Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Majroa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
What do you use at the moment? Please elaborate your choice in the topic.

Sneek DI(works like regular (non-backup) game loading, so cheats and stuff are trough Gecko OS)

Pro's:
- Best compabilty
- Regionfree
- Disc channel loading
- Easy access to gamefiles, Reggie, anyone?
- No cIOS/patched IOS needed, games run on the original IOS's
- (In the future) Gamecube loading

Con's:
- You need to decrypt your games
- Only FAT32
- People seem to have problems with installing sneek
vs

cIOS loading

Pro's:
- Specific USB Loaders with nicer gui's than Sneek DI
- Video mode patching
- WBFS, Fat32 AND NTFS are supported
- Plain ISO's are supported

Con's:
- You need to modify your Wii to make it work
- Not all games are working
- WBFS isn't recognized by OS's
- Antipiracy measures

Also, what are the main differences between Waninkoko's and Hermes' cIOS?

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
your pro/cons are a bit off, while they are mostly correct sometimes they are not fair.

the cIOS regionfreeness is purly due the loaders, if you tried to load a game via a loader from SNEEK-DI you also wouldn't have any region issues, furthermore SNEEK comes with a built-in regionfree hack for disc for 4.2E/U and for all channels! which probably nobody really noticed.

also SNEEK+DI doesn't have any video mode patching or cheating support.
And for cIOS you have to convert your games to WBFS or not? Which is kinda the same step as decrypting.

Due the way SNEEK+DI works you can also replace single files very easily which isn't possible via cIOS.
And bootmii being a con? doesn't pretty much everyone have it installed?

Majroa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SanGor said:
your pro/cons are a bit off, while they are mostly correct sometimes they are not fair.

the cIOS regionfreeness is purly due the loaders, if you tried to load a game via a loader from SNEEK-DI you also wouldn't have any region issues, furthermore SNEEK comes with a built-in regionfree hack for disc for 4.2E/U and for all channels! which probably nobody really noticed.

Oh, I didn't noticed
tongue.gif
sorry..

SanGor said:
also SNEEK+DI doesn't have any video mode patching or cheating support.
And for cIOS you have to convert your games to WBFS or not? Which is kinda the same step as decrypting.

Not quite the same, also, you can play plain iso's.

QUOTE(SanGor @ Apr 21 2010, 01:00 AM)
Due the way SNEEK+DI works you can also replace single files very easily which isn't possible via cIOS.
And bootmii being a con? doesn't pretty much everyone have it installed?
Yeah, you are right ^^" My thinking was that Bootmii IOS doesn't work with this, but it worked, I didn't knew. >_

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will use Sneek when it is less buggy and close to perfection. Your pros and cons are a bit off too.

Con's:
- You need to modify your Wii to make it work (If you mean that you have to install a modchip to make it work, you don't)
- Not all games are working (Which games aren't working? All have worked for me without problems (besides NSMB but patch was made for that)
- WBFS isn't recognized by OS's (The USB Loaders support Fat32 and NTFS file systems and there are WBFS GUI programs)
- Antipiracy measures, like Error #002 (?)

Majroa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
crwys said:
I will use Sneek when it is less buggy and close to perfection. Your pros and cons are a bit off too.

Con's:
- You need to modify your Wii to make it work (If you mean that you have to install a modchip to make it work, you don't)
- Not all games are working (Which games aren't working? All have worked for me without problems (besides NSMB but patch was made for that)
- WBFS isn't recognized by OS's (The USB Loaders support Fat32 and NTFS file systems and there are WBFS GUI programs)
- Antipiracy measures, like Error #002 (?)

1. Softmod, you need to install cIOS, they call it modifying your wii
tongue.gif

2. Metroid Prime Trilogy isn't fully working yet
3. When it corrupts, you're fucked
4. Yeah, like the NSBM patch, all the games that need an alternate.dol etc.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Installing BootMii is basically modifying your Wii? (Installing non-Nintendo code)
2. Get back to you on that one.
3. If what corrupts? This could be just the same for your SD Cards or USB Drives that you use for Sneek.
4. None of my games have needed an alt. dol. and wouldn't NSBM need a patch even if it was on Sneek because it was a new anti-piracy protection?

Majroa

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. Yeah, but easier. Also, bootmii as boot2 can be deleted w/o any traces. Iirc cIOSes not.
3. Once the partition corrupted when I played... all my games were gone
4. No, because Sneek(like the wode) emulates the usb drive as disk drive. The wii thinks it's a official wii game etc.

rmbell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
currently i'm using fat32 cios usb loading. I've tested out the sneek di method and didn't really like it too much. the mass amount of files from a decrypted game on a fat32 drive... i forget to defrag etc.

jaybee

Trophies
XP
Country
CIOS is much more convenient, while Sneek DI is an acomplishment and a step in the right direction, decoding the ISO into files is too much of a pain in the arse for my liking. I'm preferring Cios and USB Loader

rich333

Trophies
XP
Country
i cant afford to download games so all the games on my usb drive have been installed from disc to hdd via a usbloader. can you do this on sneek?

off topic: can a usbloader install a game from disc to hdd in fat or ntfs?

jhoff80

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea of SNEEK+DI better, but it needs a better game selection menu that has Wii remote support.

Also, even using only legitimate Wiiware downloads and only actual installing retail games that me and my friends have bought, the 512MB of space isn't close to enough space for me.

I mean, with some game saves using up to ~130 or so blocks, and with DLC for most games not able to be put on the SD card, it adds up very quickly.

SNEEK+DI alleviates that problem quite a bit, though I'd prefer even more giantpune's mod that basically equals UNEEK+DI (and his modified loaders, for that matter).

With a USBloader / cIOS, I'm stuck with the internal memory for saves. Also, there's the already mentioned alt-dol problems (which while we have decent workarounds, we don't actually have a solution).

As for the con of needing to decrypt the games to use them for SNEEK+DI, I'd bet that as that usage becomes more common, we'll start getting that functionality included in WBFS manager apps.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why does everything have to be a competition around here?
sneek / cIOS
FAT / NTFS / WBFS
hardmod / softmod
what loader do you use
paper / plastic
249 / 222
shirts / skins
bootmii / prloader
soup / salad
regular gas / premium

things are designed with different goals in mind. depending on what is important to you, your vote will be different. it is pointless to make a challenge out of it because nobody will win. nodoby will change the other person's opinion. just like having a theological debate online. everybody will leave the discussion felling exactly like they did when it started, you just open the door for flame wars and crap. there is no umpire or judge. you dont get bonus points when more people agree with you than the other side.

diego71102244

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i like sneek + di way better than cIOS, i use a kingston 8 gb for games, when i decrypt games and remove the UPDATE partition the games gets a smaller size so i can put a lot more games in the usb device and the fact that i dont have to use cIOS to run the games and that i can play rugby league in full mode makes it the best choice for me.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Sneek DI works with Riivolution? Have you tested this? This would really surprise me.

About compatiblity, if you use "the correct" loader(don't know if there's any) then Sneek DI should have 100% compatiblity with non import games. As far as i know cIOS is only missing IOS Reloading games and that only for usb(for discs cioscorp works).

And Gecko OS can't play Sam & Max, FarCry and CSI. And it's missing the country string patching that's required for some PAL/NTSC-U games on japanese Wiis.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WiiPower said:
About compatiblity, if you use "the correct" loader(don't know if there's any) then Sneek DI should have 100% compatiblity with non import games. As far as i know cIOS is only missing IOS Reloading games and that only for usb(for discs cioscorp works).

There is no technical reason why sneek di & cios can't have the same compatibility. If you want to use sneek use that, if you want to use cios use that.

Both will have various bugs & incompatibilities at different times.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
smf said:
WiiPower said:

There is no technical reason why sneek di & cios can't have the same compatibility. If you want to use sneek use that, if you want to use cios use that.

Both will have various bugs & incompatibilities at different times.

I meant with the know-how from today it should be possible to write a loader that has 100% compatiblity on sneek DI but i don't know if anybody did it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended