Hacking SNES & NES Emulators w/ 16x9, 480p+ support?

blackstripes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have my emulators on a modded xbox and was able to output NES and SNES at 1080i and 16x9 and it was nothing short of amazing. I was just hoping that I would be able to do the same with a Wii/GC emulator. After all doesn't the Wii have around the same power as an Xbox?

ciama81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wii doesn't do any better than 480p. If you load the emus through GCOS, it gives you the option of 480p. I know this works because my TV tells me when the resolution changes, and it stays in 480p.

blackstripes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii doesn't do any better than 480p. If you load the emus through GCOS, it gives you the option of 480p. I know this works because my TV tells me when the resolution changes, and it stays in 480p.

I know that the games programmed won't go above 480p, but the xbox was similar. Most of its games were also only 480p but yet when running homebrew emulators, some were coded to allow for upconverted resolutions... I guess I just don't see why its not possible and I'm the only one interested in it. Is it due to the fact that all of the current "homebrew" that we have is actually for the Gamecube? But I would still think its hardware is powerful enough to do some upconverting.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
If you want to multiply aspect ratio, at least do it right: 16:9=16x(1/9)
wink.gif
... but, honestly, why would anyone in his right mind want to have such a squished picture? I know, it fills the screen - but it also looks like crap at the same time. Original SNES aspect ratio was 4:3 (which would be 4x(1/3), in your own crude math), which leaves you with black bars on the left and on the right side of the screen.

Also, do you have a clue what "480p" stands for? It's short for a progressive picture with 480 vertical lines... which should be quite enough to display SNES picture. SNES used resolutions between 256x224 and 512x448, so there's even room for interpolation filters.

blackstripes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to multiply aspect ratio, at least do it right: 16:9=16x(1/9)
wink.gif
... but, honestly, why would anyone in his right mind want to have such a squished picture? I know, it fills the screen - but it also looks like crap at the same time. Original SNES aspect ratio was 4:3 (which would be 4x(1/3), in your own crude math), which leaves you with black bars on the left and on the right side of the screen.

Also, do you have a clue what "480p" stands for? It's short for a progressive picture with 480 vertical lines... which should be quite enough to display SNES picture. SNES used resolutions between 256x224 and 512x448, so there's even room for interpolation filters.

lecture.gif
Your name is fitting. I admit, I did leave myself open for the aspect ratio comment, and yes I am aware what 480p means, but you haven't answered any of my questions.

Why would I want a 16:9 (
wink.gif
) picture? Because I prefer it over 4:3, even if it is a little squished. So far the emulators that I have found output at 480i and because of the deinterlacer in my TV, I get a slight delay which is obviously not good.

How about this question, do any homebrew applications, emulators or not, output at 720p or higher?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How about this question, do any homebrew applications, emulators or not, output at 720p or higher?
No it is not possible.
The XBOX supported both 720P and 1080i output officially. It has a video output chip which supports those video modes.
The Wii does not support higher than 480P. The GC didn't either.

blackstripes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if you are still interested, but ive tried this:

NES-SNES-GEN-TURBO16-MULTIBOOT-Wii-NTSC-USA

Which i found on usenet and basically someone has pre-compiled the iso, complete with USA games from all those systems, even master system which it does not list in the description.

Anyway, it works really well, and has the option for 480p, so give it a try, they look really good when compared to virtual console.

mikeosoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey i cant get any of the emus in that package to run, it freezes on the boot screen for each and every one, like i can get through GCOS and select my system, and it boots to the main screen but from there it freezes.

i have an NTSC console with a homemade chiip running openwii 1.3b

blackstripes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hate2.gif
Not sure if you are still interested, but ive tried this:

NES-SNES-GEN-TURBO16-MULTIBOOT-Wii-NTSC-USA

Which i found on usenet and basically someone has pre-compiled the iso, complete with USA games from all those systems, even master system which it does not list in the description.

Anyway, it works really well, and has the option for 480p, so give it a try, they look really good when compared to virtual console.

Well my VC runs at 480p and I have it stretched to 16:9 and it looks great, but obviously I don't have quite the rom list that I do with homebrew.

I have a Q though. I have this same disc and I cannot get these Emu's to display 480p... In the GCOS boot screen it asks me to hit 'Y' for NTSC and 'R' for 480p, among a few other options. No matter what I select I can't get it to display 480p, it is only 480i (which my tv lags at). I of course have my wii hooked up with component cables...is there a trick to this? What am I doing wrong???
hate2.gif

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
ah i might download that one. I have one with snes, megadrive, nes and GBA but i really wanted some master system/game gear stuff. I noticed it on newsgroup bu with no mention of master system i didnt bother..

ill grab it tonight =)

blackstripes

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the GCOS boot screen it asks me to hit 'Y' for NTSC and 'R' for 480p, among a few other options. No matter what I select I can't get it to display 480p, it is only 480i (which my tv lags at). I of course have my wii hooked up with component cables...is there a trick to this? What am I doing wrong???Â
hate2.gif

Anyone have a suggestion?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol