Smash Bros. to use separate online friend codes

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by TGBoy, Dec 4, 2007.

Dec 4, 2007
  1. TGBoy
    OP

Member TGBoy GBAtemp Regular

Kuwait
    Smash Bros. to use separate online friend codes

Gamers hoping for streamlined Smash Bros. Brawl fights won't get it online -- Nintendo says the fighter will in fact use separate friend lists as is the case with most online Wii games.
    Players hoping to duke it out with friends online will each need to exchange a unique 12-digit game code. These are not the same as the 16-digit Wii friend codes used to send and receive messages.
    Stranger matches, as with other Wii games, will not require the exchange of friend codes.
    Due to the lack of voice communication on Wii, players will be able to customize and assign four separate text taunts that will be displayed in game.
    With exception to EA titles which use a universal EA Nation I.D., online Wii games require redundant trading of 12-digit codes to play with friends for each individual game, despite the existence of system-wide friend codes.

Smash Bros. developers called the system "simple."

Both Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network use a single, global identifier when playing with friends online for any game.
    Nintendo says the cryptic use of friend codes are to ensure privacy, though the company has yet to offer an explanation on why seperate game codes are used.

GamePro

2. IainDS

Member IainDS GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I see. I don't find the friendcode system to be honest anyway.

3. Awdofgum

Member Awdofgum Wadofgum

United States
    Damn Nintendo, Online has always been a problem with Nintendo.

4. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    Yeah, y cant there be an universal friend code for your console? So much easier.

5. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    Was anyone really shocked by this? I mean, Pokemon Wii already used seperate friend codes from your main Wii friend code.

6. Digeman

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Aw heeell naaw! *Alright warning for kids*: What the fucking hell is nintendo thinking!? Are they completely out of their damn minds!? Everyone knew that it wouldn't matter if they put in new modes or characters or attacks or whatever, everyone knew that if super smash was to be awesome again they would have to get the online right. When I saw my cuz playing medal of honor or whatever online with the wii, and saw that it actually had servers, I flipped and thought to myself "g'damn! it's actually possible!" and there was no doubt in my mind that it would be perfect for wii and that nintendo would do something similar (so i thought). Holy hell! This is worse than a real hard kick in the nuts....I don't know if I can forgive nintendo for butchering something so great in this way....

7. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Good news: Smash Bros is going to be online.

Bad news: It uses shitty friend code system [​IMG]

Well...maybe GBAtemp can have some sorta friend code sharing "place" so we can find opponents to play online...

8. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I honestly don't mind at all. Smash Bros. Brawl is giving us every feature imaginable, if this is the only downfall to all of that I say bring it on. [​IMG]

9. GameDragon

Member GameDragon Mugiwara RAWR!

United States
    I'm with Ace Gunman, I don't really mind the friend codes . Its gonna be a good game nonetheless, and if its lag free then I have no problem.

10. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    What do you have against lagman? [​IMG]

11. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    No but they could at least try. Friend codes are a JOKE of a system. Especially considering the Wii has it's own unique code that... isn't used.

Wtf Nintendo, wtf.... [​IMG]

12. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    hmmm maybe that is for the future, maybe when online gaming on wii becomes more widely spread this will be Nintendo's little attack against pirates.

13. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Well, I'm one of those persons that only play online with friends and I only have to add their FC once so.. not a big deal for me.

And yeah, don't hate the lagman : (

14. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Yep, that's how an online system should be built! Preventing child predators and attacking pirates! Not making the customer happy, fuck that shit!

15. MC DUI

Member MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    It was obvious they were going to do this, they have been doing it so far in the Wii's life and they will do it to the end IMO.

What about this statement -
    "Due to the lack of voice communication on Wii, players will be able to customize and assign four separate text taunts that will be displayed in game."

That sounds like an invitation for people to spam rude messages everytime they are playing. That is going to get annoying real fast.

Wonder if they will have a filter system on words like on the Xbox360?

16. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    [sarcasm]Thank you Nintendo once again for this fabulous announcement.[/sarcasm]

17. Zaago

Newcomer Zaago Member

Dominican Republic
    This is not something new, Nintendo is doing this since the NDS (it has its own code despite the FC in the games).

18. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    Friend codes make me sick [​IMG] such a horrible setup

I've kinda got used to it though..

19. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Friend codes are shit and I hope they're the death of the Wii. Do you know how fucking awesome the Wii would be without friend codes and a 20GB HDD?

20. Prophet

Member Prophet Resident Black Militant

United States
    Wait a second... I think I just reached an epiphany of sorts. The only people who will really be irked by a friend code system are those who lack the friends to trade codes with. Poor basement dwelling virgins :'(