SNES & NES Emulators w/ 16x9, 480p+ support?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blackstripes, Mar 31, 2007.

Mar 31, 2007
  1. blackstripes
    OP

Newcomer blackstripes Member

United States
    Do any emulators exist that support 16x9 and 480p or better?

2. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    117 views and no replies? Does this not exist?

3. Elrinth

Member Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Sweden
    not that I know of... tho I haven't tried.

4. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    I used to have my emulators on a modded xbox and was able to output NES and SNES at 1080i and 16x9 and it was nothing short of amazing. I was just hoping that I would be able to do the same with a Wii/GC emulator. After all doesn't the Wii have around the same power as an Xbox?

5. ciama81

Member ciama81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wii doesn't do any better than 480p. If you load the emus through GCOS, it gives you the option of 480p. I know this works because my TV tells me when the resolution changes, and it stays in 480p.

6. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    I know that the games programmed won't go above 480p, but the xbox was similar. Most of its games were also only 480p but yet when running homebrew emulators, some were coded to allow for upconverted resolutions... I guess I just don't see why its not possible and I'm the only one interested in it. Is it due to the fact that all of the current "homebrew" that we have is actually for the Gamecube? But I would still think its hardware is powerful enough to do some upconverting.

7. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

If you want to multiply aspect ratio, at least do it right: 16:9=16x(1/9) [​IMG] ... but, honestly, why would anyone in his right mind want to have such a squished picture? I know, it fills the screen - but it also looks like crap at the same time. Original SNES aspect ratio was 4:3 (which would be 4x(1/3), in your own crude math), which leaves you with black bars on the left and on the right side of the screen.

Also, do you have a clue what "480p" stands for? It's short for a progressive picture with 480 vertical lines... which should be quite enough to display SNES picture. SNES used resolutions between 256x224 and 512x448, so there's even room for interpolation filters.

8. Louse76

Member Louse76 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually, that's 480 horizontal lines.

9. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    [​IMG] Your name is fitting. I admit, I did leave myself open for the aspect ratio comment, and yes I am aware what 480p means, but you haven't answered any of my questions.

Why would I want a 16:9 ( [​IMG] ) picture? Because I prefer it over 4:3, even if it is a little squished. So far the emulators that I have found output at 480i and because of the deinterlacer in my TV, I get a slight delay which is obviously not good.

How about this question, do any homebrew applications, emulators or not, output at 720p or higher?

10. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    No it is not possible.
    The XBOX supported both 720P and 1080i output officially. It has a video output chip which supports those video modes.
    The Wii does not support higher than 480P. The GC didn't either.

11. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    Good info, thanks!

12. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

That's why I chose it. You should've asked just for progressive picture, if that's what you wanted. And yes, I did mix up horizontal and vertical.

13. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    I wasn't just looking for progressive. 1080 interlaced would suit me just as nice.

14. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

Not sure if you are still interested, but ive tried this:

NES-SNES-GEN-TURBO16-MULTIBOOT-Wii-NTSC-USA

Which i found on usenet and basically someone has pre-compiled the iso, complete with USA games from all those systems, even master system which it does not list in the description.

Anyway, it works really well, and has the option for 480p, so give it a try, they look really good when compared to virtual console.

15. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hey i cant get any of the emus in that package to run, it freezes on the boot screen for each and every one, like i can get through GCOS and select my system, and it boots to the main screen but from there it freezes.

i have an NTSC console with a homemade chiip running openwii 1.3b

16. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    [​IMG]
    Well my VC runs at 480p and I have it stretched to 16:9 and it looks great, but obviously I don't have quite the rom list that I do with homebrew.

I have a Q though. I have this same disc and I cannot get these Emu's to display 480p... In the GCOS boot screen it asks me to hit 'Y' for NTSC and 'R' for 480p, among a few other options. No matter what I select I can't get it to display 480p, it is only 480i (which my tv lags at). I of course have my wii hooked up with component cables...is there a trick to this? What am I doing wrong??? [​IMG]

17. swoon

Newcomer swoon Member

Belgium
    Would this run on a PAL Wii? [​IMG]

18. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

My wii is PAL and runs fine, but im using 32" Samsung LCD tv with component cable and choose 480p mode. No issues.

19. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    ah i might download that one. I have one with snes, megadrive, nes and GBA but i really wanted some master system/game gear stuff. I noticed it on newsgroup bu with no mention of master system i didnt bother..

ill grab it tonight =)

20. blackstripes
    OP

United States
    Anyone have a suggestion?