So I am about to solder in my wiikey...

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kingmathyou, Aug 12, 2007.

Aug 12, 2007
  1. kingmathyou
    OP

Newcomer kingmathyou Member

United States
    This is my first mod chip installation. I've soldered before though and I'm decent at soldering. Do you guys have any pointers for me when I put my wiikey in?

Oh BTW, I have Wii NTSC v2.2U, in case that matters. My wiikey is also a legit chip.

I think I should be alright, but as it's so small and all, I would ask around see if there are any little suggestions you guys would think that would help me out.

2. ziddey

Member ziddey GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Your wii have cut legs? If so, that job will require 99% of the effort.

But as for the wiikey install itself.. flux the pads on the wii. hold your wires parallel to the board and dab the pad until it melts and the wire gets eaten in. Once it cools, you can pull the wire upright so it's perpendicular. Repeat for all of the pads on the pcb. It would help to do it in some sort of circular manner such that previously soldered wire won't get in the way.

Then, flux the contacts on the wiikey and situate it on the pcb. It may be of help to have tinned the wires and contacts on the wiikey. Bend one of the wires such that it hugs along the wiikey pcb and goes parallel above the contact. Solder. Wait for it to cool and use something to snip off the extra wire. You'll be then left with a perfect shortwire. Repeat for other contacts.

3. kingmathyou
    OP

Newcomer kingmathyou Member

United States
    Okay thanks! My drive chip is GC2-DMS, so I don't have to do the long annoying method GC2-D2B method.

Anyone else have some helpful pointers before I get down and do this thing?

4. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Use wires, not the quicksolder method.

5. dcramps

Newcomer dcramps Member

Canada
    Don't understand why so many people are saying to flux everything. You don't need flux for any modchip install in the Wii.

6. gamez2003

Newcomer gamez2003 Advanced Member

Australia
    just get some double sided tape, stick the wiikey down and use the wire method I believe its the best was to install the wiikey as you can see your job unlike the quicksolder where you cant really see if the solder has joined to other pads [​IMG]

as long as you dont have that new console revision you should be fine.

BTW I think most solder these days has flux cores well every single spindle ive bought has been a flux core.

7. dcramps

Newcomer dcramps Member

Canada
    I would strongly suggest using no-clean solder rather than rosin cored solder that seems to be so popular. No-clean is far far nicer to work with, with less cleanup etc.

8. 3DPiper

Member 3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I mounted mine externally so I can pull it off whenever I need to (although I have never needed to yet).. Might be something to think about.

Oh, and although it's been said a million times: use a small-tip, low wattage iron (12W or so)..

Good luck!

-Matthew

9. HKCC

Newcomer HKCC Newbie

Hong Kong
    do not hold in the same position for too long, and u will find it easy after the first point

10. KamiCrazy

Newcomer KamiCrazy Newbie

New Zealand
    I soldered in my wiikey yesterday night. First time I did any soldering for 10+ years. These are the challenges I had.

My hands are never still, years of abuse have meant that I have slight parkinsons shake in my hand. I found it very difficult to hold the iron straight.

I used a 40w soldering iron, I was aware that I could cause nasty heat dmg so I had to work very quickly in very short bursts. Hard to do when your hands are shaking very slightly.

I couldn't actually wire solder the smaller contact points at all, so I just quicksoldered the whole thing. I found quick soldering to be much easier.

11. gamez2003

Newcomer gamez2003 Advanced Member

Australia

lol 40watts. shit thats alot. I guess it all depends upon how long you hold the solder iron on the point. I personally use a 13 watt .2 fine tip solder iron [​IMG]