SMB4MD Released

• Thread starter Deleted-171178
  • Start date
  • Views 6,362
  • Replies 12
D

Deleted-171178

OP
QUOTE(http://devster.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=dev&action=display&thread=613) said:
After read the title, maybe some ones thought "WTF means a so strange title?", but I'm sure all the games lovers recognized inmediatly the first 3 letters as from Super Mario Bros, the classic of the classics. Well, that is exactly what is this, a complete port of the Super Mario Bros game from NES to our lovely Genesis.
Of course, some people can say: "oh, sure, this is awsome
frown.gif
, well done on copying a game that is ported to at least ALL the consoles in existence", but the amazing of this port in particular is the fact that I used an automatic conversor to "translate" from the 6502 asm (NES processor) into the M68K asm. In fact, despite the HUGE optimisation I did only to fit the game in less that 64kb (I was thinking to create a LAKABAJO version... maybe in the future, when I build mine
wink.gif
), at least the 75% of the code is still untouched after the translation.
Of course, I nedeed to create from scrath the I/O function, which emulates "on the fly" the NES I/O function, since ALL THE ORIGINAL DATA IS STILL HERE. Also, if you check the memory usage, only $800 bytes are used (000-7FF, like in the original NES!!).

2 or 3 things:
- Before load it, disable the "AutoFix Checksum" in your emulator.
- The C button is for select between 1 or 2 player in the main menu. However, don't play in 2 players mode in Fusion. For Whatever reason, it takes the A and B buttons, on the second joypad, as the same button (strange, isn't it?)
- 2 small cheats: push A+Start on the 1st joypad (this set the flag who allows you to choose the start level at the beginning), or/and push Down+B on the 2nd joypad (this set the game in 40H mode, like during the development!!), then reset the game.

But stop reading, download, and enjoy it.

Of course, I could not do it without some help. Credits to:
doppelganger: If this guy had never disassembled the original game and complete comented it, I never had the stupid idea of port it. Maximun credits are for him.
walker7: The whole game would not possible without his help. He helped me to correctly translate some 6502 instruction I never understood. Thank you a LOT.
Tiido Primagi: Some help, betatesting, and try it on real HW (didn't work, but thanks anyway
smile.gif
)
Devster: For help me A LOT of time ago (like 1 and a half year ago, the first time this project started), and for BasiEgaXors, the main reason I started with the genesis programming, and because I used it to simulate an enviroment to recreate all the NES sounds, since is nearly to the impossible emulate them on the fly.
Pascal: Without his "MD developper studio", I would never discovered what exactly hanged the code in early development stages.
My friends crash_19, areBalo, il panino, fraskito & lucho: for betatesting it, and for support me through this entire project.
HardWareMan, Stef, mic_, Gigasoft, Charles MacDonald & Chilly Willy: For some tips when I was trying to fit the code in 64KB without loosing execution speed.
Tom Maneiro, ScroGer, jlf65, TheMVRules, Shiru, theelf, abokys, JDTAY, socram8888, Syniphas, and a lot of other people I'm forgetting: For keeping the community alive and for be so awesome persons.

Feedback, bugs, critizes, everything will be good received.

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Impressive port.

I tried it on fusion genesis emulator....

Glitches from the original game are here, but some others too...

I can't access minus world... black screen.
smile.gif

D

Deleted-171178

OP
I believe this ROM is a homebrew ROM, the same as things like Flashback PSP.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not really sure what to do with this, but it's definitely not homebrew, and nothing like the Flashback ports. If it was just a simple IPS file, it would be ok, but considering this is a full rom that was compiled using commercial game code, i can't say it's entirely legal to post here. Flashback ports required you to possess the original files yourself to run, it wasn't packaged with the original files itself.

For now, i'm not sure what to do with this, i'm going to pm a higher mod to see what's to be done with it. I don't think this is something we should be linking to here though, sorry for that.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
granville said:
I'm not really sure what to do with this, but it's definitely not homebrew, and nothing like the Flashback ports. If it was just a simple IPS file, it would be ok, but considering this is a full rom that was compiled using commercial game code, i can't say it's entirely legal to post here. Flashback ports required you to possess the original files yourself to run, it wasn't packaged with the original files itself.

For now, i'm not sure what to do with this, i'm going to pm a higher mod to see what's to be done with it. I don't think this is something we should be linking to here though, sorry for that.
Do you remember the reverse-engineered port of Sonic 1 to the Gameboy advance? The one that proves Sonic Genesis on GBA is total shit?

How did you deal with linking to that rom?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@RupeeClock

Yes i do, i actually posted about that port here, and i refrained from posting the rom link since it was a fully compiled Sonic hack. I figured it would be against the rules. Lilsypha is reading this at any rate, she'll be able to tell us probably lol!
tongue.gif

EDIT- figured it was against the rules. If you're reading this dice, i pm'd you about it a couple minutes ago. Sorry about that if you get here and see it all cleaned up already. Too late on my part.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, Mario on teh genesis.....
Ya!
Sega does what Ninten dont!
Blast processing bitch!
Hahahahahahahhahahahaha....

Ok enough of that.

Its mario, on the genesis, its kinda odd.
Kinda pointless too.
But hey, it might be cool to hack this into something else.
Maybe splice it together with sonic 1 hacked code and mix it all up crazy like.
Ok maybe thats not possible, but thats not the point.
Get sonic in mario and mario in sonic, DO IT! DO IT!

Eh, I can't wait to see some pirate carts popping up. Would be so awesome.

Maybe someone could make some carts complete with a booklet and genesis style packaging in a sort of odd fun gamer joke. I'd probably buy one. xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here