensive. Since I am planning on getting 8GB RAM in the future, I wanted to get a 2x2GB Bundle. But will start off with 4GB first... Then save up for another 4GB. All of them are the same, but since OCZ seems to be pretty good, I might get it.
I did a quick search on Kingston's ram for a 2x2 set, and it turned out about the same (plus or minus a few $$ depending on which one you choose). I currently have a 3x2 Kingston set for about a year now, and it hasn't failed me yet.

EDIT: I don't know much about ATI, but this might help you.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's pretty good. But I am getting all these at a local computer store. So yea... Can't say much now... But if it is cheaper at NewEgg.ca, then I might buy from them.

And other GPU I am looking at are the GeForce9500GT, (But Radeon 4670 seems to be better though)

EDIT: lololol. I am using that right now to help me decide on a GPU xDD

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
That's pretty good. But I am getting all these at a local computer store. So yea... Can't say much now... But if it is cheaper at NewEgg.ca, then I might buy from them.

And other GPU I am looking at are the GeForce9500GT, (But Radeon 4670 seems to be better though)

EDIT: lololol. I am using that right now to help me decide on a GPU xDD

Whoops, forgot that you mentioned that you were in Canada. >.<

I currently have a 9600GT, and for it's price, it can handle quite a bit.

Synchromatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
9600GT... Tom's Hardware Recommends that ;P. But 4970 at cheaper price ;P
Well, as long as it doesn't go past your budget.
tongue.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just wanna pay $100 max + tax for one. So I guess either of them would be okay...

Gonna go find out which is better for gaming though. But I saw that the 4670 was better.

EDIT: So I am gonna choose the 4670, (and 4970 when I got the money) and will buy the OCZ RAM. HDD, nothing to worry about, since will take the ones i have right now... And DVD Drive, will take one of the ones i have. Done... Time to see how much it is.

Golfman560

TheRapist.com
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seeing as you'll only spend $100 on a GPU, you've got about $200 to spend.

I was going to say that since you're buying a $300 CPU you should just get an i7, but I realized that it was in CAD. Even so it still would put it just a bit beyond $1000 and is well worth it. My i7 is up to 3.1GHz on the stock cooler and I've got a Noctua coming from Newegg. An i7 would be total overkill with that GPU
tongue.gif

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
AMD is more affordable for me. I am not a Hardcore gamer, but just a gamer. In the middle.

@Joe ~ lool. Just who I have been waiting for. The 4830 is $117 CAD and is only 512MB. I think I might go with the 4670 since it is cheaper... But I know what I am getting out of this. So anyway, like I said, not a Hardcore gamer, just a gamer from the middle.

Since I've been asking you a lot of things about custom computers, are the parts I picked good? Or at least decent? Anything I can improve on, or any places I can buy these at a cheaper price that ships to canada?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's like Joe really wants me to get a 4850 xDD. But tbh, I think a 4670 is good enough for me... Will get the 1GB one... But don't think I want it just because it is bigger, I just want it since my dad was planning on getting it.

So at least if I get this one, he can compare this to his 9600 GSO that isn't as awesome =D

You like ignore my question xDD. I need to make a thread or at least rename this my to build computer thread... since I am gonna need some help...

I got everything except for a HDD and optical drive. Reusing them from my current computer, no problem there ^^

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Splych said:
It's like Joe really wants me to get a 4850 xDD. But tbh, I think a 4670 is good enough for me... Will get the 1GB one... But don't think I want it just because it is bigger, I just want it since my dad was planning on getting it.

So at least if I get this one, he can compare this to his 9600 GSO that isn't as awesome =D

You like ignore my question xDD. I need to make a thread or at least rename this my to build computer thread... since I am gonna need some help...

I got everything except for a HDD and optical drive. Reusing them from my current computer, no problem there ^^

1GB on a 4670 is useless and just adds up to the price...

better spend that money on a 4850 and tell your dad, that it's way more awesome than his 9600gso

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Why are you spending so much on a CPU if you want to get a 4670?

A 1GB 4670 is a waste of money.

At your spec, DDR3 is a waste of money.

---

What you do now is get a p45 chipset motherboard, ~2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GBs of DDR2, a 4670 512MB or a 4770 1GB

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Alright... I am gonna start from the very beginning now of making a PC. Will get rid of RAM, CPU and Motherboard. It would've been nice to have an awesome Gaming PC, but after thinking about it thoroughly, I don't really need it.

Ty Arctic Flame. I will look into the parts you recommend. Basically, the only thing that won't really be changing is the case and maybe the PSU. But most likely, I will also be changing it to a cheaper one. But that's just a maybe.

EDIT: I was doing a little CPU searching. I found that 2.8GHz CPU you were talking about, but then I also found the 3GHz version which is about $63 more expensive then the 2.8GHz. The FSB is higher and the cache is double from the 2.8GHz. Other than that, I also checked out AMD, and their AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition is 3.1GHz. Has more cache, is faster, and is cheaper by around $8 -> $70. But since it is a socket AM3, I can expect to see a expensive RAM once again since the motherboard will most likely, be the same one as the one from the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition.

What would you recommend? Also, bear in mind, I am gonna be using this for gaming and 3-D image stuff. Like for computer engineering as I will try to help my dad with his work on this.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
zomg. I need to read on this "unlocking". I never knew that AM3 can go onto AM2+. I thought it was strictly for CPUs for AM2+?

So wait... Which one should I get?

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Socket LGA775, 2.8 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache ($131)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket LGA775, 3 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache ($194)
AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition (95W) Dual-Core Socket AM3, 3.1GHz, 7MB L2 Cache ($123)

I might get the E8400 instead of E7400 as it has a faster core, FSB is higher and the cache is double the size. But it is more expensive by $60. In the other hand, the Phenom is faster, more cache and is cheaper by $70....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    oh yeah also DLSS is a pretty solid reason to go nvidia since fidelityfx is kinda crap
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM