1. 2,875

Front-page

Head back to the heyday of 16-bit gaming with the latest release from DotEmu, who are bringing back Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol. Both games are getting a release on modern systems, giving a new generation the chance to experience these classics. Released in 1993 and 1994 respectively, Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol will see the addition of a few new features, such as save states and a museum mode, with the latter of which including a small documentary about the development of both titles. Local co-op will also be making a return. You can grab both games when they release for PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, or PC on June 29th, for the price point of $14.99.

2. Discussion (42 replies)

3. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    I loved Zombies Ate My Neighbors, such a great game.
    I wonder which version they'll be porting since there were slight differences.

Xzi, NoNAND and D34DL1N3R like this.
  4. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    were these popular titles back in the day? i always gave them a miss.

5. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    Omg. YES!!!!! I'll be picking these up for Switch. It just feels right playing them on a N system.

elm likes this.
  6. Reynardine

Reynardine The Villagefox

Germany
    This game needed a re-release, it was long overdue.

It's a fond childhood memory, I'm excited to play it again with a proper level select instead of passwords.
    I love the game but I'm genuinely surprised that Disney thinks there is enough interest in this to warrant a modern console release.

Mike Ebert will be happy too, haha. I know that he's been wanting a remake or port of his old game at least since the GBA days. It always seemed unlikely to happen, until now, that is.

Edit:
    Ghoul Patrol too? Well, I could do without that, but sure. It's not an official sequel made by Ebert and friends at LucasArts. It was developed by some other company who sort of rented the engine as far as I know.

I never owned it, only tried it in an emulator and it is inferior to ZAMN in every regard. The victims aren't even in any danger of being killed by the monsters.

Ghoul Patrol has a run button and traction when moving. That's not fun...
    The only decent addition is a jump button. Some of the music is also ok, I guess.

Last edited by Reynardine, May 12, 2021
    Memoir and elm like this.
  7. Issac

Issac Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
    Supervisor

Sweden
    Yay achievements! :D
    I wonder if they're somewhat similar to the retroachievements for these games, haha!

I never actually liked these games though, sadly... There's just something that's off about them, for me.

8. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Addict

Serbia, Republic of
    More emulated, rather than ported

eskinner3742, Xzi, Loko4 and 4 others like this.
  9. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

United Kingdom
    Super happy to be able to replay them again.

D34DL1N3R likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User Newbie

To be honest, the only SNES Game I needed on the Nintendo Switch was Tetris Attack, otherwise known as Panel De Pon!

That's actually due to the fact my introduction to the SNES was much after their Golden Years and between the then-current PlayStation 2 titles I had access to at the time, that Game was the only thing that was a joy to play comparatively, even to this day.

Before the SONY PlayStation, SEGA was more popular in South East Asia whereas Nintendo was a hit in Australia, so there was that.
    But I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoyed these Games that are coming out.

Last edited May 12, 2021 - Reason: Wording.
  11. newo

newo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jamaica
    This is really going to shine on the ps5 at 120fps

12. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    16:9 treatment would have been great, like Wild Guns.

13. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

United Kingdom
    Mmm the zombie hand coming out of the ground holding a 4:3 screen.... that guy must have been dead for decades :rofl2:

14. slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Fantastic. From the video, they look like remasters and not emulated. I haven’t played ghoul patrol, but zombies are my neighbors (now called ZAMN for you acronymic millennials) was a lot of fun. This is one kids will love.

Damn, let’s play some ZAMN.

15. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Addict

Argentina
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors was just too freaking hard for the kids it was aimed at. I never played Ghoul Patrol as I don't have a Snes.

16. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    Didn't even know Ghoul Patrol was a thing... Granted, watching videos on it, I see why I never knew about it.

I'm excited for this. Going to buy it just for ZAMN. Hopefully the port plays nice and doesn't have glaring issues.

slaphappygamer likes this.
  17. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a classic. I can still remember the main theme in my head. this will be a buy for me. there's a lot of games coming out in June, so my wallet is going to be hurting. :D

Xzi likes this.
  18. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Addict

It's really shitty that this is its own release, while still just being emulated. We miss out on online co-op which we would have if they just put it on SNES online. So we're expected to pay for less features..

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Those looking for some ZAMN action and having played the originals a lot do go have a look at the various hacks for the SNES version
    http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hac...e=20&order=&dir=&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go
    A lot of very good stuff, new levels, tweaks and more there.

I don't know if they were especially popular, though looking at ebay prices I am guessing it sold well enough to still be on the lower side. Have since become cult classics though and I would hold as being a high water mark for this sort of game in the 16 bit era (in my top ten 16 bit era games without question) and for a lot of ones since. Still very playable as well, though maybe pick up a hack for reverse inventory cycling (also on the link above).

osaka35 likes this.
  20. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

United Kingdom
    Always liked both the SNES and Megadrive originals of ZAMN, although I never spent much time with Ghoul Patrol... but it's in good hands with DotEmu.

21. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    For those like me that yet have a SNES working and plugged in, those games have no appeal if they come without cool features. Just save states and achievements will not cut it.

The majority of players today has not a snes ready to use, so for those I highly recommend those games. They are really fun even for today's standards.

newo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Neighbors, consoles, classic