SO. Given the Gateway Team's determination and successes,

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Thirty3Three, May 23, 2014.

1. Thirty3Three
    OP

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Do you think that they'll get games such as Super Smash Bros. 3DS, the very likely Majora's Mask 3DS, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby, and other such games to work in the future?
    I just want to know your opinions on this matter.

Personally, I see them getting them to work. I think they will.

2. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I think they might, dunno how long the updates will take tho.... Personally I'm waiting for a open source "backup launcher" that we can run from our gateways, that way we could implement fixes ourselves.

the-green likes this.
  3. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah, but that takes money out of the equation....most devs who are capable of hacking the 3ds have no interest in helping piracy, and gateway wants money.....right now gateway are the only team fixing and releasing stuff, if they get cut out of the picture it just leaves dev's who don't want to help piracy, so forgive me if i would prefer gateway to still have an incentive to keep working at it

placebooooo, opal and Nightwish like this.
  4. Vengenceonu

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    If you're good at something, never do it for free.

-The Joker

IronClouds and gamesquest1 like this.
  5. tbgtbg
    This message by tbgtbg has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 24, 2014, Reason: I'll ruin the thread then. Stay on topic pls.
    May 23, 2014
  6. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 24, 2014, Reason: I'll ruin the thread then. Stay on topic pls.
    May 23, 2014
  7. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    I belive their focus now is to find a new exploit to higher ofw. This way they will sell a lot more gateways and will buy the moon.

8. ScarletCrystals
    This message by ScarletCrystals has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 24, 2014, Reason: I'll ruin the thread then. Stay on topic pls.
    May 23, 2014
  9. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Not if you still need a gateway to run it.

10. Thirty3Three
    This message by Thirty3Three has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 24, 2014, Reason: I'll ruin the thread then. Stay on topic pls.
    May 23, 2014
  11. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    if there is dev's who step out and seem competent, sure thing, but if a botch job hack came out and took gateways sales away....they stop working on it and the free loader is getting no future support.....in that case, i would prefer gateway to stick around and keep working on it....atm its more of a forced contribution to the only dev's releasing anything

12. chrisrlink

chrisrlink your friendly neighborhood serial killer

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    Elm street
    true they make Updates "free" for GW Users but what I would like to see is a cheat engine bust Datel in the chops

13. IronClouds
    This message by IronClouds has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 24, 2014, Reason: I'll ruin the thread then. Stay on topic pls.
    May 23, 2014
  14. gamesquest1
    This message by gamesquest1 has been removed from public view by BORTZ, May 24, 2014, Reason: I'll ruin the thread then. Stay on topic pls.
    May 23, 2014
  15. Thirty3Three
    May 23, 2014
  16. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    If gateway packs their bags and leaves then.. the 3DS scene is DEAD. They are the only ones actively contributing currently.
    IF the constant cat and mouse game between Gateway and Nintendo should shift between homebrew devs and Nintendo due to gateway having left the scene then we will lose big time when Nintendo drops their next big update

Herobroski and gamesquest1 like this.
  17. opal

opal Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2008
    Poland
    Maybe we shoud donate some $ so they will have the power and motivation to work for us and keep us happy :)

Herobroski likes this.
  18. alepman89

alepman89 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2013
    SSB on WiiU have the NFC feature (SSB figurine collection)
    and for 3DS probably SSB is the first 3DS cart with NFC feature,
    [​IMG]
    others predict the newest 3DS model well have nfc chip like the Wiiupad,
    this well be the next cashcow for Nintendo like Skylanders and Disney infinite

1 person likes this.
  19. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Well, so far they have not been able to block GW.
    It only works on 4.x firmware to begin with, and seems to act like a retail cart minus the way it's loaded, so I'm not sure how they can ever block it.
    Even if they add AP patches, GW are probably able to decrypt the ROM already so patching it will be a trivial issue to them.

20. SuperSVGA

SuperSVGA GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    United States
    If we just made an open source version of Gateways launcher we could probably go a long way. Imagine if we could just redirect the gamecard to load a file on the SD card. Maybe if other devs were working on the software the Gateway team could spend more time on an exploit for higher firmware. Although if they only care about the money, I guess they would have to make it only work with their card.

21. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    From http://www.polygon.com/2014/5/22/5742704/super-smash-bros-wii-u-nfc:
    Since SSB is coming out this year, that means it won't have NFC.

22. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    If the games come with the new keys, it may be quite hard for the Gateway team to enable the games. Or at least with the current way of things (any program with the new keys won't work).

23. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Games come with new keys? You mean like AP? I thought only the system had its own keys. I remember Sony eventually updated their PS3 keys so they're always random or something, and that's why it took so damn long for the newer 4.x consoles to be hacked- (at least to a degree. The ODE stuff.)

I'm sure Gateway will get it working on newer games even if they do run into certain issues.

24. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    What he means is that games built for a minimum firmware version that's higher than what Gateway currently allows. I believe games and applications built with 7.x keys don't work (which is why Pokémon Bank will hang at the 3DS logo when launched in a Gateway setup).

25. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Oh. I gotcha, thanks! Well, it's good thing they've got money and competition as motivators, eh? I'm sure they'll break the encryption. But then they'll likely have to do it again for 8.x, haha.

26. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Not necessarily. The keys were changed only in 7.x and only with certain titles so far (not all 7.x games use the new keys, such as 7.1 eshop vs 7.2 eshop).

27. Thirty3Three
    OP

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Gotcha. Do ya think they'll go so far as to keep changing the keys? Surely it'd get monotonous?