PS1/2 So far, are there any advantages to getting a phat PS3?

ShinraArmy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll finally be able to pickup a Ps3 soon, and tho i like the bulky machine ill probably ickup the slim model, seeing as it has a couple advantages, that is, unless theres any hack that can only be done to the phat model so far

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No "hacks" per say, however, with the slim model, they will be removing the option the install an "OtherOS." That means no more native Linux installations unless the community gets something sorted with it.

There may be more but I really haven't read up on what is being removed/added to the slims.

ShinraArmy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That might be bad for me, i have some videos on hd i plan to watch on the PS3, however they are mkv formato so im not too sure ill be able to play them on the PS3's regular OS...

also, any idea if slim havs wifi?

jphriendly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure it will still have wifi built in.

Edit: Some more info....

QUOTE said:
Like the 80GB and 160GB models, the 120GB PS3 Slim has built-in Wi-Fi and two USB ports (sorry, Sony didn't add IR or backwards compatibility for PS2 games). You can also upgrade/replace the hard drive without voiding the warranty, though Sony has moved the hard drive from the side of the unit to the front for "easier access." (To remove the hard drive, you simply unscrew two screws). The one feature missing from the Slim is the ability to install another operating system (i.e., Linux)--Sony is doing away with that feature.

news.cnet.com

rustybanana

Trophies
XP
Country
Use a program called mkv2vob and in it will convert your mkv in a few mins and keep all the quality which will then stream fine to the ps3
wink.gif

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just put them on the PS3 via a usb flash drive
its what I do

mainly all the AXXO release always work without needing a conversion
I have about 40 movies on my PS3 hdd

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
install PMS (PS3 Media Server, google it) and you will wonder how you lived without this software before it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?