Homebrew Snickerstream - Unified NTR and HzMod streaming client for the 3DS

JtheDuelist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can stream the game (in this case MHGen) just fine, but whenever I try to find hubs online, it just boots me back to the previous screen in-game as if it can't connect. I wasn't having this problem about 2 weeks ago (I could stream and connect to hubs simultaneously, but would get DC'd every now and then), and I haven't changed anything on either the 3DS or the PC in terms of settings. How can I fix this?

EDIT: Nevermind- it was because I had NTR cheat plugins that were running on the same NTR setting.

Last edited by JtheDuelist,

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Kept you waiting, huh? I know it’s been a while even for my own standards but well, this time something different happened. I originally intended to release a small update bringing some little improvements and bug fixes earlier and then a big one later but then I decided to go directly to the big one instead. So that’s why I took so long to release it.

Anyways, here’s the “Crossing the streams” update, aka v1.10 ,aka I wanted to use semantic versioning from now on but it would break the update warner. You’ll see that the changelog below is pretty darn massive but the crème of the crop is no doubt HzMod support, something I’ve hinted at a lot before but that now is finally here.

HzMod is a very neat alternative to NTR by @Sono which has been around for a while now, but in my honest opinion is very underrated (it’s known for working on both o3DS as well as n3DS consoles but believe me, there’s so much more!) We collaborated to make Snickerstream support it and even if it’s not 100% compatible yet the latest version works just fine with all games except a very small batch that need to stream their frames using TARGA. As HzMod is much more complex under the hood than NTR I’ve decided to roll out support for it gradually, beginning from an “usable” starting point (this version) and then improving with each later version until it’s perfect. For now however, it should still be considered experimental to some degree.

So, if you have never used HzMod yet you might wonder what are its ups and downs against NTR. Well, open the spoiler below and see for yourself!

**Pros:**

* Best compatibility

* It works on both New and Old 2/3DS consoles

* It's much cleaner and less prone to crashing

* Supports streaming multiple 3DSes to the same PC out of the box

* Doesn't close when soft resetting or closing a game

* You can change the stream's quality in real time

**Cons:**

* Worse performance than NTR, but if still acceptable

* The current version (the only one supported by Snickerstream right now, but that will change with the next updates) only streams the top screen

* Some games stream their frames using TARGA, which Snickerstream currently does not support (again, this is a problem with Snickerstream that will be addressed soon)

* Some games can experience slowdowns (you can tweak your settings to fix this, however)

* Performance on old 3DS consoles is rather bad

* Doesn’t support NFC patching due to a bug (you can get around this on a New 2/3DS, but there’s currently no way around it on old 3DS consoles)

This makes it a very valid alternative to NTR if you ask me, especially for shiny hunters, people who have an unstable connection and also those to whom NTR simply won’t run on their console. So, hey – why don’t you give HzMod a try? You literally need to install two or three CIAs to install it so it literally takes only a couple of minutes to set it up! And I’ll cry if you won’t even try it after all I went through to add support for it. But hey, if you like it then please show @Sono some appreciation!

Still, we’re not yet finished with the changelog. In fact, we’re just started! Here’s the rest of it:

**New features**

* Initial HzMod support (of course!)

* The Direct2D renderer has been updated from D2D v1.0 to v1.1. This was mainly required for HzMod support but it also bumped up the interpolation mode count from 2 to 6!

* A function to remap the hotkeys without having to edit the INI file manually has been added to the advanced menu.

* More logging options: you can now log to a file, a console window or both. Also, logging at loglevel 3 is a little less spammy now.

**Improvements & Bug fixes:**

* The renderer combobox has been moved to the advanced menu. The streaming app selection takes its old place. This marks the official deprecation of the GDI+ renderer.

* Snickerstream no longer your logs CPU and GPU model. The function being used was a bit of a mess and caused crashes at startup in some _very_ rare cases – just two recorded ones, if you’re being curious. Considering that this info was rarely needed for troubleshooting after adding Direct2D support, I just decided to remove it altogether.

* Fixed some typos.

* _Slightly_ made the source code better to look at. Just _slightly_.

* [Bugfix] You can now specify a custom width & height (DPI fix) for the bottom screen window in separate windows mode.

* [Bugfix] The default hotkeys will now be restored if an invalid number of hotkeys is found in settings.ini instead of being simply refusing to read them.

* [Bugfix] Fixed a bug affecting real time screen scaling in GDI+.

* [Bugfix] Top and bottom scaling factor inputs in the adv menu aren't limited only to decimal chars anymore (so you can now enter dots).

Still, there are two important things to keep in mind. First off, the GDI+ renderer will be deprecated from now on, which means it can still be used but it will receive no updates or bugfixes starting from the next versions, and if a critical bug shows up I’ll just remove it altogether. No one used it since the D2D one was implemented (in fact there was little reason to do so, it was only kept for legacy reasons) and now with D2D 1.1 there’s literally no reason to use it so it’s just slowing development down.

Secondly, this should affect virtually no one but upgrading the renderer from D2D 1.0 to 1.1 made Snickerstream incompatible with not just XP but Vista too. Windows 7 is still compatible but it needs the Platform Update to be installed (which you should have by now as it’s a pretty old free update) while later versions are compatible out of the box.

Lastly, Snickerstream now has a proper wiki with guides, troubleshooting help and proper documentation! Check it out by following this link right here.

As usual, you can grab this version from the GitHub releases page. Have fun streaming! :D

Last edited by RattletraPM,

Diego788

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Kept you waiting, huh? I know it’s been a while even for my own standards but well, this time something different happened. I originally intended to release a small update bringing some little improvements and bug fixes earlier and then a big one later but then I decided to go directly to the big one instead. So that’s why I took so long to release it.

Anyways, here’s the “Crossing the streams” update, aka v1.10 ,aka I wanted to use semantic versioning from now on but it would break the update warner. You’ll see that the changelog below is pretty darn massive but the crème of the crop is no doubt HzMod support, something I’ve hinted at a lot before but that now is finally here.

HzMod is a very neat alternative to NTR by @Sono which has been around for a while now, but in my honest opinion is very underrated (it’s known for working on both o3DS as well as n3DS consoles but believe me, there’s so much more!) We collaborated to make Snickerstream support it and even if it’s not 100% compatible yet the latest version works just fine with all games except a very small batch that need to stream their frames using TARGA. As HzMod is much more complex under the hood than NTR I’ve decided to roll out support for it gradually, beginning from an “usable” starting point (this version) and then improving with each later version until it’s perfect. For now however, it should still be considered experimental to some degree.

So, if you have never used HzMod yet you might wonder what are its ups and downs against NTR. Well, open the spoiler below and see for yourself!

**Pros:**

* Best compatibility

* It works on both New and Old 2/3DS consoles

* It's much cleaner and less prone to crashing

* Supports streaming multiple 3DSes to the same PC out of the box

* Doesn't close when soft resetting or closing a game

* You can change the stream's quality in real time

**Cons:**

* Worse performance than NTR, but if still acceptable

* The current version (the only one supported by Snickerstream right now, but that will change with the next updates) only streams the top screen

* Some games stream their frames using TARGA, which Snickerstream currently does not support (again, this is a problem with Snickerstream that will be addressed soon)

* Some games can experience slowdowns (you can tweak your settings to fix this, however)

* Performance on old 3DS consoles is rather bad

* Doesn’t support NFC patching due to a bug (you can get around this on a New 2/3DS, but there’s currently no way around it on old 3DS consoles)

This makes it a very valid alternative to NTR if you ask me, especially for shiny hunters, people who have an unstable connection and also those to whom NTR simply won’t run on their console. So, hey – why don’t you give HzMod a try? You literally need to install two or three CIAs to install it so it literally takes only a couple of minutes to set it up! And I’ll cry if you won’t even try it after all I went through to add support for it. But hey, if you like it then please show @Sono some appreciation!

Still, we’re not yet finished with the changelog. In fact, we’re just started! Here’s the rest of it:

**New features**

* Initial HzMod support (of course!)

* The Direct2D renderer has been updated from D2D v1.0 to v1.1. This was mainly required for HzMod support but it also bumped up the interpolation mode count from 2 to 6!

* A function to remap the hotkeys without having to edit the INI file manually has been added to the advanced menu.

* More logging options: you can now log to a file, a console window or both. Also, logging at loglevel 3 is a little less spammy now.

**Improvements & Bug fixes:**

* The renderer combobox has been moved to the advanced menu. The streaming app selection takes its old place. This marks the official deprecation of the GDI+ renderer.

* Snickerstream no longer your logs CPU and GPU model. The function being used was a bit of a mess and caused crashes at startup in some _very_ rare cases – just two recorded ones, if you’re being curious. Considering that this info was rarely needed for troubleshooting after adding Direct2D support, I just decided to remove it altogether.

* Fixed some typos.

* _Slightly_ made the source code better to look at. Just _slightly_.

* [Bugfix] You can now specify a custom width & height (DPI fix) for the bottom screen window in separate windows mode.

* [Bugfix] The default hotkeys will now be restored if an invalid number of hotkeys is found in settings.ini instead of being simply refusing to read them.

* [Bugfix] Fixed a bug affecting real time screen scaling in GDI+.

* [Bugfix] Top and bottom scaling factor inputs in the adv menu aren't limited only to decimal chars anymore (so you can now enter dots).

Still, there are two important things to keep in mind. First off, the GDI+ renderer will be deprecated from now on, which means it can still be used but it will receive no updates or bugfixes starting from the next versions, and if a critical bug shows up I’ll just remove it altogether. No one used it since the D2D one was implemented (in fact there was little reason to do so, it was only kept for legacy reasons) and now with D2D 1.1 there’s literally no reason to use it so it’s just slowing development down.

Secondly, this should affect virtually no one but upgrading the renderer from D2D 1.0 to 1.1 made Snickerstream incompatible with not just XP but Vista too. Windows 7 is still compatible but it needs the Platform Update to be installed (which you should have by now as it’s a pretty old free update) while later versions are compatible out of the box.

Lastly, Snickerstream now has a proper wiki with guides, troubleshooting help and proper documentation! Check it out by following this link right here.

As usual, you can grab this version from the GitHub releases page. Have fun streaming! :D

ok, now this is epic :yay:

ImInsane

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Someone can help me with this error? "Autoit Error" "Error: Variable used without being declared." This error starts since I reinstalled my Windows 7 on my PC.
  1. PS: Kit Kat Slim works fine,

Attachments

• Sem título.jpg
    Sem título.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited by ImInsane,

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Someone can help me with this error? "Autoit Error" "Error: Variable used without being declared." This error starts since I reinstalled my Windows 7 on my PC.
  1. PS: Kit Kat Slim works fine,
Do you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed? It's required for the latest version to work.
If you don't fancy downloading it separately from Microsoft's website then you can get it like any other update via Windows Update, it's completely free as usual and it only requires Service Pack 1 to be already installed.

Last edited by RattletraPM,
Reactions: ImInsane

ImInsane

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Do you have the Windows 7 Platform Update installed? It's required for the latest version to work.
If you don't fancy downloading it separately from Microsoft's website then you can get it like any other update via Windows Update.

Thanks, I will look foward to this.

Ratochu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I could use Snickerstream before the last two 3DS system updates. I tried it now and I'm getting the error "Could not start remoteplay on (N)3DS."

I have the last Luma version installed.
I have installed that BootNTRSelector-FONZD-Banner.cia
I have installed the Boot NTR CFW Selector, and it seems to be running well, as I when press X and Y I can check the NTR CFW 3.6 menu...

Am I missing something?

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I could use Snickerstream before the last two 3DS system updates. I tried it now and I'm getting the error "Could not start remoteplay on (N)3DS."

I have the last Luma version installed.
I have installed that BootNTRSelector-FONZD-Banner.cia
I have installed the Boot NTR CFW Selector, and it seems to be running well, as I when press X and Y I can check the NTR CFW 3.6 menu...

Am I missing something?
Nothing changed for NTR when it comes to those last two system updates so the problem must be somewhere else.
Try running NTRViewer and see if that works. If it doesn't then it's probably the usual firewall/av issue, so to confirm it post a log with loglevel 3.

ImInsane

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If you don't fancy downloading it separately from Microsoft's website then you can get it like any other update via Windows Update, it's completely free as usual and it only requires Service Pack 1 to be already installed.

Even after update my Windows he still not working, then I installed Python and he's working just fine.
Haha.

MJViper

Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Me and my friend are having some issues with crashes becuase of FPS we did use the patch and turned are
debugger but it still cashed after few mins and then when it crashes its a pain to put back on OBS hopefully someone can help me out it will do me and my friend good

Last edited by MJViper,

YuseiGo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I've been having some huge issues with streaming in general. My post isn't getting any more comments so I thought I'd ask the creator themselves. So firewall isn't an issue. I can connect with HorizonM fine but I can't show the bottom screen and I can't use NTR plugins so I abandoned that method. I switched to NTR and on my New 3ds XL I booted up NTR CFW Selector on 3.6, Enabled debugger, and started InputRedirection, but I still get this: (Anything I can do? The firewall's not the problem so I need help. Been at this for 2 days now.)
upload_2019-1-27_13-38-58.png

KyoIsHacking

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey, I've been having some huge issues with streaming in general. My post isn't getting any more comments so I thought I'd ask the creator themselves. So firewall isn't an issue. I can connect with HorizonM fine but I can't show the bottom screen and I can't use NTR plugins so I abandoned that method. I switched to NTR and on my New 3ds XL I booted up NTR CFW Selector on 3.6, Enabled debugger, and started InputRedirection, but I still get this: (Anything I can do? The firewall's not the problem so I need help. Been at this for 2 days now.)
View attachment 156407
I had this issue once too, try downloading the NTR 3.6 version onto your computer and patch it via the advanced settings in snickerstream, that's what i did and then it worked fine (I didn't even change the Port).

Firazoid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I seem to be having an odd series of errors having to do with multiple 3DSs and port changing.
The first Snickerstream is set to port 8001. It operates fine.
The second Snickerstream (and NTR Patch) has been set to ports 8002, 8050, and 8100. None of them connected.
The only way to get the second Snickerstream to connect is to set the port back to 8001 and not have the first 3DS running. This is most unusual, as the NTR was patched to 8050 when I tested this. In fact, it doesn't seem to matter what IP I enter. I can set Snickerstream to connect to 0.0.0.0 on port 8001, and it will connect to a 3DS at 192.168.1.73 on port 8050.

I am at a loss, and don't know what to try next.

konq3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My setup:
New 2DS XL, connected via Connectify Hotspot (directly to a PC with dedicated WiFi for that). I’m trying with NTR as well as HzMod. The PC is a super low power mini desktop though. I’m getting ~35 or more FPS when Snickerstream runs with the new 2DS overclocked via luma, however:

There are many (about one every 2-3 minutes at bad times) connection hiccups, freezes, slowdowns (to 3-5fps), and sometimes the connection is just gone. I tried with Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Shin Megami Tensei IV, among others.

Could I get a hint as to where my problems likely stem from?
a) is my PC too weak? (might strong hardware acceleration solve my problem?)
b) would I need to just fine tune the settings (frame cap in snickerstream, wifi settings, 2DS settings or something like that)
c) or is this just as good as it gets?

What are your experiences? And thanks for any help.

IcySon55

Leader of Fan Translators International
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey there guys,

I got Snickerstream up and running and I tried something interesting that resulted in, well... near 100% frame loss XD.

I added Snickerstream to my Steam list as a non-steam game and then tried to stream it to my TV (Steam In-Home streaming). The picture does show up, but for whatever reason, Snickerstream stays around 0 fps and maybe once every 5 seconds sends a few frames. So the image just locks up on the PC and of course the TV. But that's only when the image is being stretched by Steam. When I focus on the window, the framerate goes to 0, if I focus on something else the framerate jumps back to 27 fps, but then on the TV you see the whole desktop and the tiny 3DS window (top screen only for these tests).

It seems like it should work, but some incompatibility is causing massive frame drops. Would be cool to have this working!

Edit: I got it to work! I included OBS in the mix of things and was able to stream the 3DS to the TV!

Mini-tutorial for this configuration:
  1. Your TV has to be an Android TV capable of running the Steam Link (beta) app.
    1. Pre-connect/configure Steam Link to connect to Steam on your PC. (My TV and PC are wired to my LAN)
  2. Launch NTR v3.6 using the NTR selector. (My N3DS is on 11.9)
  3. Launch Snickerstream and connect to the N3DS. (I used a 2x scale for the top and a 1.5x scale for the bottom displayed vertically)
    1. Optionally you can use separate windows and create a custom layout for them in OBS.
  4. Open Steam and add OBS as a non-steam game.
  5. Launch OBS and configure it for output at any 16:9 resolution. (1920x1080 or 1280x720 are both good)
  6. Add Snickerstream as a source for either the vertical or split layout. Configure the view to your liking within the output space. And then close OBS.
  7. Connect to your PC from Steam Link, this will initiate big picture mode.
  8. Launch OBS from within big picture mode. (Snickerstream should still/already be running and streaming from your N3DS)
  9. Using your PC, right click on the preview in OBS and select "Fullscreen Projector (Source)" and select the display that big picture mode/obs is displayed on.
  10. Enjoy!
Not all steps are necessary after you have it all set up of course. Second time around should be quick~

Last edited by IcySon55,

croc87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello Everyone here, I had a question and need some help if it is possible. I have a new 3ds that is not the XL version and installed with luma 9.0-2a840f2 version and with NTR cfw version 2.11 and loads 3.6 of the selector. When i use snickerstream x64 version 1.10 also with older version, I have frames dropping or lost frames. When I see movies on youtube it looks smooth when they use the snickerstream. What is my problem that I have low frame rate? Or how can I solve this problem?????

croc87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also which one will perform better for NTR cfw selector? New 3ds, New3ds XL, 2ds or the new 2ds XL and why ??? Also myn question before is still there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1