Hacking So how long do you think Gateway will last?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
This has pretty much always been the case for hacks/exploits. It's gonna be a long while until 4.5 systems are all gone considering that most major retailers (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, K-Mart) are still carrying them, anyway. Gateway isn't going anywhere until someone else starts writing original code.

Edward266

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think gateway will stay around for a while. a perfect example is the PS3. Look how long it took to find a hack/jb for that. I believe it took years. there were quite a few once it was released. Also look at what firmware is needed for that. You need to have a console on 3.55 or less. And the PS3 seen keeps releasing updates and haven't stopped. In my opinion I think it will be around for a while. Hopefully they can find a way to exploit 6.3 or 7 someday but in the meantime I think they will be around for a while. In my opinion.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It has had two updates just within the last few weeks. There's no point in trying to troll.

Do those updates have 6+ support? No. Can you play Pokemon or MH3? No. Can you go online in any game? No. Is Nintendo releasing 3DS updates constantly? Yes.

Kalker3

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do those updates have 6+ support? No. Can you play Pokemon or MH3? No. Can you go online in any game? No. Is Nintendo releasing 3DS updates constantly? Yes.

Will the gateway release more updates? Yes
Were the most recent updates beta updates? Yes
Are they still working on it? Yes.

I doubt it'll die that soon.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Just ignore him. He's just upset that he can't play pirated games on his 6.x 3DS.

lol anything you need to pirate i already own in retail my friend, if gateway gets homebrew then i'm interested. Thats funny tho anyone who thinks the gateway will fail is suddenly deemed jealous for not having one.

deoFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol anything you need to pirate i already own in retail my friend, if gateway gets homebrew then i'm interested.
I'm not your friend, buddy.

Thats funny tho anyone who thinks the gateway will fail is suddenly deemed jealous for not having one.
Interesting straw man.

Do those updates have 6+ support?
You clearly don't understand the complexities of creating exploits for the 3DS. Lack of a exploit for newer firmwares hardly constitutes death of the gateway.

Can you play Pokemon or MH3?.
Said to be coming in the newest non-beta version.

Can you go online in any game?
GW team said they would work on this for a future release.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Can you hack a PS3 past 4.55? No, and it's been half a decade. That's the name of the game with these hacks/exploits. People who want them will find a way to get them. The answer to your second and third questions is yes, with 2.0 final.

Who cares if Nintendo is constantly releasing updates. GW is constantly updating their emuNAND. The official updates always start slowing down at some point. Right now they're just trying to outrun the exploit and make 4.5 systems scarcer.

In any case, just because they aren't releasing one or two features specific to your needs or wants does not mean they are dead/dying. Far from it. If you don't have a flash cart and never will, then you don't need to chip in with false info.

Ennea

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys lets not fight or insult each other :) I think it's a good thing to buy games and we shouldn't stop buying games we like because of GW or any flash card .... Only time will tell us how long GW will last but I hope they'll keep inovating and bringing great features to the 3ds comunity. Predictions on how long they will last are useless and it will only clutter the forum imho.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I'm surprised of how fast Gateway got some Fanboys. Now all other 3DS Flashcarts are Gateway Clones. All 3DS Hacks were possible thanks to Gateway, etc.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm surprised of how fast Gateway got some Fanboys. Now all other 3DS Flashcarts are Gateway Clones. All 3DS Hacks were possible thanks to Gateway, etc.
I have yet to see a gateway fanboy. I have seen people want all sorts of very odd things (mainly "I want something like my DSTwo but what runs 3ds roms") and then when it turns out it can not happen they declare it useless. Others with more grounded perspectives (like say having seen early stage hacking gear before) seem to try to counter a few of these things and then it all falls apart.

DarkKnigh_t

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
some people buy games, some people cant afford games and some do both and it doesn't matter we cant judge anyones moral or financial situation. i personaly got a 3ds xl as a presant and Pokémon with it so i decided i would buy games that i really want. now gateway might last a year or less or more we dont know but the qurstion stands. nintendo has been realesing updates fast now and im not sure gateway can keep up well see time will tell.

Kane49

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

The first statement is a fact, all currently available 3DS Flashcarts are gateway clones.

I don't know when or if gateway will die but I'am sure it will be after someone (maybe fierce waffles group? they don't seem all uppidy about piracy and have actually made progress) has made it obsolete and no more money is being made.

The supply of 4.5 3DS drying up however is a non issue, it didn't change shit for the PS3 and that thing is out of commission now.
Hell, i can buy loads 4.5 3DS in stores lol

JonnyMohawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually they did find a exploit above 3.55 but its hardware exploit
Oh, the optical drive emulator, I don't think that went over very well. Aren't they still working on that?

The PS3 now has custom firmware to 4.50 and it can be installed on any console with official firmware 3.55 or below. It can run 'backups' of every commercial game released without issue... true we were stuck on 3.55 for a long time (mostly waiting for keys from the newer firmwares) but just like gateway is doing now we found ways to work with what we had until something better came along.

It is possible to downgrade a PS3 on firmware over 3.55 but it isn't really an exploit, you have to use hardware flashers like teensy or e3. The process isn't terribly difficult but can brick your device if even the slightest mistake is made.

For those interested in running backups on official firmware, ps3 drive emulation has been out for quite sometime and works very effectively:
http://www.3k3y.com/how-it-works/
http://www.cobra-ode.com

Reactions: ElYubiYubi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Tattle-tale :creep: