SNES HDTV troubles

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently purchased a SNES from a friend and it works on every TV in my house, but the one that i mainly play all of my games on, Its a pain to play on any other room's TV because the rest of the family uses those. When i plug in my SNES to my TV it doesn't even read signal, The other HDTV in our house can play it fine, but for some reason this one cannot. Any way to fix this? i ordered a Composite to VGA adapter cable from amazon for $3 if using this will work then that would be great (my tv has a VGA port and channel).
Any other ideas on how i can get this working?

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can put a link to what you bought. Even though they makes these wires doesn't mean they actually will work. I don't know of any composite to vga converter that doesn't have a powerbox.

geishroy

Suspended
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
test another device in the same ports please like a crap dvd player or something to see if maybe the jacks are broken on the tv. sometimes they go out too.

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using my gamecube a/v cables and already tested and it works on this TV. and as for the VGA cable on amazon it said it works for pluging a game console into a computer/tv monitor (which i am doing) and people said it worked well for this purpose. only reason it had 2 stars was because everyone giving it low ratings and saying it doesn't work were trying to connect a TV to a computer and it does not work for that reason, which i am not using it for but everyone using it for game consoles gave it a 5 star review

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using my gamecube a/v cables and already tested and it works on this TV. and as for the VGA cable on amazon it said it works for pluging a game console into a computer/tv monitor (which i am doing) and people said it worked well for this purpose. only reason it had 2 stars was because everyone giving it low ratings and saying it doesn't work were trying to connect a TV to a computer and it does not work for that reason, which i am not using it for but everyone using it for game consoles gave it a 5 star review

Good luck. Let me know how that goes. I see that many of the negative reviews are saying that they couldn't connect their video games to their computer monitors.

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all of the negative reviews i saw said they couldn't connect a computer to a TV. the 5 star ratings all said they connected them perfectly to game consoles. if you think i should not purchace this then tell me because i can cancel the order tonight

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't think this is going to work for you. But hey you never know, it's only 3.48 with free shipping. Look at the one star reviews again, maybe they will help to change your mind.

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there any ideas that i can do without spending lots of money? i have been looking around online and people are saying that some new HDTV's only take 480i at the lowest and the SNES is a 240i signal
any way to fix this?

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I've read that some TV's don't support any signal under 480i and as the snes is a 240p resolution it's very possible that your.tv doesn't support these lower resolutions. Given the fact that it works fine on other TV's in your house I'd guess this is the case. There may be a way of using it via one of those converter boxes mentioned but there's no guarantee.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've read that some TV's don't support any signal under 480i and as the snes is a 240p resolution it's very possible that your.tv doesn't support these lower resolutions. Given the fact that it works fine on other TV's in your house I'd guess this is the case. There may be a way of using it via one of those converter boxes mentioned but there's no guarantee.
Yeah those converter boxes upscale the resolution (picture will not be better) but it will work.

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I canceled my order for the $3 cable (it didn't look like it would do much after what you said and just looking at it) and i will probably try to order one of the two you suggested. which would you suggest out of the two (just wondering)

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the problem here is that your hdtv is unable to pick up the 240i signal the snes gives off using composite. You don't need a vga converter, what you need is one of 3 options (from cheapest to most expensive:

1. An upscaler. This will turn the signal to at least a 480i or higher. some force widescreen though so be careful
2. Scart to component/vga. You will need to buy RGB style scart cable for the snes (you are looking for the japanese 21 pin variety especially) This will then go into a Scart splitter and then into a scart to whatever converter.
3. Modify the console to natively give off component (This can be the cheapest method of the 3 if you can solder and have he parts lying around or someone is willing to do it for a fair price)

the reason why 2 and 3 can work is because the snes can give off 480i if given the proper connections to output the signal. however RF - svideo tend to keep things at the weaker signal. If you are not a purist though Just get a softmodded wii and maybe one of these: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31

Reactions: deshayzilla

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)