Snes9xGx random crash

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by the_randomizer, Aug 19, 2011.

Aug 19, 2011

Snes9xGx random crash by the_randomizer at 1:22 AM (3,326 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Since no one checked the last post I made, I'll post it here.

Code Dump

8034DBBC-->8035B0DC-->803E7FC-->800454DC

Every other program runs fine off of my HDD! Snes9gx is the ONLY one that has sporadic crashing!

Other programs that run without any crashes: (*All Wii games run perfectly)

GenplusGX
    USB Loader GX*
    CFG Loader*
    Homebrew Channel
    MMM

Snes9xGx is the only one giving me issues. Everything else doesn't. And before you ask,
    I did NOT see the text "no_ios_load" in the XML file. Why? I don't know.

This post has been edited by the_randomizer: Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Wii System Info -

System Menu 4.3 U/NTSC
    HBC 1.0.8
    Snes9xGx 4.2.8
    HDD - Western Digital 500GB USB 3.0/2.0
    cIOS 59 and 249 (I think) are used

*REMOVED*

2. Tantric

Member Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Snobbish?

I see you posted that WiiMC does the exact same thing. This sounds suspiciously like the HBC net bug..

Unless you've already modified your meta.xml file, the no_ios_reload line is definitely there. It won't remove itself.

3. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Sorry. I know I'm a jerk for saying that. I just realized that the xml file that was supposed to be in the sd:/apps/snes9x folder wasn't there, but I have a backup of it on my PC thank goodness. Why it wasn't there in the first place is beyond me.

4. MarcusRaven

Member MarcusRaven HBC Theme Maker

United States
    I'm getting similar issues with SNES9xGX, FCEUGX, and the last version of GenesisPlusGX (Haven't updated that one yet.)

SNES9xGX either randomly code dumps, no longer communicates with the Wii remotes, or just randomly freezes for a few seconds then dumps. The dumps usually take place either in the game menu at first startup, or when I press the home button after launching a game. The Wii remote communication usually happens when I plug my classic controller in after launching a game. (Didn't use to do this.)

FCEUGX just randomly dumps either on initial load or a few seconds later. Sometimes I don't even have time to load a game.

GenesisPlusGX does it the same way FCEUGX does.

Any ideas as to what I should look into?

5. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
  6. MarcusRaven

United States
    Thanks, that actually answered some of my questions. It seems to be internet related. I've been using my Wii at my church lately, which has no internet connection. At home, the no_ios_reload apparently relies on a web connection? Never knew that.

7. Jacobeian

Cuba
    No it doesn't.
    It just that there is a bug in HBC if it network is not initialized and it loads an applicationwithout reloading IOS first (which the option does).

8. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Is it because I'm using a USB hard drive (My Passport series)? I deleted the no_ios_reload from every XML file on my HDD, and Snes9x STILL locked up. The Wii remote would not do jack squat, so I had to hard reboot the wii. This is NOT normal, as every other program (GenplusGX included) run without this issue. WTH? Deleting the no_ios_reload line doesn't work at all. Either there's something else I missed or my Wii is jacked up. Again, this should NOT be happening. I only saw a code dump screen once, other than that, the controller stops communicating with the Wii but the Wii mote light is still on.

To sum up

Snes9xGx locks up, no controller response, no closing the menu to get back to the Snes ROM, must reboot Wii only to have it happen once more. No Code Dump screens this time. I suppose I could try it on an SD card to see if I can reproduce it.

9. MarcusRaven

United States
    Well, that makes the bug associated with the no_ios_reload tag reliant on a connection. Just a different way of looking at it I guess.

10. Jacobeian

Cuba
    What happen is that, when started, HBC will attempt to initialize network connection by sending commands to network hardware trough IOS.
    If network cannot be connected, hardware will continue to send asynchron responses through IOS as long as it is not shutdown. The problem is that, when loading an application, HBC does not shutdown this "communication", so when the app starts it can receive these messages and immediately crash because those reporting messages are referencing to commands the app never sent !

Reloading IOS actually forces the shutdown of a lot of things, including any unfinished network connection, which ensure that the launched application is starting in a fresh clean state.

11. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Deleting the no_ios_reload line doesn't help me getting this resolved. Is my HDD the culprit? Other GX applications run just fine off it it.

12. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    No I'm having the crash sometimes too...
    It sucks.
    Hopefull yit'sll be fixed somehow.

13. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    I spoke to dborth/Tantric about it on Gmail and said either to try an older version (to see if there was a regression) or that he might make a test build for me to try. He also stated he had the exact same HDD as I do, so I'll give it a shot and report back.

14. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I wonder if he means a 202 version.

15. the_randomizer
    OP

United States

Not sure about that, I thought he meant version 4.2.7 versus 4.2.8 (current). As far as IOSes go, I have no clue. Should I use MMM to switch the IOS that the Homebrew Channel uses?

16. JoostinOnline

United States
    You can't do that. If you want to use 202 (much better than 58 IMO), you will have to find a pretty old version. I think it was about a year ago when apps started switching to IOS58.

17. the_randomizer
    OP

United States

And the issue with that is it was before Snes9xGx got the 1.52 core; without it, the audio is a bad as Zsnes. I could try 4.2.7 and see if it works, and also trying it on an SD card first.

18. JoostinOnline

United States
    Ah, that's a shame. I never had a SNES, so I haven't used Snes9xGX.

19. the_randomizer
    OP

United States

How's that even related to what I was saying? I used 4.2.8 for an hour (off SDHC) and it worked fine, which is weird considering dborth has the exact same HDD as me and it runs fine off of his. Zsnes 1.51 and Snes9x 1.51 both had poor sound compared to Snes9x 1.52+.

20. JoostinOnline

United States
    I thought you were saying if someone were to use an older version that supported 202, they would get crappy sound.