Hardware So how long will a high-end gaming PC last before going "out of date"?

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been a console gamer all my life and the BS is finally starting to get to me lol. Graphics aren't a big issue for me so I don't really care about playing everything in 60fps, 4K and VR while having it make me a smoothy. I just wanna continue playing the newest games with decent specs. How long do most gaming PCs last before becoming completely unplayable. I'd like to at least get 6 to 7 years out of it. Otherwise it's not worth the price tag.
Edit: Also looking into emulation. Preferably up to PS2 but above that would be swell

Last edited by VincentBeasley,

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't really care about graphics and frame rate, a high-end gaming PC can last you for maybe 4-5 years?
The high end PCs of 2011 can still kind of plays games from today.

Emulation should last forever. You will be able to run PCSX2, no sweat.
As for anything above that, well a high end PC can most certainly emulate the Wii (Dolphin) and the Wii U emulator (CEMU) is also looking promising.

Last edited by Supster131,

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
If you don't really care about graphics and frame rate, a high-end gaming PC can last you for maybe 4-5 years?

As for anything above that, well a high end PC can most certainly emulate the Wii (Dolphin) and the Wii U emulator (CEMU) is also looking promising.
4 cores >2ghz with a decent GPU should crush dolphin. :-D

Reactions: dpad_5678

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you pick your parts right and don't mind turning game settings way down towards the EOL, you could probably skate by on an upwards of 8 years

However, it should be mentioned that a major upside of PC gaming is that every 2-4 years you can plunk in a new graphics card and be good to go for a while at a relatively low cost

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's what I want to hear lol. Back in the day there were legit reason people played on consoles. But nowadays it almost seems pointless having a console with the decline of Jrpgs, local multiplayer and various other things.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
What type of price tag are you thinking of? You can really scrap together what your looking for on the cheap but for longevity you probably need to spend at least $400~.

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What type of price tag are you thinking of? You can really scrap together what your looking for on the cheap but for longevity you probably need to spend at least $400~.
Oh well if I were to go ahead and get one then I would probably spend around 800-1000$. My plan is to just do away with consoles all-together and switch over. I would be getting that over a PS4 and I'd like it to last as long as possible without needing to upgrade.

Last edited by VincentBeasley,

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well if I were to go ahead and get one then I would probably spend around 800-1000$. My plan is to just do away with consoles all-together and switch over.
That'll for sure last a couple of years. I'd say go for highest i7 and a decent GPU, as upgrading the GPU is easier than upgrading the CPU.
Like @TotalInsanity4 stated, update your GPU every 2-4, and then a complete system upgrade at around 6-8 years.

Just remember, you will be losing out on exclusives if you decide to be PC only, but that's a matter of preference.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just remember, you will be losing out on exclusives if you decide to be PC only, but that's a matter of preference.
I would eventually get a Ps4 way down the line so that's no biggie. Plus Playstation now will be on PC soon and there's a possibility that would allow me to play some exclusives lol

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Lucar

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That'll for sure last a couple of years. I'd say go for highest i7 and a decent GPU, as upgrading the GPU is easier than upgrading the CPU.
Like @TotalInsanity4 stated, update your GPU every 2-4, and then a complete system upgrade at around 6-8 years.

Why an i7? An i5 from this generation of processors would be just as good, for less.

Supster131

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why an i7? An i5 from this generation of processors would be just as good, for less.
Because upgrading a CPU can be a hassle (it's not difficult, switching out a GPU is much easier).
That and some games are starting to ask for i7s. Won't hurt to "future-proof" yourself a bit.

VincentBeasley

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Does the SD TV have a VGA ports? If so, that simplifies matters greatly.

One note on how long a PC will last, it depends what type of games you're looking to play. Your mileage may vary. If you're looking to play the latest battlefield/CoD titles every year, you may need to swap the graphics every 3-4 years. If you're mostly emulating and playing smaller, lighter games, a good graphics card can last you as much as 10 years. As time goes by, newer games slowly ask for higher and higher specs, however most titles aim/optimise for those with low or medium specs because there's a bigger market share in that range.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A $400 PC will have no longevity lol

Longevity is over-rated. You don't want to spend so much money today, that you're stuck with a computer for 10 years.

A $400 pc isn't a high end gaming pc, if that was your budget and you bought the best value for money then you'd probably be able to buy everything except your graphics card.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-cpus,review-33354.html

The decision for me would be between an i5-6500/i5-6600K, if you must have i7 then previous generation i7-5820K seems like good value for money.

Last edited by smf,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends what you do with longevity really.
If you can retire it to a secondary PC and get some LAN going on, or have something capable of doing things in the shed/front room TV, or be able to give it to someone and have them do well for it.

On emulation then yeah if you are happy with a specific version then go right ahead, I do have to say though I have seen a trend, not necessarily an unwelcome one either, towards needing newer and newer hardware (be it CPU, GPU or even OS) as times goes on. This does tend to mean more games and more accuracy that actually matters but I have to note it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool