Homebrew Snemul can't load Zelda LttP save

TankedThomas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Ok, so I was using SNES9x on the Wii to play Zelda Link to the Past, and I have a .srm save (I believe that's the SRAM save file), but I cannot get it to work with SnemulDS. So I decided to try it on ZNESW and SNES9x for PC, but it also doesn't work. It's as if the save doesn't exist.

I have a save state from the Wii, but it is in .frz format, so I have no idea what emulator could open it. Therefore, I have no way of getting my save working, apart from on the Wii which it seems to work fine on.

I did see another, much older topic that was very similar, but the question wasn't exactly answered.

I managed to get my Wii fceuxg or whatever it's called save file for Earthbound Zero to work on nesDS, though.

Earthbound for the SNES, which I played on ZNESW on the PC, works fine loading from it's SRAM save file on SnemulDS.

On a final note, my Chronotrigger save from the Wii won't work either. Maybe it's a problem with that emulator on the Wii, but surely there is something I could do. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TankedThomas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Um... Anyone? Maybe I should have had a better title. But now I can't go back and edit it....

Oh by the way, I thought that I should mention that taking saves from my computer to the Wii works. It's just vice-versa that doesn't (of course, the idea is, if it works to take them from the Wii and put them on my computer, I should be able to get them onto the DS easily).

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have only just started to work with homebrew on the Wii, but I believe I'm seeing a similar issue. I can copy save files over to the SNES emulator for the Wii just fine, but when copying back, ZSNES refuses to use them. The filesize of the save file increases by just the tiniest amount on the Wii, and I haven't had the chance to open both in a hex editor to see what the differences are.

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm in the same boat. If I find anything out I'll let you know.

TankedThomas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
DanTheManMS said:
I have only just started to work with homebrew on the Wii, but I believe I'm seeing a similar issue. I can copy save files over to the SNES emulator for the Wii just fine, but when copying back, ZSNES refuses to use them. The filesize of the save file increases by just the tiniest amount on the Wii, and I haven't had the chance to open both in a hex editor to see what the differences are.

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm in the same boat. If I find anything out I'll let you know.

Ok, I popped a new save and the 9kb one from snes9xGX on the Wii into Cygnus FREE hex editor, and then compared them side-by-side (that Windows 7 feature is really useful). As I thought, there were more lines in the 9kb file than the 8kb (obviously), but there's more to it than that. The lines are quite different. From 00001E00, it changed. In the new file, it was just free space (a bunch of FF bytes). But in the 9kb file from the Wii, there were not only more lines, but a whole bunch of different bytes. Changing the different bytes to free space and removing the extra lines didn't fix it though so it's going to take more work. Unfortunately, I'm not a professional hex editor, and without the exact same save file working in both the Wii and normal forms (the 9kb and 8kb sram files), it's hard to compare them and find the problem. But, here's a comparison of what I can find in differences so far:

'Normal' (e.g. PC, DS - the standard SRAM. Remember, this is a new game. It's got a save, but only at the very beginning) (8kb SRAM)
snes9x_zelda_alttp_sram.png

Wii version (9kb SRAM)
snes9xgx_zelda_alttp_sram.png

Both have a save file in slot 1 called 'Link', and the Wii version has two save files in slot 2 and slot 3, called 'A' and 'B', respectively (yes, I was trying that glitch. Even though I can't remember what the glitch does now. But I gave up on trying to just play the darn game properly).

Dunno if this will help you or anyone else solve the problem but that's all the info I've obtained so far.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end