Hacking SNEEK question

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to have a Sneek (uNeek) setup where I have access to all my game backups from a copy of the Wii System Menu, as follows:
- menu expanded so that it does not limit the amount of channels to 48
- disc games can be launched as channels (a la WiiSGC/Crap)
- both disc and channel based games can be launched in the same fashion
- the menu screen does not get flooded with a bunch of text from the console

Thanks.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The problem with sneek is that the system menu loading time increases when more channels are installed.
Load time from an usb disk is slower than from the internal nand flash, so there is not much you can do about that.

The closest to what you are asking is postloader. It allows to launch vc / wiiware, games and homebrew from within the same
program. It also works similar on real nand and on neek nand and is the only application able to launch homebrew from the usb drive under uneek.

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with sneek is that the system menu loading time increases when more channels are installed.
Load time from an usb disk is slower than from the internal nand flash, so there is not much you can do about that.

The closest to what you are asking is postloader. It allows to launch vc / wiiware, games and homebrew from within the same
program. It also works similar on real nand and on neek nand and is the only application able to launch homebrew from the usb drive under uneek.
Thanks a lot for the explanation.
This convinces me that I don't need a SNEEK setup. I'm happy with CFG and ISO forwarders, even if the latter a bit slow to load games.

Ultimately, I would like a loader that could load the banner animations, but I don't know if that is even possible.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Neek has advantages. The space that can be used to install VC and Wiiware is not limited like it is on your real nand.
You can switch between nands, so you can have an E nand for european games and a U nand for your usa games.
Soon, a method will become available to hide channels for the system menu.
With that method, you can have a large number of channels installed, and only part of them are shown in the system menu.
This avoids the slowdown in the system menu startup.
But you are right that basically the same thing can be done with recent versions of an usb loader.

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neek has advantages. The space that can be used to install VC and Wiiware is not limited like it is on your real nand.
You can switch between nands, so you can have an E nand for european games and a U nand for your usa games.
Soon, a method will become available to hide channels for the system menu.
With that method, you can have a large number of channels installed, and only part of them are shown in the system menu.
This avoids the slowdown in the system menu startup.
But you are right that basically the same thing can be done with recent versions of an usb loader.
Thanks. That's an interesting concept.

Speaking of channels, do you know why homebrew apps are able to play the sound of a banner but not the animation?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I really don't know the details, but I would expect the sound to be a well known audio format file, while the banner animation is something ninty specific that needs the system menu to play properly. Maybe the programs used to make custom channel animations can help in understanding how it works. I know that part of custimising is changing the images that are used for the animation, while the animation stays the same. I don't know if the engine behind the animation is even known in detail.

themanuel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't know the details, but I would expect the sound to be a well known audio format file, while the banner animation is something ninty specific that needs the system menu to play properly. Maybe the programs used to make custom channel animations can help in understanding how it works. I know that part of custimising is changing the images that are used for the animation, while the animation stays the same. I don't know if the engine behind the animation is even known in detail.
Yes. You can change the images and animation data. The problem seems to be that the code used to run the animation is only there in compiled form, so nobody knows what it does.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1