Hacking Snes9x vs. Snes9x GX

TrickyTony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay I tried asking this before, but now I know what I am talking about much better so I might get the answer I was looking for. When I first started using HB I was using Snes9x, which requires a Gamecube memory card for saves. Eventually I switched to Snes9xGX, which I find much better overall, but I cannot seem to access my saves from when I was using Snes9x… Is there any way with GX to go through a memory card, and/or copy my Gamecube saves to my SD? So they can be in the same save file as all my GX saves? Snes9x does not work with HBC9 so I want to consolidate if anyone was wondering why I want to do this. Thanks!

fgsfdsyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I can give you the gist of how I did it.

From 9X, load the game. Load the gamecube save.
Save the RAM and savestate onto SD card if possible. I couldn't savestate save to SD for some reason.
Go to computer and search for the .srm file in the SNES9X folders.
Copy it to somewhere reasonable, like the desktop.
Start up game on GX, if you can't load the save then create one.
Go back to the computer and copy the name of the new save.
Rename the one on the desktop with the copied name.
Delete new save on SD, replace with one from desktop.

I think I made the name thing a bit confusing, so I'll give an example.
Let's say you get the first save from 9X and it's name is asdasf.srm
You'd copy asdasf.srm to the desktop.
Then you'd create a new save with GX and it's name is qweqwr.srm
Copypasta the GX save name (qweqwr.srm in this example) and rename the one on the desktop.
Delete the qweqwr.srm on the SD card and replace with the one from the desktop.

I did something like this and ended up getting my Secret of Mana save to work perfectly.

TrickyTony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like itll take some tooling around (for starters I need to convert 9x to .dol for HBC9) but I am glad to see this can be done with some trial and error. Thank you for the advice!

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have this problem too, I have some old saves on a GC Memorycard
But I don't think this solution will work (in my case). The old emulator I was using, was a gamecube mode autobooting DVD. This was before wii homebrew got started. So the emulator on it cannot access the SD-slot, it doesn't have access to it and doesn't even know it exists. Is there any way I can still get the save to use it in the wii-mode snes9xgx emulator?

TrickyTony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... so this is FRUSTRATING! I can not get the SRAM from 9x to save to my SD (the games I am trying for are Chrono Trigger and Earthbound) When I load the SRAM then try to save to SD it just says unable to mount... any ideas?

TrickyTony

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your right Google is my friend, but I guess we were having communications problems on this one. Anyway I am getting CLOSE but not all the way there. NuGaSav makes a .srm.gci (i.e.: 00-SNES- CHRONO TRIGGER) and then when I create a save with SNES9x GX it is Chrono Trigger.srm. I tried the advice above and renaming the .srm.gci to Chrono Trigger.srm and my computer even asked if I "was sure I wanted to change the extension" then when I changed the SD save with the new .srm and load into GX it just says "Incompatible SRAM Press A to Continue." My guess is changing from .srm.gci to .srm didn't work out? Any ideas? Thanks as always.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs