KDH

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have any Linux users gotten SNES9x (or any other GX emu for that matter) to work with samba, and if so how? I can't figure out how to get them to connect.

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
I second this; anyone?

I run Samba 3.0.25b on OpenBSD 4.2, and haven't got it working either. I have passwordless shares, which normally accept any user name or password.

If i leave user/pass blank in snes9x config i get a settings error preventing me from exiting settings, and if i set a bogus pass, i get: cannot connect to share smb://snes9x/roms despite that being only the path name in the share, and not the hostname as such.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even know this was a possible feature! I'm going to try this out right now. I'm setting up my samba shares simply through shares-admin under Gnome. I can share the settings of my smb.conf if I manage to get it working.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a hard time just getting it to agree with my network settings. The IP address setting is self explanitory, but what should I enter for the "smbshare" value? Is that the folder of my share? If so, do I just make that and the Rom Folder essentially the same?

Right now it's saying my network settings are invalid...
edit: invalid because I didn't enter a username and password, but the share isn't protected, so I don't want a username and password...

Yeah, this is tricky.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
you need an username but password can be set to 0. Try setting "" as username.
smsshare is most probably the folder name ("Share Name")

QUOTE said:
--•[ NETWORK ]•--

If you're going to be using your Network (LAN) to load and/or save from you
will need to enter in the SMB share settings you've setup on your computer
via this settings menu. You will need to enter in the SMB Share IP, Share
Name, Share Username and Share Password. If you do not have a password on
your SMB share then set the SMB Share Password to "0".

KDH

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Setting the password to 0 (with or without a user name) didn't work with samba security set to either user or share. Too bad we can't just browse SMB shares with it.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Figured out what worked for me. Assuming you can easily browse your samba shares on a windows computer without a username and password it's all about directory structure.

On your computer where the roms are stored, you want to share the Parent directory of where the roms are, so for instance on my computer it's:
.../Emulation/Snes/roms/(rom files)
You have to share, in this case, .../Emulation/Snes
Not the "roms" folder itself. So now when you look at my shared folders on a Windows machine you see a folder called "Snes".

So now in Snes9x your settings should be like this:
Network
IP:192.168.x.x to the IP of the sharing maching
Share Name: Snes (in my example)
Username: 0
Password: 0

General Settings (or whatever it's called)
Load: Network
Load Folder: roms (in my example)

So you see, the Load Folder must be a SUB-Folder of the samba shared folder that is directed to in the Network settings. You can't set the base directory to load Roms out of. Why that is I don't know, but that's the way it works.

So a convenient way to set up all the Nintendo GX emulators is to have one folder called "roms" on your computer somewhere where you have sub-directories for the various consoles, so the directory structure would be:

../roms/
/snes
/nes
/gba

Now in the Network settings for everything you'd set the share path as "roms" and in the Load folder for each individual application you'd put the name of the console. Make sense?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm finally gonna get this NAS racked and powered on tonight, install truenas core, and burn the...