So Gangnam style finally hit a billion.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country

If valuing talent, effort and lyrical substance in a song instead of just a hookline and a wierd dance makes me a dick, then I wear my title of dick proudly, sir. I'll happily have t shirts made up to celebrate my dickishness. I'll have 'Blaze is a dick' written in the skies and set a photo of it as my profile picture. I don't see any way in which is it wrong to hate people making millions for doing next to nothing while people who work hard and put their all in to everything just barely gain any recognition. Case and point, Paris Hilton is famous solely for being a rich slut with little to no marketable skills, getting through life on nought but looks and her dad's money. She's idolised by hundreds of thousands of people who think that acting like a stupid spoiled whore is ok, even something to aspire to. On the flip side, the paramedic who saved my life when I was stabbed in the chest, nobody even knows his name. He works frankly ridiculous hours tear-arsing across the county saving people from death for next to no money, and is he celebrated? Is he fuck. People would rather be Paris Hilton whores than heroic paramedics, firemen, etc. The world is a fucked up place, and there's NOTHING wrong with hating that.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If valuing talent, effort and lyrical substance in a song instead of just a hookline and a wierd dance makes me a dick, then I wear my title of dick proudly, sir. I'll happily have t shirts made up to celebrate my dickishness. I'll have 'Blaze is a dick' written in the skies and set a photo of it as my profile picture. I don't see any way in which is it wrong to hate people making millions for doing next to nothing while people who work hard and put their all in to everything just barely gain any recognition. Case and point, Paris Hilton is famous solely for being a rich slut with little to no marketable skills, getting through life on nought but looks and her dad's money. She's idolised by hundreds of thousands of people who think that acting like a stupid spoiled whore is ok, even something to aspire to. On the flip side, the paramedic who saved my life when I was stabbed in the chest, nobody even knows his name. He works frankly ridiculous hours tear-arsing across the county saving people from death for next to no money, and is he celebrated? Is he fuck. People would rather be Paris Hilton whores than heroic paramedics, firemen, etc. The world is a fucked up place, and there's NOTHING wrong with hating that.

Uh dude, the Paramedic doesn't do his job to get recognized. He doesn't do it for fame. He does it to help people, that's all. But that doesn't make him any less special. Hell it makes him more special because he's not doing it for selfish reasons.

But honestly, if you're going to be a dick and derail a thread, just get out.

Reactions: gamefan5

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uh dude, the Paramedic doesn't do his job to get recognized. He doesn't do it for fame. He does it to help people, that's all. But that doesn't make him any less special. Hell it makes him more special because he's not doing it for selfish reasons.

But honestly, if you're going to be a dick and derail a thread, just get out.

Just saying he deserves recognition far more than someone who learned how to use AutoTune. Not saying there's n place for music like Gangnam Style. Hell, if you find it catchy and it amuses you, fair enough, to each their own. I just struggle to understand the level of fame these people achieve and find it a little disheartening that the level of recognition is no longer proportional to the effort put in.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just saying he deserves recognition far more than someone who learned how to use AutoTune. Not saying there's n place for music like Gangnam Style. Hell, if you find it catchy and it amuses you, fair enough, to each their own. I just struggle to understand the level of fame these people achieve and find it a little disheartening that the level of recognition is no longer proportional to the effort put in.

Again dude, he's not doing it for recognition. If he did, then he would suck and would be no better than these people who you bash.

RikuCrafter

Trophies
XP
Country

What I think a lot of people around here and other places online forget is that he didn't choose the fame. The song was made to be for Korea, its the power of word-of-mouth that spread it around. He isn't a spoilt brat, he has a wife and two kids to take care of. He works very hard travelling and doing the dance day after day - he isn't just sitting back and letting the cash roll in.

Yes, I am a K-Pop fan and a huge fan of Psy. He's an inspiration to me. You can have your opinion on the song, but you are wrong to put him in the same boat as Paris Hilton.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
What I think a lot of people around here and other places online forget is that he didn't choose the fame. The song was made to be for Korea, its the power of word-of-mouth that spread it around. He isn't a spoilt brat, he has a wife and two kids to take care of. He works very hard travelling and doing the dance day after day - he isn't just sitting back and letting the cash roll in.

Yes, I am a K-Pop fan and a huge fan of Psy. He's an inspiration to me. You can have your opinion on the song, but you are wrong to put him in the same boat as Paris Hilton.

And he says his inspiration for his music and image is Freddy Mercury. Freddy Motherfucking Mercury.

That makes him alright in my book.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okay, okay, three points...

1) Nobody seriously idolizes Paris Hilton. There was a fascination, sure, but it's more akin to schadenfreude (How will she be a complete fuck up this time?) than anything else. She's an anti-role model; people see celebrities like her and feel better about themselves and the choices they've made. See also Lindsay Lohan, The Jersey Shore.

(Plus, is Paris Hilton really your most topical example? Really?)

2) Gangnam Style isn't the vapid, meaningless drivel you seem to think it is. I had a fascinating time reading about how the song and music video act as social commentary for Korean society. That doesn't exactly cross the culture gap, though, and so we just see a goofy music video with a catchy tune. You can't exactly blame the artist for that.

3) Whine more.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
2) Gangnam Style isn't the vapid, meaningless drivel you seem to think it is. I had a fascinating time reading about how the song and music video act as social commentary for Korean society. That doesn't exactly cross the culture gap, though, and so we just see a goofy music video with a catchy tune. You can't exactly blame the artist for that.
Not to mention that unlike a lot of popular artists, he wrote the song himself.

Reactions: Gahars

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't oppa that thing where you call males older than you oppa? 'Big brother'? Korean society has some social boundary thing where you can't befriend anybody older or younger than you. They need to be the same age (year) as you. I dunno how it works but I think gang am style was about that somewhat... A bit of fighting against oppression kinda thing.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea why people are complaining about his music being half assed.
It's obviously not.
It has lyrics that actually have a meaning in korean and who knows how much effort he put into it certainly not you.
The song has production value don't hate because you don't understand it.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's making all this money, and he's doing the work to back it up. A friend of mine goes to a school in Virginia that is mostly Korean students. Psy came down, did a mini-concert, and showed everyone exactly how to do the dance. Needless to say the crowd went nuts.

A few months back, Amazon did a special, tweet your answer to a question, and they give you $0.99 in Amazon MP3 Credit. I plopped that little bit of money down to support PSY. Why not? Hell, the whole song is a parody of the famous people that everyone is relating him to now.

For those tiring of the jokes and parodies of the song, give it time; Gangnam Style will die off when someone does it perfectly. Just like Rickrolling died after Cartoon Network rickrolled everyone in a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He's making all this money, and he's doing the work to back it up. A friend of mine goes to a school in Virginia that is mostly Korean students. Psy came down, did a mini-concert, and showed everyone exactly how to do the dance. Needless to say the crowd went nuts.

A few months back, Amazon did a special, tweet your answer to a question, and they give you $0.99 in Amazon MP3 Credit. I plopped that little bit of money down to support PSY. Why not? Hell, the whole song is a parody of the famous people that everyone is relating him to now.

For those tiring of the jokes and parodies of the song, give it time; Gangnam Style will die off when someone does it perfectly. Just like Rickrolling died after Cartoon Network rickrolled everyone in a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Hm.. I don't know, I swear he was lip syncing. But hey, I'll never get tired of that song, mainly because :

CHRONO TRIGGER FTW!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1