Gaming Snes JRPGs Hidden Gems (fan translated) to play with s9xTYL

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I would like to present below a list of Japanese role-playing (snes) games, recently (or at least a few years ago) translated entirely into English by fans, and which, in all probability, have gone unnoticed by most, excluding the fanatics of the genre, like me.
Who does not remember, as a kid, when we saw in the videogames magazines of the nineties, those wonderful and extravagant rpgs, accessible only to Japanese players.
Who would have imagined that many years later we would have played them, being able to follow their plot, and on the most varied consoles and emulators?!?

Someone will wonder why I posted it in this section/forum, since it is about snes games. First of all because I personally play them exclusively on psp, then because the Snes9xTYL emulator (with all its variants) is practically perfect for playing with them, and 100% compatible with these titles (eg Far East of Eden Zero is notoriously difficult to emulate, and here it works perfectly).

I repeat that I will only mention the titles that I consider most original, innovative (in my personal opinion), but often obscure or forgotten, recently fan translated, and in any case excluding very famous and well-known titles, translated many years ago (eg Star Ocean, Tales of Phantasia, Romancing Saga 3).
Someone will remember some titles, whose translation was anxiously awaiting in the early 2000s, and which only recently, finally, have been localized, when the interest in many has long since ceased (but not for everyone).

I'll make a simple sequence of images (comprising turn-based, tactical and action subgenres), without any description or comment: I'll let the images speak for themselves. After all, it is just a suggestion to encourage you to play or rediscover these old rpg milestones, still enjoyable and engaging nowdays.
The order is completely random; they are not sorted by importance or genre.

If anyone wants to suggest some other title, he is welcome.

Forgive the bad quality of the photos; they are (purposely) a little rough, hurried and improvised, but they serve my purpose well enough.

Finally forgive my usual, imperfect English.

1618839118160.jpg
1618842046098.jpg

1618842141838.jpg
1618845984884.jpg
1618846022940.jpg
1618846071311.jpg
1618846337808.jpg
1618846896529.jpg
1618846979819.jpg
1618847042335.jpg
1618847130296.jpg
1618847230005.jpg
1618847325756.jpg
1618847385058.jpg
1618848504707.jpg
1618850497912.jpg

benone

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Great, so many that I've never seen before. Good idea that you posted this!
I'll copy some titles for later.

thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Nikokaro

bitleman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice list. I haven't played them all but my favorites here are Majin Tensei and SRWG Elemental Lords. I prefer Langrisser on Megadrive though. Found the one on Snes a little bit too chatty.

RaniaAl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Wow,Tengai Makou Zero runs really on PSP.How is the performanceWas able to play this on my Vita with the new updated PSNES for the first time.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wow,Tengai Makou Zero runs really on PSP.How is the performance...
At that time, this version of snes9x PSP was optimized to be able to play this newly translated title in english. I tested only the beginning, wandering around the first village, and it works perfectly, as do all the other jrpgs on PSP.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember beating an rpg called Tenshi no uta (Angel's song) a long time ago. I don't think it had a translation. I vaguely remember bits and pieces like trying either to gain experience or an item while in this narrow spot when you're on your ship. it was a bit like dragon quest, I think.

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I remember beating an rpg called Tenshi no uta (Angel's song) a long time ago. I don't think it had a translation...
At that time it was not available, but now it is there: it is quite recent. That game is very colorful but the graphics are not that great: there are much better ones. 😉

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At that time it was not available, but now it is there: it is quite recent. That game is very colorful but the graphics are not that great: there are much better ones. 😉
btw, I own Tengai Makyou, far east of eden, on the ps2 along with tales of rebirth. far east of eden seems to be very hard to find as it's a lot lesser known than a lot of other rpgs, at least in the west, the instruction manual for tales of rebirth is so thick that it broke off both tabs when I was tryi9ng to put it back in the case.

20220619_115322.jpg

KaiserRitter

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
At that time, this version of snes9x PSP was optimized to be able to play this newly translated title in english. I tested only the beginning, wandering around the first village, and it works perfectly, as do all the other jrpgs on PSP.
what version of snes9x do you use for Tengai Makou Zero?

KaiserRitter

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
what version
what version of snes9x do you use for Tengai Makou Zero?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr