Sneek v2 Help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DaninFuchs, Mar 22, 2010.

Mar 22, 2010

Sneek v2 Help by DaninFuchs at 7:13 AM (2,085 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. DaninFuchs
    OP

Newcomer DaninFuchs Newbie

United States
    Okay, maybe someone will be able to shed some light on this. I hope. I pray. I've read the huge SNEEK v2 thread. There's a lot of contradicting information, and none of it helped me any, I'm thinking I'm likely not the only one. I hope creating this topic might get more people some help than just myself.

I've installed python 2.6, I've installed DevKitPro, I've installed DevKitARM r24.

I run the SNEEK.cmd listed from the Getting Started wiki page, follow it step by step (tried IOS60/70 and pure IOS70) but... Everything compiles, no errors, I get a black screen, no signal. I also downloaded the un-inserted modules from mousex, and ran the commands he listed to insert them (also 60/70 and then just 70) but still no joy. First off, I'm getting no signal - that's gotta be armboot.bin problems, but I can't find an armboot.bin that works with it - self-compiled, downloaded from the site, OR from the Auto Installer I mention below.

If I download the Sneek Auto Installer v4, it works fine. BUT, no DI, and I assume it's a fairly old version.

So, here are my questions;

Is my 'no signal' problem because of armboot or is it problems elsewhere?

What is the required file structure for SD+DI?
    - Where does the nand dump go? Does it need to be on SD, USB, or both? Root, or in \nand? (Saw a post mentioning they used \nand and was confused.)
    - Do I need the .bin files on SD and USB both?
    - Is it required that I have the USB set up and present (even with proper SD structure) to do so much as boot?
    - Is it required that I have a game set up on USB to even boot the thing?
    - Can someone PM me with a .rar or directory listing, so I might get this working fully?

Someone please help. Thanks!

EDIT: (3/26) Updating here since I don't want to further fatten the thread; I've downloaded compiled binaries from two different users, both with functional SD+DI, and neither works. I've tried many SD devices, and many USB devices, in different combos - obviously it's something specific about the Wii hardware, or something. I'm now looking into getting/making/borrowing/emulating a USB Gecko so I can capture debug output and see WTF. (Yes, I said emulating. I have a logic analyzer I intend to attempt to use as a USB Gecko if I can figure out data protocols. Any help there would be appreciated.)

2. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    Can you post that here? ¬¬

I have doubts to use SNEEK. I want use it but I can´t and I doesn´t ask stupid questions without read first.

3. Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer Fear_the_Tubes Advanced Member

United States
    Looks like you have no problem making "stupid posts" without reading first though. [​IMG]

To the op: I wish I could help you but I can't. I'm also having the same problem as you and after reading the SNEEK thread I'm just as lost. Hopefully someone will come a long soon and explain it for us.

4. Juanmatron

Member Juanmatron Slater Color

Spain
    DUH!

Nah. If I comiled S/UNEEK fine. I can send he it. The rest, in googlecode has the answer. Googlecode explaint ALL.

5. DaninFuchs
    OP

United States
    I didn't want to post there because then I'd be adding another dozen pages to a 108-page thread about it, that's already muddled enough. I wanted this thread to be short, clean, "this doesn't work", "here's a potential fix", "that wasn't it", "how about this", "hey look it works" so that people can just download and use it.

Also, I find your arrogance insulting. I read yhe documents available at the project's Google Code site, I also read the 100+ page thread about this system and its issues, fixes, etc, and none of them have worked for me. Clearly Google Code did not "explaint ALL". I can compile it fine too. I get consistant filesizes across several computers building the same source. It just does not work, thus my thread. And clearly I'm not the only one having this problem, since I've gotten a second person who posted agreeing with me. If you can compile a working setup, instead of trying to claim RTFM, how about you post with a little help? I appreciate the post, but please avoid posting further unless you have a contribution to make, I don't want another 100+ page thread that people are afraid to read.

6. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I have read pages 80-108 maybe 3 or 4 times, everyone is contradicting each other on methods to take, trolling, and flame bait posts are everywhere. With regards to how to compile a working one: I have a 3.2U wii, I managed to compile sneek and uneek and it doesn't boot up. I think this may be because I compiled it with usb gecko debugging and when I try to load up gecko reader it says: "C om-1 port does not exist." I have very little knowledge on compilation in general let alone sneek/uneek and I cannot figure what I have to do differently or what is causing the error. Even if I did figure out what was causing the error, I don't know where to go from there to fix it [​IMG]

So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

7. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    It should be as simple as download fresh svn
    edit mini-tree-mod\makefile line 9 to add python path(/c/python26/python makebin.py)
    add decrypted 0000000e.app from IOS70 and 00000001.app from IOS60 to sneek folder
    edit the build_boot2 batch file lines 15 and 20 and add .app to the end of 0000000E-TMP save and run batch file should compile everything needed even armboot.bin in the mini-tree-mod folder

8. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    Thanks for the quick reply, I compiled rev 73 yesterday and most of the output files went into a folder named tmp located in the svn source code directory. The files/folders in the output tmp folder were (and I am going by memory here):

Uneek - USB
    Sneek - SD
    boot2_usb.bin
    boot2_sd.bin
    {{{some temp files from 0000001.app and 000000e.app}}}
    di.bin

*once again, please regard the slight differences in names, I am recalling this from memory*

I was under the assumption that if I want to use Uneek, I would only need everything inside the Uneek folder and everything else is unnecessary. Is this correct? Not to mention, the Uneek folder has contents that are trivial where they are supposed to be placed so there is not any need to go over that.

9. Doctair

Newcomer Doctair Advanced Member

Canada
    there is definitely some different points of view of how to go about setting this up..and reading all those posts just got me more confused.

I ended up getting a basic SD NAND going after I followed the complet softmod guide..
    http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/sneek

I used Xflaks auto installer, ShowmiiWads and replaced the ef sf modules with the latest off of the google code site.

once it was running its finding out how it all works and how to load homebrews, or finding homebrew that actually work in SNEEK.

I think a simple Guide for basic setup would be in order, if someone could take the time to help and school some of us noobs.. [​IMG]

10. DaninFuchs
    OP

United States
    Thanks everyone for the intelligent replies. I'll take into account what's been said and try it again tonight, because I did stuff quite close to what most of you (the helpful ones, at least) are saying. I agree with above (contradictions and flaming etc) and thus this thread.

For those who have actually contributed here, thank you once again. When I get this going, I will post complete details, including versions/URLs for everything I've used, and filesizes.

That guide does work, correctly. The problem with that finished product is, it does not include DI modules, and I believe it's built against r67 of the SVN, whereas current version is r73, which has many improvements, features, and fixes. Specifically, DI is what I want working. For those just wishing to use SNEEK for basic support (IE, no USB NAND, no SD card functionality AT ALL aside from SD NAND, no USB loading,) PLEASE see the guide mentioned. It is the single fastest method you'll find. The URL is;
    http://sites.google.com/site/completesg/how-to-use/sneek

Also, that site has a myriad of plain, simple, clear and accurate information regarding MANY things Wii-related. I'd been using that site for a while.

Contributors; Thanks again for your time.

11. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    I can update it, but I'm a bit busy atm
    If someone can provide the new files (or a way to get them if they're not legal), that'd help a lot [​IMG]

12. Doctair

Newcomer Doctair Advanced Member

Canada
    It would be great when you have time, and if someone could add the latest release for those of us without the compiling skills... [​IMG]

13. DaninFuchs
    OP

United States
    I fully intend to write a full guide out once I get this taken care of, and I will post links for each file as required for both paths; compiling, and using as much pre-compiled data as possible.

I'm at work now, so it won't be for another four hours (ish) that I get to do any work. I've received several tips both in this thread, and over PM. I will compile together a list of details once I get it going, and I will try from several different PCs to make sure I get it nailed down as much as I possibly can. Thanks everyone for your help.

Also, as this is meant to be a concise, short thread with easy-to-find and easy-to-follow information, please try to keep 'other' posts to a minimum. I very much appreciate the support and expressions of "me too" that've shown up, it does help show that this is a thread we need, but to keep it easy to navigate, I'd like to keep those to a minimum - and yes, I realize even I'm guilty of "filling" the thread. (Yes, this also means no "sorry" posts, lol) I'm sorry if this makes me sound like a dick.

Thanks for your cooperation!

14. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    if you want to use Uneek then you just copy the contents of the Uneek\sd folder to sd card and put nand on usb don't know why there's a usb folder as have never used boot2.bin on usb