Snes9x version 1.54 was released!!!

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
After several years for this emulator was never updated before... and now...

Snes9x version 1.54.1

...was released!!! Here the change log!!!

Version 1.54
  • Changed the S-SMP core module to one written by byuu. (This has the effect of increased accuracy, fewer speed hacks, but also regresses a few speed-hack games.)
  • Improved IRQ emulation in several cases.
  • Added rewind support.
  • Included libretro port.
  • Added bps soft-patching support.
  • Fixed MMC bank register bit 7, restored 64mbit ExLoRom map.
  • GTK+, Windows: Added xBRZ filter.
  • GTK+: Fixed several issues with GTK+3.
  • GTK+: Added extra aspect ratio options.
  • GTK+: Added option to mute sound when using turbo mode.
  • GTK+: Fixed expose handling to reduce overdraw and improve performance.
  • GTK+: Updated and universalized Spanish translation.
  • Unix: Added Xv support and fixed several bugs.
  • Win32: Added CG meta shader support.
  • Win32: Added support to detect joypad changes
  • Win32: Fixed unicode command line parameters, fixed controller command line parameters.
  • Win32: Added quit hotkey.
  • Win32: Fixed custom rom dialog.
  • Win32: Fixed various cheat dialog issues.
  • Win32: Added hotkey for fast forward toggling.
  • Win32: Added drag and drop support for movies.
  • Win32: Fixed blargg filter for regular width hires.
  • Win32: Fixed snapshot loading from unicode paths.
  • Win32: Changed open-with file-association method, should no longer change explorer icons for otherwise unassociated extensions; removed legacy extensions.

Version 1.5.4.1

- GTK+: Properly use --std=c++11 when compiling xBRZ. (BearOso)
- Win32: Save window position when toggling fullscreen. (OV2)
- Win32: Do not assign down-left binding to down-right. (OV2)

Download it here! Special thanks to BearOso for hard working! :yay:

URL 1:- https://sites.google.com/site/bearoso/
URL 2:- http://www.s9x-w32.de/dl/
Source Code:- https://github.com/snes9xgit/snes9x
Linux:- https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/snes9x-gtk/

Please note! Save State for old version of Snes9x will not working for newest Snes9x version!!!

Last edited by AsPika2219, , Reason: Added Linux link

TheArcadeStriker

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Pretty great update done for the emu!
Also, while it's really recent (Just updated today), I'm kind of surprised that this is update isn't very known/spread yet.

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So does Snes9x beat out ZSNES in terms of compatibility and accuracy?

I remember during the mid 00's there would be fanboys divided up between these two emulators because one would do certain actions better than the other like ZSnes taking advantage of Star Fox's SuperFX chip better than Snes9x or something.

Last edited by RemixDeluxe,
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I remember during the mid 00's there would be fanboys divided up between these two emulators because one would do certain actions better than the other like ZSnes taking advantage of Star Fox's SuperFX chip better than Snes9x or something.

ZSNES is just awful in terms of accuracy, it's mostly written in assemby and was focused on speed not accuracy or maintainablity. Snes9x is better, BSNES/Higan is without question the most accurate SNES emulator.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Snes9x uses Blargg's/Byuu's S-SMP emulator, which is the sound chip in the Snes; let's just say it passes all the SPC700 (the actual Sony sound processor) tests, it's cycle-accurate to the real console. Among other things, I actually made a thread on here a while back comparing the two emulators. While Bsnes/Higan is more accurate, most users won't be able to differentiate between the two, Snes9x is more user-friendly, that, and the developers are pretty chill; in fact I didn't even know a new version was coming until I saw something about it on GitHub.

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Snes9x uses Blargg's/Byuu's S-SMP emulator, which is the sound chip in the Snes; let's just say it passes all the SPC700 (the actual Sony sound processor) tests, it's cycle-accurate to the real console. Among other things, I actually made a thread on here a while back comparing the two emulators. While Bsnes/Higan is more accurate, most users won't be able to differentiate between the two, Snes9x is more user-friendly, that, and the developers are pretty chill; in fact I didn't even know a new version was coming until I saw something about it on GitHub.

Agreed, I mean no disrespect to the authors of snes9x, or even znes for that matter.

ZSNES is from a different time when people were tyring to run SNES games on pentium ~100mhz systems. ASM and speedhacks were a necessity. It's hard to reccomend these days but deserves respect for its impact in being a speed-focused emu.
As you say SNES9x has adpotpted some of Byuu's super accurate code and is still a fantastic emu to use.

I just respect the hell of our Byuu for his dedication to creating such an incredibly accurate emulator. The man sure knows how to preserve a system in the long term :)

Last edited by Count Duckula,

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed, I mean no disrespect to the authors of snes9x, or even znes for that matter.

ZSNES is from a different time when people were tyring to run SNES games on pentium ~100mhz systems. ASM and speedhacks were a necessity. It's hard to reccomend these days but deserves respect for its impact in being a speed-focused emu.
As you say SNES9x has adpotpted some of Byuu's super accurate code and is still a fantastic emu to use.

I just respect the hell of our Byuu for his dedication to creating such an incredibly accurate emulator. The man sure knows how to preserve a system in the long term :)

No, it's fine, even Zsnes developers don't recommend people using it, but the main coder, Pagefault, has reached a bit of a setback, but is working on the next version, is super busy with work/life though. I've switched over from Zsnes a long time ago, because the sound inaccuracies were far too painful for my ears, Earthworm Jim 2 can't even properly play sound effects due to bad SPC700 timing. Snes9x has been my Snes emulator of choice :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/kTzpzBF.mp4