Homebrew "Snemul is not dead" - Archeid

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Archeid's DS page for SnemulDS (which I assume is intended to tell about the DS port), Snemul is merely on hold and he will pick it up again soon after he's less busy:

http://www.snemul.com/ds/

"No SNEmul is not dead, it’s simply sleeping. I Hope I will have more time later to fix bugs and add improvements to the emulator, but it’s not really possible for the moment.

Due to a change in the MySql from my provider, Wordexpress was not working correctly since some months. I was hoping that the bug will get fix itself but it seems I needed to upgrade Wordexpres. Anyway it seems ok now…"

This message was just released on June 18. It's good to hear that he's still alive.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Excellent news to hear, thanks for the heads up.

Also, hopefully now that the blog is fixed people will stop downloading v0.3 by accident.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume he's speaking of updating the DS version as it's on the DS page. He simply calls it Snemul though. Maybe he's gotten motivated due to all the higher level emulators like NeoDS and JenesisDS lately. I can't wait to see what he's got in store, but it'll probably be awhile. It was definitely nice of him to tell us he's still going to work on it again. Just updating and saying it's not dead is great news. I was beginning to think something bad may have happened to him since his page went weird and he's been out of touch.

knightguy363

Trophies
XP
Country
omfg Ive been waiting to hear this news
yaynds.gif

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The first DS Emulator that literally blew my mind away.
Im glad it's not dead, even if it may take a while to get updated. It's a relief to hear that the project hasn't been abandonded
smile.gif

sarah3585

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I downloaded this yesterday had some problems with donkey kong country trying to save. Can you save normally with these Emulators (like the game intended) or do you have to use the save slots?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can save normally yes. If it won't save for you, go into the Options menu and make sure auto-sram is checked. This is the feature that detects when a game saves and backs it up automatically to your microSD card. This feature was new for 0.6 so make sure you get that version. You'll be able to tell if it's working. When you save a game, text should appear at the bottom of the touch screen (unless you switch it off) that says auto-sram saving. It'll disappear in a few seconds but reappears whenever it detects a save being made.

I found that savestates are rather broken in the Donkey Kong Country games. It'll load them, but will freeze if you enter a new area than the one you saved states in. That can be bypassed by disabling the sound, but who'd WANT to do that.

sarah3585

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
I found that savestates are rather broken in the Donkey Kong Country games. It'll load them, but will freeze if you enter a new area than the one you saved states in. That can be bypassed by disabling the sound, but who'd WANT to do that.

Ah, after I try to use a save state it freezes. Now when I load up the game (not using the save state) bits of the environment and text are missing. How can I get them back? Delete the ROM and put it back on?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a bit weird. Here's some possible steps. Try each one in successive order to see which one works before trying the next one:

First try going into the Advanced icon and tap the "fix" icon to see if it clears the corruption up. This clears the graphics cache and fixes some of the random graphics corruption seen in games.

Try deleting the savestate files (they are SM0 files where 0 can be substituted for any number. Stored in the SNES folder). I heard that the SnemulDS configuration for each game is stored in their savestate (but I could be wrong).

If that doesn't work, try deleting the srm file for that particular game (stored in the SNES folder). You'll lose your battery save for that game, but it might fix the corruption if it's a saving issue.

If it still doesn't work, try removing the rom and reload it onto your microSD.

If that doesn't work, delete the SnemulDS sav file.

If it STILL doesn't work, replace the SnemulDS nds file and possibly the CFG file that goes along with it.

If it STILL STILL STILL doesn't work, you might have to reformat your microSD card, but one of these tips SHOULD help. Back up all your files from your microSD to your computer HD becuase formatting will delete all files from the microSD.

These are all the possible steps that could fix the problem, but try each one at a time to isolate the issue. Hope it helps!

sarah3585

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks I'll try thoses steps.

It also happens with mario all stars when I quit the game and go back to the menu. It's only the menus that are messed up the game itself is fine.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, random graphical glitches are pretty normal with SnemulDS. Always use the fix button under Advanced to see if that clears it up. It'll probably get better when Archeid updates it later. One thing with the DKC games I have noticed is that setting the Vblank setting to ON seems to make the graphics less jittery.

Just curious, but which step fixed the problem?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.