So,smea says homebrew will not automately run faster on N3ds now

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by pdapanda, Oct 27, 2015.

1. pdapanda
    OP

pdapanda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 19, 2014
    Switzerland

https://twitter.com/smealum/status/659101054491951105

So that means,some homebrews designed for Ninjhax2.1 won’t get speed boost on N3ds 2.5.
    Just tried the lynx emulator,handy3ds.It runs 40fps now on a n3ds.It used to run at over 80FPS on *hax2.1

Last edited by pdapanda, Oct 27, 2015
    Tigroid likes this.
  2. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    All that means is that the devs will have to update their stuff. Just be patient and everything will be in working order again.

Tigroid likes this.
  3. smealum

smealum growing up sucks.

May 1, 2006
    United States
    SF
    yeah this is a side-effect of the fact that hax 2.5 handles some stuff (APT) properly where 2.1 completely ignored it.

as stated in the tweet, all devs have to do is rebuild their app with latest master ctrulib and add osSetSpeedupEnable(true) to their initialization code. they can also toggle the speedup at any time with that same function. (people could make a battery-saver mode for example)

i tried to make sure people who worked on performance-critical stuff (so emulators for the most part) like endrift, aliaspider and staplebutter updated their stuff in time for 2.5, which i believe they did.

xmosh, klear, Pandaxclone2 and 9 others like this.
  4. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    I had a short conversation with @daxtsu about Wifi Toggle (not working at the moment with Hax 2.5) future development. At the end, @daxtsu suggested me to ask you whether you can add WIFI auto turn off feature option into the payload for future Hax? https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wifi-toggle.400018/page-2#post-5760182

Would like to turn off Wifi on home menu to avoid accidentally hit update on Ironfall game. When in HBL turn it on to have access to Eshop. And whenever quit HBL, WIFI is auto turned off.

Last edited by tivu100, Oct 28, 2015
    Tigroid likes this.
  5. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    To elaborate on that a bit more, I wasn't sure if that's even possible, but it certainly goes beyond what I as a simple user-land programmer can do, so if it was possible, it'd have to be in the payload/exploit.

6. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    That was a good decision for ctrulib, imo. Sure, most of the homebrew happening right now is with emulators, but if we get to the point where they get optimized enough to not need the extra CPU boost, it would be nice not to push the system to do something it doesn't need, therefore saving on battery life.

7. Kurt91

Kurt91 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 9, 2012
    United States
    Newport, WA
    So, I'm kind of curious. Does this mean that the RetroArch emulators haven't been set up to use the added boost yet, because they've already been getting better performance on New 3DS systems.

8. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I'm sure they were. It's only now that it's going to be optional rather than automatically enabled.