Homebrew Snickerstream - Unified NTR and HzMod streaming client for the 3DS

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you all for the feedback I've got so far, it's great to see so many people interested in Snickerstream! :yay3ds:
While I'm here, let me give you a quick update on what's coming next for this tool:
  • Hardware acceleration. The next version will use Direct2D instead of GDI+ as its rendering library. This will bring a lot of performance improvements (lower CPU usage, smoother framerates because - as I said - the CPU has to work way less, less screen tearing) so Snickerstream at its worst will perform just as well as NTRViewer does right now, all of it while still being Wine friendly (Wine added D2D support some years ago) and still without needing any external DLLs! The only downsides are that there will be less interpolation options (Nearest Neighbor and Linear) and Windows XP will be no longer supported (but let's face it, if you are still running XP then your PC probably has way bigger problems than not being able to run a 3DS screen streaming app- plus, XP was theorically compatible with previous versions, but practically you most probably didn't have a powerful enough CPU to run this app if you're using an old OS like that).
  • As hardware acceleration will be supported now, fullscreen will no longer be an experimental feature. You will be able to properly use it, without any screen stretching or performance drops! I'll also add fullscreen (bottom screen) and, if I'll make it in time, fullscreen (both screens).
  • Snickerstream will now init remoteplay by its own when connecting to a 3DS. No need for two separate buttons!
  • NFC patching, so you'll be able to stream Pokémon games and the like without using other programs or external patches.
I'm trying to get this update out before the release of Ultra Sun/Moon. I'm not making any promises (due to IRL stuff, school and the like) but if everything goes well you'll be able to get a much better version for all your streaming needs ^_^

Last edited by RattletraPM,

Psi-hate

GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone who wants to play Pokemon/NFC games before the next snickerstream update, open up luma's menu and enable debugger in debugger options. This prevents anything from disabling wifi. I use this for playing pokemon moon :>

Reactions: RattletraPM

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably dumb question but looking at the readme it seems I need to enable remoteplay on my system, how do I do this? Through NTR?

EDIT: NVM I'm dumb I got it.

Last edited by pokemoner2500,

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
stuck on a black screen 0fps. Kitkat connects fine. Any clue?
Yes, basically anyone that's getting a blank screen has issues with software rendering. If you want to be sure it's that, then do this:
  • Open Snickerstream, then open Task Manager.
  • Go to the process list, right click on Snickerstream's process and click on "set affinity". From here, uncheck everything but a single element, possibly one of the last ones, so that you're sure Snickerstream will be using one of your CPU threads that is usually free.
  • Connect to the 3DS.
  • In Task Manager, go to the performance tab and check the usage of the CPU thread you've selected (if you're on windows 10, right click on the graph, choose "change graph to" and click on "logical processors).
If you get a spike, then it's a software rendering issue. Just yesterday I've finished porting Snickerstream to Direct2D so this will be fixed in the next version (as long as your GPU isn't completely obsolete, aka it must have at least 128 MB of VRAM). In case I have time I'll show you a video devlog of the newer features and improvements soon!

EDIT: So, apparently USUM has leaked. I will still try to hit the official release date for Snickerstream's update though because, well, if you'll try to stream the game before it's officially released then guess what will happen. (SPOILER: You'll get your moment of fame, sure, but you'll surely get a hyperban or worse)

Last edited by RattletraPM,
Reactions: Deleted User

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, basically anyone that's getting a blank screen has issues with software rendering. If you want to be sure it's that, then do this:
  • Open Snickerstream, then open Task Manager.
  • Go to the process list, right click on Snickerstream's process and click on "set affinity". From here, uncheck everything but a single element, possibly one of the last ones, so that you're sure Snickerstream will be using one of your CPU threads that is usually free.
  • Connect to the 3DS.
  • In Task Manager, go to the performance tab and check the usage of the CPU thread you've selected (if you're on windows 10, right click on the graph, choose "change graph to" and click on "logical processors).
If you get a spike, then it's a software rendering issue. Just yesterday I've finished porting Snickerstream to Direct2D so this will be fixed in the next version (as long as your GPU isn't completely obsolete, aka it must have at least 128 MB of VRAM). In case I have time I'll show you a video devlog of the newer features and improvements soon!

EDIT: So, apparently USUM has leaked. I will still try to hit the official release date for Snickerstream's update though because, well, if you'll try to stream the game before it's officially released then guess what will happen. (SPOILER: You'll get your moment of fame, sure, but you'll surely get a hyperban or worse)
That appears to be it. I'll wait in that case.

Find

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The stream only streams the home menu and not any other game. For example if I start snickerstream, it's black screen and still displays like 20-30 fps, and when I leave to the home menu, it streams normally, but going back in game causes the stream to freeze.

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The stream only streams the home menu and not any other game. For example if I start snickerstream, it's black screen and still displays like 20-30 fps, and when I leave to the home menu, it streams normally, but going back in game causes the stream to freeze.
What games are you trying to stream?

Find

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What games are you trying to stream?
so currently the games I found out that don't work are, Mario Party: Star Rush, All of the Etrian Odyssey Games, Minecraft, Rhythm Heaven: Megamix
games that do work, Terraria, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Super Mario Maker, Kirby Triple Deluxe,

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can provide a video of what it looks like tomorrow or something

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
so currently the games I found out that don't work are, Mario Party: Star Rush, All of the Etrian Odyssey Games, Minecraft, Rhythm Heaven: Megamix
games that do work, Terraria, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Super Mario Maker, Kirby Triple Deluxe,

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I can provide a video of what it looks like tomorrow or something
That's strange, I just tried some of the non-working ones and it works just fine on my end. Doesn't look like it's something caused by NFC either.
Just to be sure, try if NTRViewer works when streaming them - if not, post a log here with loglevel set to 3.

Find

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59GHz
16.0 GB RAM
64-bit

Attachments

• log.txt
    220.4 KB · Views: 291

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
....today so :shy:
There's still a few things that I want to code and some bugs that I need to iron out but all the new important stuff is already there. So I don't know if I'll be able to release it today but I surely will in the next few ones!
(I'll post a video devlog showcasing the new stuff tho, that's for sure ;))

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Le youtube face.