SNES Classic tops 4 million units sold

IMG_6615.PNG

During a recent financial briefing with its investors, Nintendo has announced that its SNES Classic has sold 4 million units worldwide since it's launch in September of 2017. For comparison, the NES Classic reached 2.3 million units sold by the time it was discontinued. The SNES Classic was reported to have moved 2 million units back in October, meaning that from November to January, it sold an additional 2 million. With such massive success, we can only wonder if Nintendo will follow this up with an N64 Classic later down the line. You can see the financial report in the source below.

:arrow: Source

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
For a tiny emulation box, it seems like pretty solid numbers. Also seeing as it doubled sales of the NES Classic, that doesn't sound underwhelming at all.

It doubled the sales because the amount easily available was at least doubled.

Still a good number for something so menial. Just wish the nostalgia heads would have gone nuts like I did.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it really exploded perhaps cause of the completion of Starfox 2 i only hope if N64 comes out next they decide on either earthbound 64 or even the scrapped Pokemon rpg game

GaveUpTomorrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Still a good number for something so menial. Just wish the nostalgia heads would have gone nuts like I did.

The numbers would likely be much larger if Nintendo could actually keep up with the demand. While Nintendo is doing a much better job than with the NES classic, these boxes are still selling out within to seconds to minutes online. And many physical stores are picked clean shortly after receiving stock. Amazing the demand has remained so strong and doesn't seem to be letting up.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
N64 Classic would surely be a bit of a challenge, emulation has never been great and the hardware required would definitely be more expensive. They should probably just do N64/GCN VC games on Switch.

Might pick up a SNES Classic though, it was my first console and still one of my favorites.

Last edited by Xzi,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to buy one of these is clearly bullshit! I am 99.998% certain store managers are putting them right on ebay, amazon or walmart.com. I have yet to see these in stock anywhere within 100 miles of me. Dam scappers. Nintendo should of sold these directly from thier website and limited them one per address. Instead, every single unit is scappled at rediculous prices.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

GunzOfNavarone

Trophies
XP
Country
I picked one up months back and haven't yet connected it up to the TV. I've opened it and taken it out and it's a really nice little miniature. I will power it up one of these days and probably put more roms on, although I do have countless emulators for various devices. Still glad I got one though.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to buy one of these is clearly bullshit! I am 99.998% certain store managers are putting them right on ebay, amazon or walmart.com. I have yet to see these in stock anywhere within 100 miles of me. Dam scappers. Nintendo should of sold these directly from thier website and limited them one per address. Instead, every single unit is scappled at rediculous prices.
Find out what day your local store restocks them, and get there early. Ya might snag one

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I personally dont think its a great product. They didn't produce enough of them and made shit choices for what games to include on the thing. Sure, us hackers can alter what is included on the box, but the average lay person who loves old games might be turned off by the amount of games included. Nevermind limited availability. I am not surprised it has sold 4 million units.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I personally dont think its a great product. They didn't produce enough of them and made shit choices for what games to include on the thing. Sure, us hackers can alter what is included on the box, but the average lay person who loves old games might be turned off by the amount of games included. Nevermind limited availability. I am not surprised it has sold 4 million units.
This 100%. The thing that really irks me is they charged $20 more for the thing when it was literally a just a case swapped NES Classic with less games. But of course that's totally fine, cuz daddy Nintendo.

Reactions: migles

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This 100%. The thing that really irks me is they charged $20 more for the thing when it was literally a just a case swapped NES Classic with less games. But of course that's totally fine, cuz daddy Nintendo.
Before they announced this whole thing I thought, "Gee I would love an SNES classic..." but then we all got to see just how limited the thing was. My breaking point was seeing that I could get a Pi3, an SNES injected moded SNES case, and an 8bitdo SNES controller... so I made my own SNES classic. That play all SNES games, NES games, Genesis games, and much more.

gameboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some jackass bought like 30 units and tried to scalp them for $250each on Craigslist in my area. Gladly it looks like the person hasn't sold many. But I haven't seen a box of SNES classic yet

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr