Snaking and Wii Mario Kart

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by BoneMonkey, Oct 29, 2007.

Oct 29, 2007

Snaking and Wii Mario Kart by BoneMonkey at 5:51 PM (2,200 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. BoneMonkey
    OP

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    i can't wait for mario kart for the Wii to come out

but .......... looking at the trailers it seems you can snake

and i don't care what anyone says SNAKING IS LEGAL CAUSE THE CPU DOES IT !

2. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    No one cares?

3. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    oh you will care !

4. Gaisuto

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    Then don't play seriously. I for one insist that Snaking is perfectly legit, it's just not fun at all to do. I play Mario Kart with friends only to have fun, I've never bothered with the online or it's "Who Can Snake The Best" contests.

Or if you do go online and want to win, then you have to snake to do it. There's really nothing that can be done about it.

5. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    well i know that when mario kart wii comes out there will be tons of ppl playing it and hopefually there will be i a mario kart wii tournament and the last one had NO SNAKING ! which is BULLSHIT ! lol

iam offically starting a Snaking is Legal Club

6. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    well i know that when mario kart wii comes out there will be tons of ppl playing it and hopefually there will be i a mario kart wii tournament and the last one had NO SNAKING ! which is BULLSHIT ! lol

iam offically starting a Snaking is Legal Club

7. Hiratai

Banned Hiratai I'm like *tick* *tick*

United States
    [​IMG] Epic Fail.

8. glitchbit

Member glitchbit GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can we please call it what it is for once.

Drifting...

It was not in the original mario kart so it is doubt it is meant to be in the DS version. At any rate I see it as having a place, BUT I think they should separate drifting into another type of race all together and disable it on the standard modes of play. It should also be an option that can be toggled on and off before 1 player races.

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i won't be playing online on this game unless there is a option to turn it off.

10. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The problem with that is the srategy drifting adds. To disable it completely wouldn't be a good idea. And toggling it on and off could cause issues since some people wouldn't like that because, like I said, drifting adds strategy to the game. Then there's the issue of how to limit drifting so it doesn't turn into "snaking" without taking that part of the gameplay out or making it all around useless. Sure, you're really not meant to just drift then entire match, but there is no way to stop it without causing all sorts of other issues.

11. Gifted1

Member Gifted1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    When does it come out again?

12. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    Ships 01/02/08

13. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    It does not come out in January. Just because EBGames has a place holder date on it doesn't mean that's when it's coming out. It does not have an official release date other than Spring 08.

I mean, the name isn't even official yet. Mario Kart® Wii (name not final)

14. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    curse you eb games !

15. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i couldn't care less if it adds strategy, it's not fair on other players and i welcome a feature to turn it off.

16. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Easily solved in my opinion.

Drifting was intended to be used to slide around corners so that you get the boost it gives as you're coming out of the turns.

So the solution. Nintendo figures out what the two closest turns are in the entire game, figures out the fastest anyone could possibly get between those two points and make it so drifting disables itself for that number of seconds after you use it. Kind of like how the spin attack worked in Twilight Princess, thus preventing overuse. Sure competitive people would still use it on straight aways as much as they could, but at least the game wouldn't be one long thumb-shattering, fun-killing snake.

A far far better, but more difficult fix would be to tweak the effects of drifting in some way to only make it effective on turns so that if you tried to do it on straight areas of the course it'd hinder you rather than help you.

17. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Reminds me of the bunny hopping scandal in counterstrike.

18. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Which is why I completely stopped playing the DS game. A year ago I could do it, doubt I could well now, but I found it sucked all the fun out of the game as it just went to whoever could snake best...not driving skill nor item skill. If using rivals I could find a fun snake free game though, that was so so much fun as it felt like classic Mario Kart to me. So, if the Wii one supports those shenanigans I'll probably hope for a rivals system or keep it a 1P affair which is fine by me completely.

...and pig, love your idea there. If that could only be done to keep it to cornering as it was intended since day one that would be spectacular. GLITCH you make a great point too though as well. There should be a snaking/drifting category of race and/or an on/off switch that can be done. I mean in old Mario Kart 64 the power slide drifting was pretty cool but just could not be done in a straight away like the DS can so freely so unfortunately. The entire concept of the drift is to make a turn sliding away through it in such a way as to not lose speed, drifting you don't do in straight aways let alone to gain speed. I think in online mode it would be most excellent to have a toggle and I have no idea why it wouldn't work without hosing the gameplay mechanics at all.

19. BoneMonkey
    OP

United States
    the mario kart wii version will come with a wheel controller which will make snaking super easy lol

20. mrchew

Banned mrchew Banned

United States
    the whole snaking thing came from F-ZERO then evolved over to MK it adds a new fun level to the game and im sorry for the n00bs who cant do it because it here to stay [​IMG]