Hacking SNEEK works, UNEEK doesn't

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am at a loss here. I can get SNEEK working without a hitch, but nothing I do seems to get UNEEK working. I have even build things straight from ModMii to the media I'm working with. I just get a black screen forever when I boot it. I am using a Seagate Free Agent Go and a 16gb SD card. I have tried the same NAND that works with the SD card, and I've tried clean 4.1U-4.3U NANDs, all with no luck.

I'm probably missing something stupid, but if anyone has any ideas, could you please send them my way?

Thanks

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm at that same loss. After using modmii to get armboot.bin (source), my wii is now also just black screening and blue-light flashing.

When reading through the google code, I came across this issue. Haven't tried the 2 workarounds, but they might be worth mentioning:

1. delete the \shared2 folder from the emulated nand
2. turn on the wii WITHOUT the sd-card, then insert it when the health menu shows.

EDIT: checked both...neither seem to work for me.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Wever said:
I'm at that same loss. After using modmii to get armboot.bin (source), my wii is now also just black screening and blue-light flashing.

When reading through the google code, I came across this issue. Haven't tried the 2 workarounds, but they might be worth mentioning:

1. delete the \shared2 folder from the emulated nand
2. turn on the wii WITHOUT the sd-card, then insert it when the health menu shows.

EDIT: checked both...neither seem to work for me.

I extracted an actual NAND dump for my emu NAND and used SneekyCompiler SSE for UNEEK files. I have a channel on my actual Wii menu to forward to emu if needed. This way it saves me taking out SD/changing boomii files to switch. I have probs with Modmii SNEEK files too.

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
LinkFan16 said:
This is what I do:

WiiBricker said:
Compile the binaries yourself and then use SNEEKInstaller to properly install UNEEK.

works every time, at least for UNEEK.

I kinda like using apps that compile. Not out of laziness, but it kinda supports the makers and justifies the time and effort spent. Essentially these programs should be using the same commands as if you were doing it manually, yes?

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What exactly would be the difference between modmii and compiling my own? If this is an issue, I should probably let the ModMii people know. I'll try that when I get home, because I'd love to get it working.

Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks in advance

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So just to make sure, since it seems that Sneeky Compiler doesn't build the armboot.bin, it's the same for SNEEK and UNEEK? Is it fair to say that the difference is the kernel.bin?

Thanks

zizer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
drmarvin said:
So just to make sure, since it seems that Sneeky Compiler doesn't build the armboot.bin, it's the same for SNEEK and UNEEK? Is it fair to say that the difference is the kernel.bin?

Thanks

Sneeky Compiler build the armboot.bin and it's the same for SNEEK and UNEEK

Filestructure for SNEEK:
sd:\bootmii\armboot.bin
sd:\sneek\kernel.bin (boot2_sd.bin)

Filestructure for UNEEK:
sd:\bootmii\armboot.bin
sd:\sneek\kernel.bin (boot2_usb.bin)
usb:\sneek\kernel.bin (boot2_usb.bin)

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried using Sneeky, and I put everything in the right place. I have tried a fresh NAND the ModMii downloaded, and I've tried the emulated NAND that works for SNEEK. All I get is a black screen. It looks like it does try to build the extra folders, so it does do something, but I've left it as long as 20min, and no health warning.

I am going to try a USB stick I have. Maybe it's my hard drive, but I think it's a pretty common drive to use. I guess I can use SNEEK for a lot of VC/Wiiware, with a 16gig card (basically only used for RawkSD).

Any other ideas?

scooby74029

wanttabe dev
Trophies
Website
www.wiithemer.org
XP
Country
United States
drmarvin said:
I tried using Sneeky, and I put everything in the right place. I have tried a fresh NAND the ModMii downloaded, and I've tried the emulated NAND that works for SNEEK. All I get is a black screen. It looks like it does try to build the extra folders, so it does do something, but I've left it as long as 20min, and no health warning.

I am going to try a USB stick I have. Maybe it's my hard drive, but I think it's a pretty common drive to use. I guess I can use SNEEK for a lot of VC/Wiiware, with a 16gig card (basically only used for RawkSD).

Any other ideas?

ill bet it is your drive maybe even your wii

i have 3 wii's and sneek will only work on one from a hd

the other 2 wont work with a hd but if i use a usb stick they will work its crazy and it drives me friggin nutty

scooby74029

drmarvin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have changed the cluster size to 32k. I hope that was the problem. Anyone know why it is limited to 32k clusters? Hardware? Software?

Just curious

Thanks

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Erm...anyone know how I can check the cluster size of my drive? (preferably through EASEUS partition master...but if windows 7 has a native way of telling, please tell
smile.gif
).

A quick google showed this page, which leads me to believe I have a cluster size of 64...but before I remake the entire thing, I'd like some confirmation (I was pretty sure I followed correct instructions as to cluster size when I formatted this thing in the first place
unsure.gif
).

LinkFan16

I link them all
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just rightclick the partition in Easeus and choose "format" (you won't actually format the partition this way) to look up the cluster size.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Thanks.
smile.gif

...and damn. I do indeed have 64k cluster size.
mad.gif
I'll report back in a couple of hours to see if that was indeed the problem.

(on the plus side...I should've made a backup of that drive anyhow).

EDIT: hmm...formatting according to the complete softmod guide (method 1) didn't change anything. I'll try following the rest of the guide as well (and compiling stuff rather than use modmii or sneekycompiler), but I'm not so sure it'll work out.

Oh, and...does anyone know what this means: "Warning in Advance - The SNEEK partition MUST be the first partition on the Drive. FAT32 partitions can also be no larger than 4 GiB."

I know GiB isn't the exact same as GB, but it's close enough...and my 500GB drive is certainly larger than 4 GiB. Is this a mistake in the CSG?
unsure.gif

EDIT 2: success!
biggrin.gif

Upon closer inspection, I was not just missing armboot.bin (was solved earlier), but kernel.bin was 0kb for some reason. Replacing it with the correct one (=generated by modmii) got things to work.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte