Apple So, anyone tried to JB their "updated-to-4.2.1" iPhone/iPod?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It will not brick your device.

Just un-jailbreak it.

Why would it brick?

EDIT: Apple isn't like Nintendo. They won't brick your hardware.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
iFish said:

Just un-jailbreak it.

Why would it brick?

you realize that microsoft performed a risky update (to fix jtag) before nintendo started updating boot2 via sysmenu to kill bootmii, right?

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mercluke said:
iFish said:

Just un-jailbreak it.

Why would it brick?

you realize that microsoft performed a risky update (to fix jtag) before nintendo started updating boot2 via sysmenu to kill bootmii, right?

Nope, didn't know that.

But my point still stands. This update cannot in any shape of form damage your hardwware...

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wait, if the jailbreak is a bootrom level one, wouldn't that means that when you update, you would still be jailbroken, but tethered? (instead of untethered)

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
metamaster said:
Wait, if the jailbreak is a bootrom level one, wouldn't that means that when you update, you would still be jailbroken, but tethered? (instead of untethered)
Only if you update correctly. While the exploit is in the bootrom, the implementation is obviously not (because that would mean that bootrom could be overwritten, meaning Apple could update it). So the implementation depends on the IPSW installed. I think you can jailbreak on 4.2 (tethered of course) with redsn0w, but not 100% sure.

And is that a typo in the title, or is there already a 4.2.1? I though 4.2 was only released yesterday.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah OK, makes sense now (as much as Apple can
tongue.gif
). Thanks for the clarification.

Daku93

Trophies
Website
usrcheat.cwsurf.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The current Jailbreak was OK on my iPod touch 4G. But when I rebooted without hooking it to a computer Safari allways crashed instantly. I thought semi-tethered would mean I can use all features except jailbreak apps after a reboot.

cr235

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i eventually managed to update to 4.2.1 after the 400mb+ download (thanks apple!
angry.gif
)
my iphone 3gs (old bootrom) was having problems with the mac version of redsn0w.. it kept getting to the limera1n exploit part then crashing.

i then used a different computer running vista and redsn0w worked perfectly....

ive also noticed cydia is slightly different, is this only for 4.2.1?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
A new version of Cydia was created to work on iOS4.2 due to some incompatibility. The old versions have not included whatever small tweaks were included in this patch

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
cr235 said:
i eventually managed to update to 4.2.1 after the 400mb+ download (thanks apple!
angry.gif
)
my iphone 3gs (old bootrom) was having problems with the mac version of redsn0w.. it kept getting to the limera1n exploit part then crashing.

i then used a different computer running vista and redsn0w worked perfectly....

ive also noticed cydia is slightly different, is this only for 4.2.1?
It's exclusive to redsn0w 0.9.6b4 (the latest one), which is compatible with iOS 4.1 and 4.2.1.
smile.gif

metamaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Daku93 said:
The current Jailbreak was OK on my iPod touch 4G. But when I rebooted without hooking it to a computer Safari allways crashed instantly. I thought semi-tethered would mean I can use all features except jailbreak apps after a reboot.
I heard somewhere that it has something to do with the file moves that Cydia makes. Might as well wait for the untethered jailbreak to come out, it should be soon enough.

cr235

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamstruth said:
A new version of Cydia was created to work on iOS4.2 due to some incompatibility. The old versions have not included whatever small tweaks were included in this patch

just looked about and apparantly apple changed some API's that cydia needs...

and thats not all, they've added a baseband requirement... http://www.iphonehacks.com/2010/11/apple-h...-ios-4-2-1.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the...