Snes9x GX Earthbound Slowdown.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by keine, Apr 16, 2011.

Apr 16, 2011

Snes9x GX Earthbound Slowdown. by keine at 7:39 AM (3,502 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I was experiencing some Earthbound slowdown. Particularly when alot of sprits are on screen. One spot where you wake up right before you get on Nessie as Jeff. Some slowdown. Character movement is slow and a little jittery.
    I thought it was just limitation of the original Snes.

So I broke out ZSNES on my computer and the same exact slowdown happened in that spot.

I suppose the original SNES just exhibited some slowdown with Earthbound which is reproduced through the emulation. The Wii is powerful enough to emulate through Snes 9x GX any SNES rom at full speed correct? Its not platform limitation?
    Thanks.

2. Okami Wolfen

Member Okami Wolfen GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Emulation is designed to reproduce the system almost to the exact binary decimal. I believe I noticed slowdown here too. But then again, I got slowdown on my NES emulator when there were a lot of enemies on screen in Zelda.

3. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Newbie

I think you will find the emulation is so good that even the original snes would slowdown in the same situation. Only thing you can do is replace the original snes internals with more beef then reprogram the game for said new system and release on here. Give people a shout I'm sure there will be ppl that will beta test for you [​IMG]

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yes, proper emulators exhibit slowdown where the normal system would have it.

5. cloudskipa

Newcomer cloudskipa Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    It's true that Snes9x and ZSnes emulate the slowdown of the SNES but I have personally noticed on Snes9x GX the slowdown is slower than the original cart. I have noticed this on Contra, Castlevania, Gradius III and a lot of other games. The problem isn't exclusive to Konami games either. Now I presume the PC version of Snes9x is the same, it's a shame this happens but it's still very playable though. I've always wondered why Yoshi's Island has problems on Wii too.

6. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    Yoshi Island uses specific chip emulation which is very CPU taxing. Older versions of SNES9xGX run it fine but newer versions are more accurate and run slower on Wii, this game (and some other too) is apparently reaching the limit of Wii CPU

7. OmegaVesko

Member OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Yugoslavia
    Emulators are made to emulate the original console perfectly, so naturally it's going to slowdown as much as it does with the original console. As far as the game is concerned, it has access to the same processing power as on the SNES.

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    The problem is not the game having access to the same process power,it is to use Wii processing power to emulate whole SNES hardware, including additional hardware on cartridge. The more processor you need to emulate, the slower it runs on the target CPU, that's logical.

That's true that some games slowing down on real SNES would exibit the same behavior on emulator (because it always at max. emulates the original chips at their original speed) but sometime it's just emulation software running too slow because it has to handle too many chips simultaneously.

9. Bladeforce

Bladeforce Newbie

@above

The reality is the Snes was a major slow down city on games with plenty going on, a prime example being gradius 3 a bog standard shooter but when lots going on, major slowdown. Part of the system i'm afraid, don't blame the emulation or the Wii it's plain and simply the way the original Snes was

10. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    Actually... that part isn't really supposed to get any slowdowns.

Earthbound, in the 10 times I have played it, has never had any slowdown. Even when enemies crowded the screen...

Try the Earthbound 0rangeChickhen WAD for a custom VC channel install. it does not have any slowdown it runs perfect just like the SNES hardware.

11. cloudskipa

Newcomer cloudskipa Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Yes that is true, but have you played Gradius III on the latest build of Snes9x GX? It slows down at exactly the same time as the original hardware but when it happens it's even slower which is bad news as it was very slow in the first place.