Snes9xGX Mod [Preview + WiiUPro + ScreenShot button]

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Zopenko, May 25, 2015.

1. BITBURGER

BITBURGER GBAtemp Regular

Dec 5, 2014
    Netherlands
    Kerkrade
    Can anybody re-compiled version Snes9x GX 4.29. with that focking Update Disabler i'll get focking sick and tired of that poppup on my wii
    Grrrrrr....
    Thx Regards

2. Gabriel Mejia

Gabriel Mejia Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2015
    United States
    first of all i'm not pulling words out of my ass just look up not64 and you'll see what i'm talking about,

on another note i don't need you mocking me and insulting my mental stability,i'll have you know i'm completely sane and know full well what i'm talking about
    and i am not mentally unstable.

i also don't need some ***hole explaining to me what memory and storage are since i know full well what both are and that's bull**** because you don't store roms in ram since roms are a storage medium
    i don't care if it is read only memory it still has to be interpreted,

storage and memory aren't linked as one is referred to as ram
    or should i say random access "memory" which is the key word here "memory"
    and stuff can't permanently be stored here,

while the other called "storage" is referred to as the storage where the main software components are,basically the place where a lot of the core information that runs the console is held unless the device has a bios chip in which case the bios starts up the system or in the case of the wii the nand chip,
    the reason the storage and memory are not directly linked is because then you wouldn't have a working system and your cpu and gpu wouldn't be receiving any instructions the moment the console is turned on,
    if you meant they're on the same motherboard and indirectly talk to each other then yes they do.

As for the clocking information,yes clocking information has to be stored somewhere since those snes games need to be emulated at specified clocked speeds in order to work,
    so no i don't need you guys explaining anything to me since i know more about the basics of how the games run than both of you and i don't need you to lecture me about that and i don't need to waste my time telling you all this if all you're gonna do is take it with a grain of salt.

3. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Wait a bit, Zopenko is probably testing his compiles, or maybe he doesn't have free time right now.

Yes, sadly that's a common problem, because of memory leaks. emu_kidid did a fine job correcting many of those, though some still persists, it is more manageable

Last edited by sindrik, Nov 21, 2015
  4. Zopenko
    OP

Zopenko Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z

Mar 1, 2015
    Mexico
    Im not dead :(
    but as sindrik says I don't have much free time (finishing my last semester)
    so in the next couple of week i will have more free time and continue with this mod, so..... patience please :)

5. BITBURGER

Dec 5, 2014
    Netherlands
    Kerkrade
    Zopenko i'l hope you can compile another Snes9x GX the versions 4.2.8 and 4.2.9 are good with Turbo Mode i'll mean the hq2x
    the new one version 4.3.2 gives terrible noise when i use a rom to playing when i put the hq2x on normal soft of bold not a deference by the version 4.2.8 and 4.2.9 are good
    but then get i everytime the poppup update availeble
    and can you add cover support on it?

Great full thanx man
    Regards

6. Jacobeian

Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 15, 2008
    Cuba
    WTF?
    Sorry but you are just throwing out words and concepts without really understanding basic concept of emulation and programming or at least you maybe think you understood everything while you didn't , which is somehow worst than someone knowing he still has room for learning things. Throwing out insults won't make you look smarter by the way :teach:

RAM is still some form of storage, just temporary (or rather volatile) storage, compared to SD or USB which are non-volatile storage.

SNES ROM are stored in FILES which are themselves read by the emulator PROGRAM then copied entirely in Wii RAM for the purpose of the emulator running on a computer or a console. The EMULATOR code interprets the SNES ROM code but it reads it from RAM and the emulator CODE itself is running from the Wii RAM.

Actually, the point is that EVERYTHING is stored (even if it is temporary) and fits in Wii RAM while you are running the emulator on your Wii to play SNES games. The emulator code is loaded in Wii RAM, the emulated ROM is loaded in Wii RAM then read from Wii RAM by the emulator while decoding SNES CPU instructions, the emulated SNES chips memory (Video RAM, CPUs RAM, etc) is replicated in Wii RAM, etc...

NOTHING runs from or use a storage device like SD or USB or NAND because this would make emulation too slow and there is no need for it since there is plenty enough RAM on WII for a SNES emulator and a SNES ROM.

Off course it is stored somewhere, it is stored in the form of emulator CODE, which is itself running from Wii RAM.
    But the point is that the quantity of actually available RAM is enough to store any SNES emulator code and any SNES ROM all together and virtual memory paging will not improve anything. You were suggesting that a virtual memory system (or pagefile as you called it) would improve the quality of emulation, which does not make ANY sense because:

1) This can only be used for emulated/interpreted ROM access (in case of very big ROM for example in systems like neo-geo or n64) but definitively not emulation CODE itself (there is no concept of dynamically linked code on Wii, again all the code runs statically from RAM)

2) The QUALITY of the emulation code as well as the GRANULARITY of the timings of the emulated components are absolutely not directly related to the amount of available RAM. I'm pretty sure Higan/BSNES emulation code could fit in Wii limited RAM (72 MBytes or so I think) but the problem is CPU requirements are too high and that the Wii CPU is too weak to run that code at playable speed.

Last edited by Jacobeian, Nov 21, 2015
    sindrik likes this.
  7. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
    Yep. In most games you have full speed even with the hq2x filter

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  8. BITBURGER

Dec 5, 2014
    Netherlands
    Kerkrade
    Yeah ShadowOne333 The Version 4.2.8 runs it best of all the versions what i know with the Hq2x Enabled
    Alone for me the biggist bloody bug that they everytime ask for updating
    nope i won't it
    When someone this version can re-compile with and Hq2x support and update disabler + cover support i'm a very happy man :D

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

9. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Again, patience. Let the man finish his real life tasks.

10. Draguna

Draguna Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2015
    Brazil
    Hello , then have the version of the emulator with cover where end fatansy 3 and Chrono Trigger run smoothly ?

11. BITBURGER

Dec 5, 2014
    Netherlands
    Kerkrade
    @Zopenko Will not much good man say the week is all about
    thought say anything lol

12. ThatGuy...

ThatGuy... Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    Question. Does anyone know the reason why Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger don't work with the Wii U Pro support? I replied to the original thread and I didn't receive and answers and it seems I'm not the only one having this issue.

13. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Check here.

14. ThatGuy...

ThatGuy... Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    I feel like an idiot for asking, but does that mean I have to mod a build myself?

15. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    Since Zopenko seems to be busy with RL, you have no other choice but to build one or wait patiently. Just remember not to use latest devkitPPC, use r26 if you want to avoid the game bugs/performance regressions.

16. Zopenko
    OP

Zopenko Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z

Mar 1, 2015
    Mexico
    sorry for being out of the scene. first real life has taken a few vacations so I hope I can continue with this over the holidays.
    So how I'm going to work with this. I will base the emu on rev 428 and then re add the features one by one until we see the culprit for the low performance and the CT and FF III Bugs.
    I promise nothing in terms of actually fixing anything I'm just combining the sources until we have a good emu.
    As priority I'm working on the wiiupro support. I haven't tested it but I may have to port the " controller fixes" that were added on the newer versions

:)

oldsk00l, Hakaisha, sindrik and 5 others like this.
  17. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    @Zopenko Wondering if this is possible: in the future, and after the emu is stable again, would it be hard to implement a way to select which controller goes to what player? A la GenesisPlus GX. Right now, the only way for me to match the controller to a particular Player# is to turn them off by removing the batteries and turning them on sequentially, and even then it doesn't work all the time.

Last edited by sindrik, Dec 29, 2015
  18. Edu64

Edu64 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2015
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I tested for long time the 4.2.8 and 4.2.9 versions and can comment that the last es better ( 4.2.9) especially in Super FX games like Yoshi's island ( first level in the cavern is a good place for testing)
    The only issue found in 4.2.9 version is load save states for Megaman X2 and X3.
    Please, consider this for create the mod.
    Thanks and good luck! :yay:
    Many fans for SNES expected the performance for previous version with cover for the games. :)

19. DarthMingus

DarthMingus Member

Newcomer
    Jul 22, 2006
    United States
    I hope this update comes soon. This version is great (scanlines!!), but the slowdown is very noticeable in SuperFX games.

By the way, are there any similar builds with scanlines added for FCE Ultra GX or VBA GX?

Thanks!

20. sindrik

sindrik GBAtemp Regular

Jan 26, 2009
    United States
    As far as i know, there isn't. Someone is gonna have to add them and compile, like when Zopenko made this nice screenshot support build.