Gaming So apparently the Dragon Quest XI music is bad?

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I haven't played a ton of DQ in my day, but I do enjoy a classic JRPG from time to time and DQXI has a long demo so that's what I've been doing. Thanks to cookies, I've seen things pop up on the internet about the music being atrocious. I haven't really experienced that yet. I love the main theme, and while town themes may not be especially memorable, they are far from grating. Is this just mob mentality or do I just have bad ears?

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I completed it on ps4 few months back over 80 hours and saying to myself the music is very repetive and quite dull when compare to the likes of ff7 and considering the amount of staff on the credits screen it is quite dreadful the sound didn't hav much more variety-I can't recall any music from the game unlike ff7

Last edited by DANTENDO,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally enjoy the music on the switch. I believe it's done by sugiyama, who's done most of the dragon quest series, so the sound is dragon quest-esque.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you read this article

https://kotaku.com/i-keep-quitting-dragon-quest-xi-thanks-to-its-atrocious-1837743432

it's not atrocious, even for the low quality midi
I did. I then googled "Dragon Quest XI music bad" and
upload_2019-9-1_16-32-9.png

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
well the music are good in themselves, the problem is that they are not a lot of them (like you have one for cities, one or two for all dungeons, etc) and that they are the same we get in all dragon quest since forever. Imagine, you like some final fantasy music, now imagine all new final fantasy is just the same musics plastered everywhere, and without a lot of variety, again and again in every games... thats why people complain.

oh and also, apparently the guys that writed/orchestrated the music is a total jerk now, he is over strict with licencing, like when he agree to being registered its for a specific regional edition release of a game, and he dont even accept to be paid or anything to have the musics in another release or things like that, no he would only accept if it was to re-record everything for every version... and apparently if they cant even find someone else to do the musics for future games its because he have some specific contract about doing the music for dragon quest, but he also wont write new ones and thats why its always the sames, the guy is basically keeping the licence hostage

Last edited by Engezerstorung,
Reactions: SexiestManAlive

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so I haven't played a ton of DQ in my day, but I do enjoy a classic JRPG from time to time and DQXI has a long demo so that's what I've been doing. Thanks to cookies, I've seen things pop up on the internet about the music being atrocious. I haven't really experienced that yet. I love the main theme, and while town themes may not be especially memorable, they are far from grating. Is this just mob mentality or do I just have bad ears?

I've never known that series to have good music, really.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol