So, how long you figure the DSLite has b4 being discontinued?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Hanafuda, May 31, 2009.

1. Hanafuda
    OP

Member Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I'm not all that enthusiastic about the DSi. The bigger screens are nice to be sure, but the camera and mp3 playback are of no more use to me than pictochat has been. On the other hand, the GBA slot on the DSLite gives me access to 20 years of Nintendo goodness, so in my mind it's a huge loss. The GBA catalog contains awesome NES and SNES ports, as well as a boatload of bona fide classics made just for the GBA. Unfortunately, it appears pretty obvious that the majority of consumers are not troubled by the loss of the GBA slot, and the DSi is selling well. For a luddite like me, that wants the DSLite to stay on the market as long as possible, that's potentially bad news. I know Nintendo has said the DSLite would continue at retail for a while alongside the DSi, but how long you really think that's gonna continue? I don't expect them to kill off the DSLite this coming week (E3), but it wouldn't shock me if they did. But by the end of this year at the very latest, I surely do expect the discontinuation to be announced. What do you all think?

Guess I'm just gonna have to cough up the bucks and get another one to have a spare on-hand. [​IMG]

2. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    The DS Lite will continue to be popular for a couple more years. Possibly 2 max IMO.

Nintendo just needs to understand that just because they released the DSi, doesn't mean they can just just stop advertising the DS Lite, along with making games for it. That would be really crappy.

The people who are buying this DSi, are little annoying twatfucks who see it has a camera, and cry to their mom saying they want it for their Birthday/Christmas. [​IMG]. That's basically Nintendo's main supporters right there.

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    3-6 months (japan), 1 year (Us and Europe)

4. zuron7

Member zuron7 RBYG

India
    A few more years after the next gen handeld releases.
    Not the DSi.

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Well, no one knows for sure, but I figure after New Year 2010 or 2011, so next year or the year after. We all know that 3rd pillar talk is a bunch of crap. Look how fast they dropped GBA.

6. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    As soon as DSi gains enough support and defects from DSL. But then again many people still aren't giving up on their DSLs and it is still selling well.... So I think Nintendo should just acknowledge both as their current device instead of letting DSL die out.

7. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
  8. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    6-12 months. It's being phased out slowly.

9. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    a year or two. however it, like all gameboys before it will be available second hand for many years to come. hell, a few days ago I was in gamestation and behind the counter they had about three piles of used DS lites several feet tall there.

10. TraumaHoundNDS

Member TraumaHoundNDS GBAtemp Fan

United States
    At best, I'd give it a year after DSi launch dates in their respective countries though here in the US I wouldn't be surprised if they start phasing out after Xmas (or maybe actually go on sale before Xmas to help clear out stock.) There's really no reason for Big N to keep Lites on the shelves taking up valuable DSi stock space much longer than that.

11. Smokexz

Newcomer Smokexz Member

United States
    If you could all just understand what nintendo was trying to do, we wouldn't waste time with this...

1. DSi was not made to replace DSL it was just made as an upgrade
    2. DS will most likely not die... due to the fact that nintendo already has ANOTHER ds ready to go, meaning they are not planning on killing the ds.
    3. Why would you want it to die? I mean wouldn't you love to see if one day a nice copy of OOT makes it to NDS >.> or something better...

xD

Still I think it has until the death of Nintendo (never)

12. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    in about 2.1548965 years.

I thought long and hard about it, yes i did.

Meh in my view it will never die !

13. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    I think th dslite will stay in the limelight for atleast another 2 years The DSphat was "phased out" because it was fuckin ugly. And if youre referring to the gameboy advance receding into the shadows, that took around 2 years give or take.

14. Chris_Skylock

Member Chris_Skylock GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Philippines
    In japan, the limit is 20 million shipment. The DS Lite has reached 20 millions so the DS Lite will not fall until the next 2 years

15. Lubbo

Member Lubbo GBAtemp Traceur

Australia
    12 months

16. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    the dsi isnt meant to be a sucsessor of the dslite. so i think the dsl will last till a successor is created and relesed.