smb sharing with windows 7.... how?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by newby1976, Apr 29, 2010.

Apr 29, 2010
  1. newby1976
    OP

Member newby1976 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i want to use SMB sharing on wiimc but i cant get it to work with windows 7 .... yet it works great with an xp machine, i do know its not a firewall problem as i have removed my firewall as i have removed it as a test

i have tried searching, is there a guide?

2. Tristar

Member Tristar GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I'm sure all I did was make sure that when the share is set up that it is shared with 'everyone'

3. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    for some reason, even though the author claims it works, it will not work when you attempt to share a drive. try sharing just a folder and make sure permission to set to everyone and use your ipv4 address.

4. newby1976
    OP

Member newby1976 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    i am sharing just a folder and its set for everybody but it still doesnt work .... i have read that some security settings in windows 7 and vista have to be changed to get smb working .... but i cant find out exactly which settings

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    On XP smb is easy, you just set anything to share, select read-only or read/write access, and it just works. On Vista/7 it ONLY works with usernames and LOGINS(!!!), that's why it does not work the way most people expect it. The program needs to know a VALID username that is used to logon on your machine in order to access the sharded files over network. I hate that concept, i see its advantages, but i don't want anybody to have a login for my pc.

By default Vista and 7 should be set to allow the guest account, you just set the share to allow the guest user access, and programs that use smb shares usually automatically try to use the guest account. If the software just tries to access the share it will fail, on all Windows Vista/7 installations.

Sorry that i'm not helping, but i just had to say it.

6. hunnymonster

Member hunnymonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Isn't it that Vista & Win7 use NLTM version 2 authentication by default (and don't allow NTLM v1 by default like XP) - it's a simple registry fix...