SNES Emulator query

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by FranckKnight, Mar 31, 2008.

Mar 31, 2008

SNES Emulator query by FranckKnight at 6:30 PM (1,818 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. FranckKnight
    OP

Member FranckKnight GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I haven't tried any yet, and I know there are several SNES Emulators on the NDS, so simply curious about how well certain games run on those, if anyone has tried them.

Games I'd be looking into running off and emulator :
    -Lufia and the Fortress of Doom
    -Lufia 2 : Rise of the Sinistrals
    -Soul Blazer
    -Illusion of Gaia
    -Terranigma
    -Harvest Moon
    -Earthbound
    -Actraiser

I'm sure there was other games, but I can't think of any more right now, so I might just add some later.

PS You can comment on my selection too, those are old favorites of mine [​IMG]

2. iisdev

Newcomer iisdev Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    post deleted by author.
    reason: CNET affiliation

3. FranckKnight
    OP

Canada
    FF3 is already ported to GBA and I own it, so I don't really need to play the old version of it, especially with extra stuff and bug fixes [​IMG] Not that the old one was bad, just that there's no need to play two versions of essentially the same game XD

And yes, I forgot Secret of Mana, yet I'm not sure I want to emulate it, as I liked the 'multiplayer' aspect of it. I already went through the game at least twice over with most level 8 weapons, so I don't feel like emulating it per say XD

But you're right, Secret of Mana and FF3(FF6) rate among the best of the SNES era.

As for Zelda, it's another redone on GBA that was essentially the same. I'd rather play the hacked version than the original off an emulator (or get it off the Virtual Console for the best sound [​IMG])

4. Artheido

Member Artheido GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    ... Chrono Trigger... Breath of Fire... Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World [​IMG]

5. FranckKnight
    OP

Canada
    As much as I appreciate the suggestion to add to my list, I'd like to know how well those I listed work on the NDS emulators [​IMG]

This is not a list of my top 5, just a list of favorites I'd be interested in playing again on emulator, or maybe Virtual Console, some day. While I can play these on PC, I wondered about the quality of them off NDS emulator. I've played a good while of Harvest Moon and FF5 off my PSP, but the quality wasn't that awesome either.

And yes, I agree with Chrono Trigger, but then again I got the PSX version,a s slow as it is, there's still unlockables that make it worth the 10th playthrough of it [​IMG] So there's reasons why not EVERY game I like is on there, these are just those I want to know how good they run with current emulators off portable systems.

6. Artheido

Member Artheido GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Most games (including the ones I mentioned) work on Snemul DS.

7. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There's also BoF & BoF2 on the GBA, so, again why bother with the old SNES version?

Super Mario World: Not missing much if you don't get to play EXACTLY that one. (It was great back in the day, but...) Anyways, Super Mario Advance (GBA) was fairly similar to it, even though not identical and there were a couple of other IIRC.

8. Oath

Member Oath GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Awesome rpg's, Ive beaten and loved all of those. But there's also...
    Zelda- Parallel Worlds- ALTTP Hack
    Treasure of Rudras
    Brandish 1 and 2
    Actraiser 2
    Live-A-Live
    Brain Lord
    Secret of Evermore
    Paladins Quest
    Mystic Ark

[​IMG] lol, kinda got carried away with the list, but those are all great games, try them.

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I'd first check the SNEmulDS compatibility lists at both the GBATemp wiki and PocketHeaven wiki, as they contain notes on different games, though they may be out of date.

Regarding Illusion of Gaia specifically, in order to get full speed you have to actually use an older version of SNEmulDS that doesn't crash when using the Interrupt speedhack. See my notes in the game's entry at the PH Wiki compatibility list for more info on that.

If you have a slot-2 device, you can also look into SnezziDS.