Snezziboy DS Progress Update

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Sep 12, 2006.

Sep 12, 2006

Snezziboy DS Progress Update by Opium at 1:49 AM (3,427 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia

Snezziboy DS Progress Update

SNES emulation on the DS

Progress on snezziboy DS is continuely being made although snezziboy developers bubble2k and gladius have been extremely busy and occupied with other things.

"The work-in-progress of 0.27 has an overhauled graphics engine which seems to be running ok on the DS with sound. But there are other enhancements that are slated for this release, which I still would have to implement, " said bubble2k over at the pocketheaven forums.

Many will be happy to hear that in this new version 'Chrono Trigger' actually boots correctly with sound. However the sound is rather garbled.

No word on whether the emulator has any speed updates but it was said that 0.27 will only run on the DS (there won't be a GBA version of 0.27) as it takes advantage of the extra power the DS brings.

A vague October release for the improved snezziboy DS has been cited.

source: Pocketheaven forums

snezziboy DS homepage

2. dafatkid27

Member dafatkid27 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Awesome news, I've been following the SNES on DS emulation scene for a while now, and it's finally paying off. Hats off to bubble2k and gladius, as well as all the others who have helped!

3. Golds

Member Golds Old Member

United States
    I gotta test the chrono trigger, I'll just turn the sound off.
    good news.

4. StingX

Member StingX Hates Technology

United States
    so does this mean its playable or...just boots?

and any new games to add for compat list? [​IMG]

5. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Ah, glad to see some people are actively working on a SNES emulator for DS [​IMG]
    Thank you so much gladius and bubble2k!

we at GBAtemp will do our best to break the news as new versions of this emulator are released!

6. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    This is great news!! [​IMG]
    Hopefully this will correct most of the garbled graphics in most games. [​IMG]

7. Adventures_of_Lo

Newcomer Adventures_of_Lo Advanced Member

Finland
    Are there any plans to make this thing compatible with g6 lite?

8. PURPLEMUSTANG

Member PURPLEMUSTANG GBAtemp Regular

Turkey
    Chrono trigger and Shadowrun on the DS would rock.

9. dark omen xiii

Newcomer dark omen xiii Newbie

Netherlands
    Shadowrun is working on the current build. The screen gets garbled at times though (portraits in the menu), but it is playable.

10. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    i couldn't get chrono trigger (U)[!] to boot. anyone else have anyluck with this?
    steps i took
    -copy *.smc file into same directory
    -drag *.smc file into the .exe program
    -burn new *.smc.gba onto EZ2 cart without loader
    NO LUCK

[edit] it seems the .zip 's dont come with the *.dat file. Is this needed for this release ver.?
    [edit2] well seems i was using the old release, i found the newer version that wasn't on the main page version 0.26 HERE.
    but when i followed the steps now it wont boot on the DS, though it boots as a gba game inside the GBA frame. [not too sure how that makes it snezzids]
    anyways it's fairly garbled in most spots yet the main map is near perfect. cutscenes and text are near impossible to read.and when i got into the fair i couldnt move after i walked in. [​IMG]

But hey it boots and that means there is some progress happening, nice work none the less.
    verdict; [​IMG]
    Chrono Trigger (U) - boots but is unplayable

[​IMG]

11. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    It's already compatible with G6L [​IMG]

12. id242

Member id242 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm running SuperCard SD on DS.phat & another SuperCard DS.Lite (MicroSD) on DS.Lite
    Both firmware are 1.63

I couldn't get Snezzi 0.26 version which was posted on sourceforge to work.
    So I used the Snezzi 0.25a that was linked in this topic's MAIN POST by Opium.
    at http://www.forwardcoding.com/projects/snezzids/snezzids.html

Snezzi DS v0.25a (sound version)

1. Extract "snezzi.exe" and "snezzi.gba" to a new directory. (I called mine, "SNES")

2. Find your SNES Game ROM images someplace (SNES Rom-Reader, WWW Search Engine, NNTP, IRC...etc). The extension for the SNES Game ROM images will be " .SMC " -- So if you are looking for the US version of "Darius Twin", it could be called "Darius Twin (U).smc"... another example would be "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Turtles in Time (U).smc" for TMNT IV.

3. Take your *.SMC image files and put them all into the "SNES" directory you created in step 1.

4. Highlight and drag (up to 18 *.SMC files at a time) over the "snezzi.exe" file.

5. A DOS window will apear and several lines will flash by for a few seconds. After the DOS box dissapears, you will notice that there are several new " .GBA " files which have been created in your "SNES" directory.

6. Create a new directory. (I created a sub-directory and called it "NDS".)

7. Copy all of those newly created " .GBA " files into your newly created "NDS" sub-directory.

STEP 8 IS FOR SuperCard USERS ONLY:
    8. Rename all of the " .GBA " files to " .NDS ". -- So if your file was "Mortal Kombat (U).smc.GBA", it should now be named "Mortal Kombat 1 (U).smc.GBA.NDS" (you can call it whatever you want to call it, as long as the extension is " .NDS "... "Mortal Kombat.NDS" will work just the same). The program I use for batch-file-renaming is called, "Better File Rename" and can easily be found on Google.

9. Copy/Move the files over to your Nintendo.DS game cart and play.

I have found many many games to work with only minor graphical glitches, although, there are a handful of games that just wont work or are simply unplayable... For these games, you will know within the first few seconds of booting/playing if the game will run as desired. Your mileage will vary.

I hope someone can get good use out of this brief snezzi guide. Mods, please feel free to edit and/or post this to your guides section if desired.

13. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    gonna take a guess.... still no smrpg... lol

14. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Version 0.27 that I'm talking about hasn't been released yet.

Also version 0.26 that you're using is the GBA Senezziboy not the DS version...... [​IMG]

15. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    Ohhhhhh.... :'(
    well that makes more sense, i was so fkn confused. LOL
    well lets hope chrono trigger looked better than it did on the gba version then *crosses fingers*