snes9x vs virtual console

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Toufas, Apr 7, 2008.

Apr 7, 2008

snes9x vs virtual console by Toufas at 1:29 PM (2,013 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Toufas
    OP

Newcomer Toufas Member

United Kingdom
    which versions are better?
    super metroid
    super contra/super probotector

2. berlinka

Member berlinka You have sustained a lethal injury.

Netherlands
    I don't understand the topic title related to the contents of your topic and I completely don't understand what you are asking. This is one lazy topic.

3. garnaal

Newcomer garnaal Newbie

He wants to know which (snes9x or virtual console) emulation is better for those games.

4. katsuce

Member katsuce GBAtemp Fan

France
    emulators will ALWAYS be better than the crappy WConsole, plus it's free.
    I wish there was some way to download games for free after giving nintendo proof that you own the game you want to download...

5. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I don't think you understand the question katsuce. The question is performance on the Wii. Is the SNES9x port for Wii better for SNES emulation than the V-Console for the emulation of Super Contra, Super Probotector, and Super Metroid.

6. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    He thinks its better because its free....he fails to realize that Virtual Console is also a high-level emulator...

7. nightwalker

Member nightwalker GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    V-Console's better cause Nintendo improved the graphics, sound, etc. for those games. That's why they're taking a damn ass long time to release them

but ya, SNES9X is free...so i guess you can argue that it's better [​IMG]

8. Beware

United States
    But performance is the question here, so arguing that SNES9x is free is completely irrelevant. V-Console is better, but I believe SNES9x runs those games at full speed. It should be fine.

9. Toufas
    OP

Newcomer Toufas Member

United Kingdom
    what about pal issues? i heard some games have problems.
    and they remade the graphics for all the games? like xbox live arcade?
    if thats the deal, i am buying them asap

10. Beware

United States
    I don't believe SNES9x has any trouble with PAL games on NTSC. I don't know about vice versa though. This is, of course, dependent on whether it is a full port of the emulator. If it is, I believe it will be fantastic for SNES emulation.

EDIT: And the graphical improvements are just improved resolution really. So unless you REALLY need the highest quality for your 16-bit graphics, V-Console isn't really worth it.

11. m0dm0use

Member m0dm0use GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    don't forget if you don't have a gamecube controller no emulation for now for wii for you.

12. katsuce

Member katsuce GBAtemp Fan

France
    I know it's a really good emulator, but honestly, why pay 8€/$ for a game like sonic (not on snes, I know) when on 360, for less than that, you can get something infinitely better?
    if games were 5$ max (for N64, the most expensive), that'd be a great deal...

if you'd rather have your money stolen by nintendo when the original game would cost you less...

however, there are some (rare) good deals, such as sin and punishment: I was happy to get it for 7,5€, instead of 60+€ for the original cart

13. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    The VC's emulator is pretty spot-on. But that way you'll have to pay of course.
    Snes9xGX is pretty good too. But pay attention to the version. Older releases of this emulator run in gamecube-mode. There are 2 main builds of this emulator. One is based on the older 1.43 kernel and another one based on v1.50 I believe. The 1.50 is more accurate, but it runs slower. This is especially notable in some games. One of them being Super Metroid. It definitely has a lower framerate. But no problem, use the 1.43 build. it will run just fine then.
    Also, there is a new unoffical test release which runs in wii-mode through the zelda hack. it can take advantage of the extra processing power available in wii mode