Homebrew Snes9x GX - check Wii Channel

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys!

OK, so I'm playing with my original Wii again.

Please note, I have a PAL version of the Wii (NOT VIRTUAL Wii..)

I've successfully installed Snes9x GX. It works fine.

Next I want to install a Channel to that emulator.

From what I understand, one of the ways one can brick a Wii, is to install a wrong region game Channel on the Wii, or:

"A Banner Brick occurs when the user installs a channel with an invalid banner (wrong image size)."

QUESTION IS: how can I check, on my computer, if the Wii Channel (in this case the shortcut to Snes9x GX), is safe for my PAL Wii?

Are there any tools out there, which can check this, before one accidentally load the wrong channel or installs a channel with an invalid banner?

My apologies if this has been answered directly somewhere else.​

Flo_o

Trophies
XP
Country
Just install a channel, they are not region bound (but the path is important, creators always post the channels path), i have a pal wii too but never had any problems with installing downloaded channels, but the safest and coolest option is creating your own channels, try CustomizeMii, works flawless. But only install channels with Priiloader and Bootmii installed.

Here is an example of my custom made theme and channels:

Last edited by Flo_o,
Reactions: WineAnt

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just install a channel, they are not region bound (but the path is important, creators always post the channels path), i have a pal wii too but never had any problems with installing downloaded channels, but the safest and coolest option is creating your own channels, try CustomizeMii, works flawless. But only install channels with Priiloader and Bootmii installed.

Here is an example of my custom made theme and channels:

Thanks Flo_o

But is there anyway to check, on your computer, if the channel, you're about to install, is somehow wrong (such as the banner is a wrong banner size)?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Get Dolphin set up with your NAND dump so you can load the system menu on it and install the channel. If the banner shows up it's safe.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That sounds way too hectic. Just looking for a program where you load the channel files, and it checks it for integrity, or someting. Before I take the plunge and eventually/possibly brick my Wii.......

Last edited by WineAnt,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. Get Dolphin set up with your NAND dump so you can load the system menu on it and install the channel. If the banner shows up it's safe.

That sounds way too hectic. Just looking for a program where you load the channel files, and it checks it for integrity, or someting. Before I take the plunge and eventually/possibly brick my Wii.......[/QUOTE]

It only takes a minute to do. Banner bricks can be recovered from as long as you made sure you installed BootMii as boot2 or have something like Priiloader installed, too.

If you're using a recent interim build of Dolphin you can import a BootMii backup with one click. Otherwise it needs to be extracted first. (instructions)

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I understand, thanks for the instructions.

So, you guys are telling me, there's no simple Windows app which can test the content, of a Channel, for errors as mentioned in the case of a brick scenario??

FancyNintendoGamer567

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, and Dolphin allows you to technically have a running Wii Menu using the "Perform Online System Update" tool which downloads all the stuff Dolphin needs from NUS. (Also, I hope I don't sound stupid considering the latest post came before I was done typing.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yea, and Dolphin allows you to technically have a running Wii Menu using the "Perform Online System Update" tool which downloads all the stuff Dolphin needs from NUS. (Also, I hope I don't sound stupid considering the latest post came before I was done typing.

I'm simply looking for a simple Windows tool to check if a Channel, I want to install, won't brick my Wii. Don't want to mess with emulating a whole game console....

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dolphin is simple to set up and it works for what you want. You're not going to find a verification program for banners. It literally takes 5 minutes to get it set up to do it. If you don't want to do that then take your risks.

Your best bet is to not install any channels that have a banner if you're that worried about it.

WineAnt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can anyone please confirm, who owns a PAL Wii, that the "official Wii Channel" is safe to install on a PAL Wii.

I will be very grateful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end