snemulds help

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Payton64, May 21, 2008.

May 21, 2008

snemulds help by Payton64 at 11:16 PM (2,918 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Payton64
    OP

Newcomer Payton64 Newbie

United States
    I downloaded snemulds 0.6a right after i got my r4 so i could play a bunch of snes classics on the go. Since all of the stores in final fantasy 2/4 are glitchy, i put my micro sd card into my laptop and access the shops through zsnes, save in the internal save slots, and then go back to playing it on my ds. recently, i've encountered a problem after i put my sdcard back in my ds right after saving on zsnes. When i load up FF4, it doesn't recognize a save file (the internal save file, not the save states) and boots right up into the opening cutscene. i have no access to my save files at all on it. if worst comes to worst, i can just play it on my laptop, but if anybody knows how to fix this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    The zsnes uses a different save format than SNEmuDS and they can't be interchanged. You most likely had zsnes overwrite the SNEmuDS save game file on accident.

3. Payton64
    OP

Newcomer Payton64 Newbie

United States
    ^ but i had it working right before. but i don't use save states in zsnes, so how would it have overwritten?

4. Narin

United States
    I believe the ZSNES has automatic SRAM saving which saves the file as a .sav file. So even if you don't use save states, the zsnes still creates a save. This save is whats used when you load the game and go to the "Load a save" file or when you save your game from within the game.

5. BioHazardN00B

Newcomer BioHazardN00B Advanced Member

United States
    On a side note, do you guys know if SNEmulDS is dead? I havent seen an update in ages...

6. Payton64
    OP

Newcomer Payton64 Newbie

United States
    speaking of sram, whenever it boots up on snemulds and the opening cutscene, it says that it saved the sram. i don't know if this helps or not.

7. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States
    But you can load a ZSNES save in SNEmulDS though, right? I'm pretty sure you can.

Does it just not work when loading a SNEmulDS save in ZSNES?

8. Narin

United States
    No, the ZSNES stores extra inforrmation inside the save file that makes it incompatible with other save types.

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I call BS. An SRAM dump is an SRAM dump. I've successfully transferred save files between ZSNES and SNEmulDS both ways multiple times. Savestates of course are incompatible, but straight SRAM dumps are universal.

If it was working before and isn't now, make sure the filenames are exactly the same. If that doesn't help, I suspect card corruption. Make a copy of everything on your card to be safe, then right-click the drive and hit Properties. In the Tools tab you'll find an error-checking option. Check the first checkbox only and let it run. This will hopefully fix any errors you may be having on the card. Make sure your save file still exists on the card, copy it back over if it doesn't, and try again.

If worse comes to worse you can reformat the card, but hopefully we won't have to resort to that.

10. PizzaPasta

Member PizzaPasta Son of p1ngpong

United States
    I've transferred .sav files from ZSNES into SNemulDS quite a few times and I've never had a problem.