Hacking SNEEK updated with real NAND support and DiscEx ripping

T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello, I was unable to find any news about that here, so either I missed a thread or there is really not a thread about that yet. Anyways, it seems that crediar decided to work on sneek again and has release a couple of new revisions in the last couple of days. The most significant changes are support for the real NAND and DiscEx ripping straight from the Wii. To showcase sneek running on a real NAND he uploaded a youtube video, which you can see below. I have compiled all changelogs since r170 for your convenience :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyeAp7oKBdY[/youtube]

r183

ES:
-Fixed a bug which broke the system menu patches
-Renamed syscall_2d to its correct function name SetGID
-Removed more unused syscalls
-Commented unused USBGecko code out
-Commented some debug printfs out
-Added code for Ex dumping that replaces all invalid FAT chars

r182

ES:
-Fixed a bug which broke channel loading
-Removed some unused code
-Optimized some DI code
-Removed the other u64 div hack
-The result of the Ex format ripping is now also printed via USBGecko
-ESP_DIVerify now uses ES_TitleCreatePath
-added strstr

r181

ES:
-Changed some code around

r180

ES:
-Changed the Ex dump code to dump the files in order on the disc instead of
the order in the FST.
This will minimize seeking and depending on the game dump it faster.

SMG2 4.5 minutes faster
Zelda:TP 14s faster

r179

ES:
-highly optimized the u64 div hack, could improve dump speed for Ex format
ripping.

r178

FS-SD:
-Fixed thread prio

FS-USB:
-Fixed bug which caused a freeze

r177

DI:
-Fixed a bug which would break UNEEK (blackscreen)

r176

ES:
-Ex dumping now retries five times on read error
-Key chain entry is now freed after dump
-After Ex dumping completes stats about time, size and speed are displayed,
there is still only output via USBGecko during the dumping!
-NANDWriteFileSafe now automatically detects the filename
-Removed IOSInfoTable stuff
-Removed some useless printfs

r175

added eFIX which is now used to create the di.bin

r174

ES:
-DVDOpen now copies the filename to separate buffer before usage
-added direct to Ex format ripping, during ripping NO status information is
displayed.
-added DVDCreateDir and DVDRead for ripping games to the Ex format
-added Raw and Ex format ripping options to the config menu
-moved dump code to a separate file
-SMenu now also looks on the USB device for a font.bin
-NANDWriteFileSafe now requires the name of the tmp file which must match the
filename you're using
(required for SNEEK to work on real NAND)

r173

DI:
-Added different debug output levels for most printfs
-DVDInit() added support for real NAND
-Added DVDRead and DVDCreateDir Ioctlvs (for ES)
-Changed EHCI error retries to infinite
-Removed IOSInfoTable stuff
-eFIX is now required to build the final di.bin, through this DI can use up much
more space than before.

r172

ES:
-Fixed that ES would never wait for DI to be ready, this might fix SNEEK for
some people who just get blackscreens

r171

-

r170

ES:
-thread_set_priority optimized
FS:
-thread_set_priority optimized
-No More Heroes 2 save fix

Now has anyone tried running sneek on real nand yet? Does ntfs work?

nintendowii

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Crediar wrote at his video:
SNEEK installed as IOS80 on a real NAND.
This does NOT use the SD card or USB device for the NAND fs, the real NAND is used!

I cant find at the changelog that ntfs is supported.

EDIT:
@T.Kuranari: can you tell me how did you compiled the new revs of sneek, because i have trouble with my anti virus tool and IOSKPatch, if i donwloaded this files.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crediar wrote at his video:
SNEEK installed as IOS80 on a real NAND.
This does NOT use the SD card or USB device for the NAND fs, the real NAND is used!

I cant find at the changelog that ntfs is supported.

EDIT:
@T.Kuranari: can you tell me how did you compiled the new revs of sneek, because i have trouble with my anti virus tool and IOSKPatch, if i donwloaded this files.
well if you trust the download( it's coming from crediar, so yes I trust it). the suspend , put it to sleep or what ever. then download. then after your done compiling an stuff. reset you anti.
HMMmm. i see mybe what this will do. " support for the real NAND and DiscEx ripping " since sneek2o hit. reading wbfs, the only reason why i see mybe a reason to do this.. is using the usb to be used, as a backup player for gc games. cause the usb/sd will not have a nand.

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
well if you trust the download( it's coming from crediar, so yes I trust it). the suspend , put it to sleep or what ever. then download. then after your done compiling an stuff. reset you anti.
HMMmm. i see mybe what this will do. " support for the real NAND and DiscEx ripping " since sneek2o hit. reading wbfs, the only reason why i see mybe a reason to do this.. is using the usb to be used, as a backup player for gc games. cause the usb/sd will not have a nand.
What exactly are you trying to tell us?

nintendowii

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if we want to install sneek into real nand > ios80, only we must replace the 0000000e.app (from ios80 v6944) with the new kernel.bin (which we must rename to 0000000e.app)?
i dont have bootmii in boot2 so i dont want to test it.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I think shortz1994 was just writing down what he was thinking.
AVG anti virus detects IOSKpatch.exe as a virus. You can add that exe to a list of trusted programs so that you can use it again.
Furtheron,he is wondering what the benefits are of using the new sneek/uneek, since neek2o can play wbfs backups.
He was wondering if maybe dml could play gc backups from the usb drive with this, as the nand is no longer on usb or sd card, so basically,
access to those should be possible again.

I am unsure, but I think the Ioskpatch.exe hash changes when you copy it from one folder to another. In that case, it would not be very abnormal for a virus
scanner to detect it as a suspicious program. It's maybe a sort of reverse engineering protection, I don't know.

@FGOD

Make sure you are on system menu 4.3
download the ios80 wad. Open it with showmiiwads.
Rename kernel.bin to 0000000e.app and replace the one in the ios with this one.
Install that wad in ios slot 80.

Don't do this without having bootmii as boot2 and a backup of your nand. If something goes wrong, you will brick your wii.

I repeat:

Don't do this without having bootmii as boot2 and a backup of your nand. If something goes wrong, you will brick your wii.

As S(U)neek didn't work very well together with CIOS, I doubt the real nand install will like Cios.

T.Kuranari

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SNEEK on real NAND is basically a USB loader that runs on the system menu and completly without cIOS. I would love to try it out, but crediar has to provide instructions first, as I don't have bootmii in boot2 and am not willing to risk a brick. Can someone contact crediar for providing official instructions?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I see no reason why it wouldn't be compatible with dml and nmm. Assuming you installed those on real nand as well.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't see the purpose of this. i appreciate his work, but why use real nand, isn't the point that we have more space and aren't touching the real nand with SNEEK? I guess for faster loading times.

I wouldn't call this SNEEK, I would say its the system menu with DI Menu. It is cool, I'll give it that.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think shortz1994 was just writing down what he was thinking.
AVG anti virus detects IOSKpatch.exe as a virus. You can add that exe to a list of trusted programs so that you can use it again.
Furtheron,he is wondering what the benefits are of using the new sneek/uneek, since neek2o can play wbfs backups.
He was wondering if maybe dml could play gc backups from the usb drive with this, as the nand is no longer on usb or sd card, so basically,
access to those should be possible again.

I am unsure, but I think the Ioskpatch.exe hash changes when you copy it from one folder to another. In that case, it would not be very abnormal for a virus
scanner to detect it as a suspicious program. It's maybe a sort of reverse engineering protection, I don't know.

@FGOD

Make sure you are on system menu 4.3
download the ios80 wad. Open it with showmiiwads.
Rename kernel.bin to 0000000e.app and replace the one in the ios with this one.
Install that wad in ios slot 80.

I repeat:

As S(U)neek didn't work very well together with CIOS, I doubt the real nand install will like Cios.

i have bootmii boot 2 ;) we'll see if it likes darkcorps :P

i'll try it tonight when my wife is of to the gym :)

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
My guess is that this is a way to simplify the SNEEK installation for users wanting to use it mostly for DML/NMM. Considering it is using the real NAND instead of any storage device, its compatibility would hardly vary from one console to another (taking into account that almost every Wii is on 4.3 right now).

In any case, thanks for the instructions, obcd. I'll test this feature ASAP (yes, I have BootMii as Boot2).

EDIT: no luck. The drive just blinks indefinitely.

nintendowii

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@PabloACZ: do you have the sneek folder and the same kernel.bin and di.bin on your usb drive, too?

EDIT: maybe you need the bootmii folder on your sd.

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
I already have the 'sneek' folder in my SD card. And no, I don't usually use UNEEK+DI, so I don't think it is necessary to have the binaries in the USB drive as well.

If it helps, I replaced the 0000000e.app file from the IOS80 v6944 with the kernel.bin from SNEEK+DI; haven't tried with the normal binary (boot2_sd.bin). And yes, I removed the emulated NAND from the SD card.

P.S.: if I get this to work, I'll also test DML. I already installed the modified BC to the real NAND.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
We tried a similar approach to boot neek2o without sd card. The only difference was that we installed the modified IOS80 in a different slot. reloading that ios should bring us in the neek2o environment. (as we used the neek2o kernel.bin.)
It sometimes worked, but with priiloader installed on the emulated nand, the system menu refused to start. It gave an error about the stm eventhandler being in a wrong state.

If the nand files come from the real nand, shouldn't di.bin come from there as well? And there is also the font.bin file. Where will the system search for that one?

DarkMatterCore

Finding my light.
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
If the nand files come from the real nand, shouldn't di.bin come from there as well? And there is also the font.bin file. Where will the system search for that one?

That's a good question. Maybe we have to include them in the IOS80 as 'new' modules, or use an unreleased tool to save them in a specific directory on the real NAND. Maybe asking Crediar wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

EDIT:

Crediar said:
I made a tool which lets you create a .wad file for the desired IOS version.

The IOS version can either be selected by the system menu version or any other IOS version you want.

With that you can install any version you want to, SNEEK/UNEEK with or without DI and using the real NAND or not.

It seems I was right about the 'unreleased tool'.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y