Snes9x tries to open everything as a rom file

PrinceRikei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I'm having this weird issue with the latest version of snes9x. Ever since I downloaded it it's been trying to open everything as a rom file. I'm trying to patch a rom right now so I can play an N64 romhack but when I try to open the patch tool it opens up snes9x instead. It's getting rather irritating and I'm hoping that by posting this problem here that someone can help me find a solution to fix this issue.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
It didn't help. When I get to the part where I have to open notepad and save the file I don't have unicode under encoding. :/
Encoding shouldn't matter, but here you go. It's UTF-8, so should be fine.

Edit: Re-uploaded with proper formatting.

Attachments

• fix.reg.zip
    286 bytes · Views: 206
Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: PrinceRikei

PrinceRikei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Encoding shouldn't matter, but here you go. It's UTF-8, so should be fine.

Edit: Re-uploaded with proper formatting.
Okay, I'm at the step when I have to find the file path and use this command: REG IMPORT <filepath> Exe.reg
but I don't know how to type the filepath. I have the txt file on my desktop.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm at the step when I have to find the file path and use this command: REG IMPORT <filepath> Exe.reg
but I don't know how to type the filepath. I have the txt file on my desktop.
Type this in first:
Code:
cd C:\Users\<name>\Desktop
This will change the command window's working directory (cd = "change directory") to your desktop. Of course, you'll need to change the name section accordingly. Also, as a little tip, you can use the Tab key to complete paths. All you have to do is type the first couple of characters of the directory you want to move to, hit the Tab key, and it will autocomplete the name. You can do this for file names as well.

Example:
Code:
cd C:\Users\<nam*Tab key*\Des*Tab key*
reg import fix*Tab key*
Each time you press Tab, it will autocomplete the name, and move forward.

Last edited by Joom,

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, sounds like windows has association with that .ROM file type, to Snes9x. Right click any .ROM file and click "Open with..." to choose another app to open it with. At that point it will show you a list of suggested apps and there will be a check box to set the default app. Change it to notepad or something. To fix the association forever I'd back up my saves, uninstall Snes9x, and use the standalone version, toss it with your ROMs folder and use a shortcut.

PrinceRikei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm, sounds like windows has association with that .ROM file type, to Snes9x. Right click any .ROM file and click "Open with..." to choose another app to open it with. At that point it will show you a list of suggested apps and there will be a check box to set the default app. Change it to notepad or something. To fix the association forever I'd back up my saves, uninstall Snes9x, and use the standalone version, toss it with your ROMs folder and use a shortcut.
It's weird cause I didn't have to install snes9x. I just downloaded it and could use it right away. No installation required. Where can I find the stand alone version of snes9x? I didn't even know there was one. Also, thanks for the reply. I'll try to change the file association to notepad and see if that works.

Last edited by PrinceRikei,

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird cause I didn't have to install snes9x. I just downloaded it and could use it right away. No installation required. Where can I find the stand alone version of snes9x? I didn't even know there was one. Also, thanks for the reply. I'll try to change the file association to notepad and see if that works.
You already have it, that's why you didn't have to install it. I figured there was an installer because windows normally links that way, sorry.

PrinceRikei

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You already have it, that's why you didn't have to install it. I figured there was an installer because windows normally links that way, sorry.
Well,weird thing is, my laptop doesn't see snes9x as installed. I just run the exe and it opens up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse