Snes9x GX and FCE Ultra GX

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by toss01, Sep 19, 2009.

Sep 19, 2009

Snes9x GX and FCE Ultra GX by toss01 at 2:36 PM (2,998 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. toss01
    OP

Newcomer toss01 Advanced Member

Australia
    Hi,

I've tried finding an answer but havent had much luck with a quick look even though I know its buried somewhere

Is there a reason that when I play Roms on either emulator after about 20 minutes and then go back to the main menu it tells me that usb drive not found and I have to keep retrying to no avail?

I then have to completely either turn off to exit or switch to SD just so I can exit and then reboot the emulator

I use a WD 320 Passport, FAT32 partition

Thanks

2. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Your HD is going to sleep, that is why!

3. LordErk

Newcomer LordErk Member

United States
    sounds like the hard drive is going to sleep.

which is weird because, the Western Digital My passport series is is known for not having sleep issues.

i use a WD 320GB my passport essential, 220GB NTFS/100GB WBFS formatted and ive never had sleep issues with homebrew/usb loaders or emulators.

i cant say the same about the my book essential series, as ive never used them.

4. toss01
    OP

Australia
    I understand it going to sleep

but as stated Passports aren't known to go to sleep

if there's something I'm missing I'd love to know how to fix it

edit: from what i can read.. it could have it... but can I request the emulators to reintialize the HD... i mean even retry doesn't work

5. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States

Can't you just go the WD's website and download a tool to shut off the spindown? I have a seagate drive and was able to do this because seagate offers such a tool. If not, maybe just run your emulators off SD. I bought a 16GB SDHC card and it provides more than enough room for every emulator and literally thousands of roms....and the card was only like $30.

This is the one I have. Works with everything I throw at it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211245

6. toss01
    OP

Australia
    Unfortunately no as WD passports seem to enforce the spindown, it's a shame as everything else works perfect with it. I was trying to get away from SD cards but I gues sI might have to look into it.

Is there anyway/anywhere to post bugs for these emulators though as even pressing retry doesn't get my HDDs attention in these 2 emulators

7. Daunteh

Newcomer Daunteh Newbie

Norway
    I'm having the same problem, WD Passport 320GB. After 20ish minutes, I can't save. The only way I can save, is to unplug the HDD and plug it in again, after a while I can save again. This is alot of hassle though, just for saving.

I'm also having this problem in VBA Gx.

Also, some times, when I go into the menus of these 3 emulators, while playing a game, the menu buttons doesn't work. I can press them only once each, but that's it. And when I press the home button again, on the Wiimote, the screen greyes down as if inactive. Then all I can do is reboot the wii.

Any solution for this?

8. weeedin

Newcomer weeedin Member

United States
    I am bumping this topic because I am having the same problem. Someone earlier mentioned that the WD My Passport Essentials hdd's are known to NOT have problems with going to sleep? I have a 320 gig my passport essentials and it does go to sleep... everytime I play an emulator I have to unplug the drive and plug it back in so that I can save.

Basically I am just wondering if anyone has any type of fix for this problem

9. woodchuck78

Newcomer woodchuck78 Newbie

United States
    have you tried using hdparm with the -S (capital S) option?

10. woodchuck78

Newcomer woodchuck78 Newbie

United States
    hehe........ lag