So how exactly does usenet work?

Prizesinferno

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All over this forum i hear people talking about usenet and for being the computer nerd that i am, im suprised ive never heard of it. Is it a file sharing system or is it just to distribute news and info, and lastly is it worth it?

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
See my sig, there's a link to a tutorial I wrote
smile.gif

SomeGuyGG

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All over this forum i hear people talking about usenet and for being the computer nerd that i am, im suprised ive never heard of it.Â

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

QUOTE said:
Is it a file sharing system or is it just to distribute news and info

Instead of downloading from other users you download from a server. It is insanely fast all the time, usually maxing out your connection if you let it.

and lastly is it worth it?

HELL YA!

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
While sinkhead's tutorial is fine, it's more of a step-by-step tutorial.

If you want to know how it works, you can read Slyck's NG page. I learned a lot from them.

And the program I suggest you use is Alt.Binz, it's free.

Kuronekokun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been curious about usenet for a while, and want to try it out.

Are there any sites that you would recommend to sign up on?
(I took a look at the rankings in the tutorial, and http://www.powerusenet.com/ seems pretty good, but I'm not really sure.)

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its more legal in the sense that you don't have to share. When you download a torrent, you're simultaneously downloading and then uploading what you've downloaded to other torrent users. Kind of like with drug dealing its worse to share than to take. With usenet you just take... and if you get a SSL connection, its near impossible to see what is being downloaded. With a torrent for instance it isn't entirely implausible that someone can connect to the torrent to get a list of IPs to then report (or the authorities doing it themselves).

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The best thing about Usenet is that you don't need to upload anything, and the speed is always stable and fast.

Other advantages include:
-Being able to get releases right when they come out
-Very long retention (120 days+) for everything, no need to worry about not having 'seeds'

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Putting binary downloading aside for a moment...
It's also a great source of information that's been around for ages. It uses a hierarchical structure so you can find a broad group that pertains to your interests and move down the structure to exactly what you're interested in. Text files keep forever, so you can find discussions from the very beginning of usenet on virtually any topic imaginable.

Just thought I'd throw that in for good measure, lol, obviously not what the OP was concerned about, but there we are.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning