Homebrew Snes9x GX 4.3.8 Beta - Feedback requested

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all,

It's been awhile since I've released anything for the emulators but I had some free time so I'm taking the chance now. Here's a beta version of snes9x gx:

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/files/2281405/Snes9xGX-4.3.8-Beta.zip

Update: Here's a beta for the sound issues:

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/files/2285356/Snes9xGX-4.3.8-Beta2.zip

Update 2: Here's another beta for the sound issues. Is it better than Beta2? Let me know.

<<LINK REMOVED>>

Update 3: The build above was bad. Try this one:
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/files/2288514/Snes9xGX-4.3.8-Beta4.zip

Update 4:

Even better sound:

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/files/2291668/Snes9xGX-4.3.8-Beta5-156-core.zip

With most of the older (faster?) 4.3.7 core
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/files/2291670/Snes9xGX-4.3.8-Beta6-hybrid-core.zip

Here's another beta:

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/files/2295228/Snes9xGX-4.3.8-Beta7.zip

• fixed joystick calculations...for me at least the classic controller was making me move left when the joystick was 100% to the right
  • mute sound when in turbo mode. Fixes audio buffers going crazy. Still doesn't fix the problem reported by Emu64 above. If you jiggle the turbo stick a little the sound comes back. Not sure how to fix this...
  • add soft and sharp video filtering options from VBAGX
  • re-add explicit Wii U Pro controller mappings

The major change is an updated core to snes9x 1.56 which seems to fix some games. Here's the changelog so far:

* Updated core to 1.56 (with less accurate but faster Blargg audio core)
* Memory optimizations to free up more MEM1 for Snes9x
* Disable multi pixel format support for a speed boost
* Add MSU1 support (thanks qwertymodo!)
* Add BPS soft-patching support (thanks qwertymodo!)
* Allow loader to pass two arguments instead of three (libertyernie)
* Backport some MSU1 fixes from snes9x
* Fix a few potential crashes caused by the GUI
* Compiled with latest libOGC/devkitPPC
* Remove update check completely.
* Compatibility fixes for newer devkitppc.
* Compile fixes for Gamecube
* Compile fixes for Linux

Please test as much as you can (and as many games as you can) and report back anything that was working before and isn't anymore. This part is important. I know there may be things that are still broken and that also were broken in 4.3.7. Those may still get fixed some day. But I just want to know whether or not this beta is better than the currently released 4.3.7.

Last edited by Tantric,

Edu64

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I did a quick test with Zelda to link to the past and I noticed "sound crackling" very frequently (in version 4.3.8)
In version 4.3.7 it happens also but much less frequently, it is the only serious problem that I find of the emulator (4.3.7 version), if it was fixed, it would be perfect.

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did a quick test with Zelda to link to the past and I noticed "sound crackling" very frequently (in version 4.3.8)
In version 4.3.7 it happens also but much less frequently, it is the only serious problem that I find of the emulator (4.3.7 version), if it was fixed, it would be perfect.

I've either never played long enough, played the wrong games, or I'm deaf, because I've never heard this sound crackling. I have an NTSC Wii, NTSC TV, and NTSC ROMs. Not sure if this sound issue is an issue only when you throw PAL in there somewhere, only for certain games, or what?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
well you were 8 years late. I was not even a coder the last time you did code something for the wii. Welcome back!

Edu64

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I've either never played long enough, played the wrong games, or I'm deaf, because I've never heard this sound crackling. I have an NTSC Wii, NTSC TV, and NTSC ROMs. Not sure if this sound issue is an issue only when you throw PAL in there somewhere, only for certain games, or what?

There is a simple way to check it, in "super mario rpg" or "chrono trigger" when opening the game menu, there is a distortion in the sound.
In other games it is random, as in "zelda a link to the past" in others it does not happen as in "megaman x"
When it happens, it is after about 5 to 10 minutes, and it happens after approximately 2 minutes intervals.
This is using version 4.3.7 (tv, console and rom NTSC).
In 4.3.8 the sound problems start from the first moment.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a simple way to check it, in "super mario rpg" or "chrono trigger" when opening the game menu, there is a distortion in the sound.
In other games it is random, as in "zelda a link to the past" in others it does not happen as in "megaman x"
When it happens, it is after about 5 to 10 minutes, and it happens after approximately 2 minutes intervals.
This is using version 4.3.7 (tv, console and rom NTSC).
In 4.3.8 the sound problems start from the first moment.

Could be the sample frequency, I seem to recall in testing older versions, changing it from 32000 Hz to something like 31900 to 31950 fixed it. Not sure if the same
can be done here.

Reactions: Edu64

Edu64

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Could be the sample frequency, I seem to recall in testing older versions, changing it from 32000 Hz to something like 31900 to 31950 fixed it. Not sure if the same
can be done here.

Maybe it can be that.
In pal games (using NTSC console) the sound problem occurs as in version 4.3.8, very often although somewhat less.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm noticing a sound issue with the same game, A Link to the Past (though randomized ROM). It's not so much of sound cracking, but rather it's like the sound (partially?) cuts out for the tiniest fraction of a second. If it's in the middle of a sustained sound, I think it becomes slightly distorted after the cutting out, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Other than that sound issue, seems great so far.

Couple of questions, though. Is this the first version of Snes9x GX with this sound core? If not, how long has it been a thing? Also, is there a way to change/disable the turbo functionality?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm noticing a sound issue with the same game, A Link to the Past (though randomized ROM). It's not so much of sound cracking, but rather it's like the sound (partially?) cuts out for the tiniest fraction of a second. If it's in the middle of a sustained sound, I think it becomes slightly distorted after the cutting out, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Other than that sound issue, seems great so far.

Couple of questions, though. Is this the first version of Snes9x GX with this sound core? If not, how long has it been a thing? Also, is there a way to change/disable the turbo functionality?

No, it's has that sound core for some time since it had the core from Snes9x 1.52, the older sound cores are utter garbage.

Zopenko

Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can i ask for a feature to have the cheats names display with scrolling text?
Since some cheats have such a large name it does not display properly.

I added this feature on the fcegx emu (nes), but could recreated on the snesgx emu.

Tantric

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can i ask for a feature to have the cheats names display with scrolling text?
Since some cheats have such a large name it does not display properly.

I added this feature on the fcegx emu (nes), but could recreated on the snesgx emu.

Currrently only the old binary CHT file format is supported, which limits the cheat name length to 20 characters. So I would think that's actually the reason it's cut off. We can't change that format spec, but there are lots of other file formats apparently and it's built into snes9x now. So someone just has to extend the code to support loading multiple formats. I agree it would be a nice addition. Maybe you can do it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Okay, I've taken a crack at syncing the audio. Here it is:

I took another crack at the audio, try this one as well and let me know which is better:

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/files/2287922/Snes9xGX-4.3.8-Beta3.zip

Last edited by Tantric,

Edu64

Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Currrently only the old binary CHT file format is supported

I took another crack at the audio, try this one as well and let me know which is better:

Currrently only the old binary CHT file format is supported, which limits the cheat name length to 20 characters. So I would think that's actually the reason it's cut off. We can't change that format spec, but there are lots of other file formats apparently and it's built into snes9x now. So someone just has to extend the code to support loading multiple formats. I agree it would be a nice addition. Maybe you can do it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok, when I get home, I'll do the tests.
I will be reporting the results.
Thank you!

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tried Beta 2 with ALttP again, the micro sound drops are gone entirely, though very rarely an entire sound "note" can be dropped. Seems to be able to happen when the "SNES" is lagging. Also, once when I opened the emu menu while in-game, and exited it, the sounds got messed up until I went back into the menu then left it. Kinda weird, but at least I was able to resolve it. It only happened once though. That may have been an issue with older versions of Snes9x GX I believe...

I'll give Beta 3 a shot, since it wasn't there when I started testing earlier.

Last edited by Hozu,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried Beta 2 with ALttP again, the micro sound drops are gone entirely, though very rarely an entire sound can be dropped. Seems to be able to happen when the "SNES" is lagging. Also, once when I opened the emu menu while in-game, and exited it, the sounds got messed up until I went back into the menu then left it. Kinda weird, but at least I was able to resolve it. It only happened once though. That may have been an issue with older versions of Snes9x GX I believe...

I'll give Beta 3 a shot, since it wasn't there when I started testing earlier.

I believe that infamous menu tinny sound glitch is caused by the differences in the sample frequency and the type of audio used. Snes uses Gaussian interpolation at 32 kHz whereas the menu I believe uses Cubic interpolation at 44 (or was it 48 kHz). It's been an issue for years and not easy to resolve. If both emulator and menu used the same kHz and interpolation, maybe.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.
    I mean. All I ask was for people to see if ONE, SINGLE website is working properly in edge. 1000 people see it but cant be bothered at all
    Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that goes unchecked is crazy. No where else do I see this shit towards me and others. Not even on reddit have I been talked to like I have here by other members
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the privacy settings in your browser to standard if that works.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've also heard that Chromium-based browsers will stop working with ad-blockers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Please dont go we need you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really learned not to give a fuck what others do online it's helped ease my mind try it sometime.
    @SylverReZ That reply to you was when we werent on good terms. lol. I tried everything. Changing privacy settings etc.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Fuck Chromium. Firefox 4evar.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    (Firefox 4 now, anyway. Let's see if they pull some crap too.)
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Netscape ftw
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Funny enough went to download chrome Bing gave error installed Firefox fine
    +1
    Thing is , the videos work fine in the Edge Dev and Canary builds. But whatever the fix they made was, has never been pushed to Beta or Stable builds. Its been that way for as far back as I tested. Which was Edge 84. They are on 125 now.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Yeah, and I was in quite a mood at that time. I would consider choosing Firefox or Opera instead, been using Firefox for over 7 years now than Chrome.
    Tried contacting Nintendo to see if they can reach out to MS about it. But Nintendo said the videos are working fine. Without enough people saying no, they don't work fine, it will never get fixed.
    I have Firefox and used it for many years. But Edge runs noticible faster on my pc at both opening and loading pages.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I don't think Nintendo will know anything about troubleshooting Edge. They mostly do technical support regarding their console family.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell them you downloaded their trailer without permission
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Good one, Ken.
    Right. But they could create a ticket that gets forwarded to the proper team. I think Nintendo would care that their videos aren't working on a major browser
    LOL K3N. HAHAH!
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: LOL K3N. HAHAH!