SNEEK - what filesystem does the USB need to be?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by chaosdarkneo, Oct 3, 2011.

1. chaosdarkneo
    OP

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have a lot of backups on my WBFS formatted USB - long time ago I know, I'm outdated.

What filesystem does my 16GB USB have to be? NTFS? FAT32? What?

Also, how do I format from my WBFS drive to that filesystem without erasing my games? I could extract every game to my Local Drive, format, then copy back, but that would be tedious... Is there any other way?

Lastly, what format does the ISO need to be in for SNEEK to recognize it? I heard some say .DISCEX - I have no idea what the hell that is - and others say .ISO works.

BTW: I only plan on using SNEEK for Gamecube backups and to store all my VC channels.

Thanks for helping a noob [​IMG]

2. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    Wait, apparently DML doesn't work with USB. I'm fine with that. I have a 16GB SD card. I can use that instead, right? Please... I'm stuck.

To put it simply: How do I play my Gamecube backups with DML on SNEEK+DI with a 16GB or 2GB SD?

The backup I'm trying to play is Super Mario Sunshine, which is 1.38 GB in size.

3. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    To run it of your usb drive you uneek not sneek . UNEEK runs from fat32 so you can use this program to convert you usb drive . As for converting the games I think modmii can do so from the sneek menu .

EDIT: sorry didn't notice the edit about dml . since dml only work with SNEEK+DI you can ignore what I said & I dont have any experience running dml so wait for someone else.

4. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    I need DML to play my gamecube games - Apparently it only works with SD cards right now.

Can I use my 16GB SD Card to play gamecube games? Or can I only use my 2GB SD card?

I will use SNEEK+DI as it says that's the only way to play gamecube games with DML.

Please explain how my SD should look (in terms of games: like - SD:\GameName\Files)

I have the other files for SNEEK+DI ready thanks to ModMii.

EDIT: Posted before you did too XD Thanks for the edit though. I do need help though... Do you know anyone who could help?

5. The_Dragons_Mast

Member The_Dragons_Mast GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Egypt
    Well I checked around abit & the format should be SD:\games . Just download this program , extract it , drag the iso to it & you should get a folder to put in SD:\games containg the game files .

This is all just what I understood from looking over some threads + my knowlege but as I said I have no experience with DML so no idea if it will work or not.

6. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    Okay, thanks. I will try my Super Mario Sunshine game with DML and the method you posted.

EDIT: I haven't tried it yet, because I still need clarification on whether I can use this on my 16GB usb or not...

7. Jumbojack656

Newcomer Jumbojack656 Advanced Member

United States
    im actually converting a game to discex format right now you needthe program you jus posted and run it with cmd to convert the games and if you have msn i can show you what to do via msn

8. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    I have the game converted already. I just need to know which SD Card I can use it on.

My old 2GB one with all my homebrew - preferred one
    My new 16GB one with personal stuff on it - unpreferred

9. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    The file format can be found here (it's probably mentioned on one of the screens of modmii as well, but this reads easier). In short, it has to be a primary, active FAT32 partition with 32KB clusters or below.

There is a guide that allows the conversion without having to move files here, but I don't have personal experience with it. And even so, I wouldn't gamble with my game collection with it. I'd rather have things take a while (you can let it keep copying while you go to school/work) than risk losing stuff.

Iso's most certainly don't work (because of the file format, the larger ones won't even fit on it). discex is a gaming format, exclusively for sneek. You can find some info on it here, but as far as converting goes, I'd use modmii's converter.

...and it may not be too long before that gets outdated. Overjoy and obcd are working on a "custom sneek" version that can read traditional .wbfs files as well. It's not released yet, but rather stable and working for about 90% of the games.

You can install VC and other wads to your emu-nand with showmiiwads.

I can't answer things about dios mios lite, though. I haven't found the time to check how that stuff works.

10. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    You don't have to put the games to (imho very small) risk.
    Simply copy them somewhere. Then instead of formating (and thus deleting the games anyway) you try my method.
    If it works it still saved you half the time.
    In case of failure (catastrophical or not) you can simply format and copy them back.
    The guide even advises you to copy games that are to scratched for reripping to a save location first.
    (Maybe I should add this to it too.)

While I can't be sure about it, wbfs2fat is secure to use imho.
    I think if the included recovery failed people would be pissed enough to post.
    But I haven't seen a single report where the recovery option was even needed.
    Only cases where wbfs2fat refused to take any action because of some danger.

11. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    Nice! I'll be using WBFS2FAT then, but one more question. Do I NEED a USB device for SNEEK+DI? I could use my SD Card if possible...

12. PsyBlade

Germany
    Sneek is for Sd nand, Uneek is Usb nand
    not sure about DI, I think it needs USB
    look in the sneek howto thread

13. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    Either way, I'm formatting the USB as it WILL help later. wbfs2fat gives me an error. (More than one game claims the same blocks.)

I have WIT, and it's telling me to use WWT -V to fix the USB.

How? When I run the wit-console, and type wwt -v G:\, It gives me an error. Error 35: SYNTAX ERROR to be exact.

What do I do? What do I type to fix my USB? I can rerip the games that WWT deletes. I just need to know how to get WWT to fix my USB.

14. PsyBlade

Germany
    wiimms tools (were wwt is from) are not included
    you would need do download them separately

if you used v0.6 try v0.7a2 first
    I was a bit overcautious with the duplicate detection
    plus it can now tell you the affected games

15. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    I know. I already did download Wiimms ISO Tools (WIT).

I'll try 0.7a2.

BTW: I still need to know whether I use the USB device or the SD card for Dios-Mios Lite. There's no more information about where to put the gamecube games. I read that USB support hasn't been implemented, so I'm assuming the SD Card.

I can't find 0.7a2. Where is it?

EDIT: Looking around, I find that Dios-Mios Lite uses the Front SD for games, meaning I have found my answers. PsyBlade, can you shoot me a PM to answer my questions about formatting my USB?

Can a mod lock this topic? All the answers I asked questions about have been given. The topic is no longer relevant to the original questions.

16. PsyBlade

Germany
  17. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    Thank you! Your guide really helped.

One last question...

Does SNEEK+DI need a properly formatted USB with a game in the games folder to be plugged into the Wii? It says it does in some guides and says it doesn't in others.

18. PsyBlade

Germany
    I think I needed one when I tried it.
    Not sure though, and it might have changed.

19. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Indeed, the thoughts about that are divided. Some say you need it, others that you don't need it.

You better put one there. Before DML I would say, what's the point in having DI if you don't have a game on your harddrive.

20. chaosdarkneo
    OP

United States
    More space for channels perhaps?

Oh wait. that's SNEEK without DI.

You're right, I should just put a game in the games folder. I'll just copy one of my favorite Wii games (which I bought, then the disk got destroyed by my idiot brother...) - Super Mario Galaxy 2.