so do you think the ps3

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by CJL18, Jun 18, 2008.

Jun 18, 2008

so do you think the ps3 by CJL18 at 3:43 PM (2,092 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. CJL18
    OP

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    will be hacked this year. sony was smart it took them what a month to hackthe wii and the 360 was already hacked before it came out. Will people beable to play backups on there ps3 this year

2. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    I''m pretty sure some people in the scene are already playing back ups they just haven't released the tools yet.

But really MGS4 and almost all PS3 exclusives are very much worth the money.

3. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    I see a decline in pirating console games for the next couple of years.
    It's getting a lot harder to play backups and it's going to be a lot more trouble than it's worth.
    No one is going to want to buy a Bluray drive to burn their massive bluray iso that took weeks to download.
    It just seems like a whole lot of trouble, only, to play backups.
    The PS3 is only the first stage of the decline in piracy.

But then again, technology advances commercially at a fast pace. So there's still hope, for those that want to dish out all that money.

4. TaMs

Member TaMs Randomizer

Finland
    I'd say no. Actually I prefer buying ps3 games than getting them from the internets. And I don't really feel like downloading such a huge games.
    Blu-ray for ps3 was a smart move considering piracy. Also sony learned from psp incident how to make "hacker proof" firmwares (Atleasti I think that they learned something : p)

5. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    If you look at the 360 scene, image size isn't an issue.

People are willing to download Lost Odyssey (4 discs of 7.5GB = 30GB), Blue Dragon, whatever other games that have multiple discs.
    That means people are willing to download every single PS3 game out there if they don't have to buy the real thing.

Think about it, BD-writers cost like 4 PS3 games, 1 PS3 game costs like 4-5 blank BD discs. If you burn 6 PS3 games then you've saved money by pirating. (Given that there's an CFW/exploit that allows to run burned BDs)

While Sony spends their money on developing hard-to-pirate BD and hard-to-modify firmwares and such, some game companies are going "they're gonna need to buy the game if they want to play, because we're gonna make this lameass controller mandatory to play the game."
    I mean, who's gonna download Guitar Hero On Tour just to see the game saying you can't play it without that stupid fret GBA slot addon?
    Telling the world you're a pirate by posting "WTB Wii Fit controller only"? (Obviously your friend/dog broke your controller because that's what happens to everyone who don't have manuals or special controllers)

6. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Wait, the 360 was hacked before it came out? What?

7. deathfisaro

Canada
    Games get dumped before release dates, I think the consoles were leaked via similar route and were hacked.

But I thought Wii got hacked on its launch date. That's just what I heard so maybe not.

8. Bob Loblaw

United States
    The PS3 pirates use an ISO loader from what I've seen. So, no need for BD blanks and burner. But still like someone said 25 to 50 gb is a whole lot of bandwidth.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    problem with that is who is going to buy a hard drive big enough to store all the ps3 games? a sata 2.5" 500gb is quite expensive right now, and running ps3 games via a external hard drive won't be a option as usb is way too slow anyway.

i think the more logical solution would to get a blu ray burner and blank blu ray discs, thus saving valuable hard drive space for game installs and so on, it won't be a while till this happens though.

oh and the fact that broadband connections are way too slow to download that amount of data fast, with some ISP traffic shaping the connection it would take days to download a ps3 iso.

10. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I'll buy one when they are £199

11. Supah Eirian

Newcomer Supah Eirian Advanced Member

United States
    Piracy is bad, mmkay.

If we don't pay for our games, they're going to eventually become shitty and maybe even, non-existant. I know the number of people doing this is miniscule compared to the consumer market, but if the mentality persists that it is OK to download, it will become the norm.

I really think people already are, using something on an SD card to boot ISO, or someshit. I'm sure the time will come, but I'm gonna buy games I like, fuck all the rest.

12. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Lol well then wtf are you doing on GBATemp?

13. SavageWaffle

Member SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Some people figured it out, just not sharing.

14. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    rumors, nothing but rumors i say...

also: when the ps2 got hacked first dvd burners were pricey and a dvd iso was also too big to download.

15. Masta_mind257

Member Masta_mind257 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Hacking a PS3 will only give us the pirates blues, we'll be able to play evryting but it won't be as fun, hopefully it doesn't get hacked

16. deathfisaro

Canada
    Being able to play everything hasn't stopped me from juicing out every last bit of every game I play. Like several 360 games I play even after getting 1000/1000 achievements.

PS3 getting hacked -> more people buy PS3 because it's hacked -> more people will be online because PSN is free anyway -> because of the booming online community more non-pirates will buy the console and games -> high console and game sales mean more games and better quality games coming out for the PS3 -> more good games means more people (both pirates and non-pirates) buying the console and games, and increasing online community -> infinite loop.

It's happened to the 360, I'm so very certain the same thing will happen to PS3 once it's hacked. Of course it won't sell as many consoles because there won't be as many broken hardware (be it bricking or YLOD) but surely significantly more than now. (Now as in generally, not this MGS4 season)

17. xalphax

Member xalphax Internet killed the Ponystar.

Croatia
    exactly.

the ps1 won because people were able to pirate, the ps3 loses because people are not.

18. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    And the ones that are out don't even fit on the PS3.

19. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    Yeah thats news to me too.

20. Bob Loblaw

United States
    battlefield bad company for ps3 is around 6gb i think 5.8 or something