Smash bros online rom vs retail?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by dreamstar1, Oct 3, 2014.

1. dreamstar1
    OP

dreamstar1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Canada
    Just a few question:
    I currently have gateway and have emunand set up as well.
    Can i play online multiplayer with the eu rom?
    If not, can I buy the game and ran it with gateway and be able to play online or is that not possible since i have gateway?

Thanks

2. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet
    You can only play online with the local region ROM for your 3DS.

3. dreamstar1
    OP

dreamstar1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Canada
    if i buy the game, can i play it online as well, even though i have gateway installed or does that force my 3ds to auto update firmware?

4. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

You can run it in classic mode, but it won't load the save you create on your 3DS on anyone else's. It'll say it's corrupted.

5. dreamstar1
    OP

dreamstar1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2014
    Canada
    oh that sorta sux :/
    but i wont be lending the game anyways, so i guess it should be fine.

6. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    Why not download the U rom?

7. redkeyboard

redkeyboard GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 8, 2013
    United States
    With Gateway's latest firmware however to boot to classic mode you have to have the gateway card in the 3ds, So every time you want to play smash you have to remove the game, insert the gateway card, and then remove that and reinsert the game. I would rather just use the rom to be honest. Or if you want to support them, dump the rom of the copy you bought, rename it to .3dz, and play it in Gateway mode.

8. naughty_cat

naughty_cat GBAtemp Regular

Dec 19, 2013
    Egypt
    I was actually confused about this as well. Let's assume I'd dump my own retail cartridge and start using a .3DZ rom, would I still not be able to save the game? Or would I still get corrupt saves??? And when I use the .3DZ file, should that be on classic mode or gateway mode? If it's on gateway mode, can I still play online with it?

9. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

You can save the game as a 3dz rom without your file being corrupted.

Gateway mode is what you use to run roms, not retail cartridges. As long as the 3dz has a valid header, you can play online with it in Gateway mode.

10. naughty_cat

Dec 19, 2013
    Egypt

11. tairo

tairo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 7, 2013
    guys if i dump my own rom of smash brothers and it ask for update ,it should be ok to update it when in gateway mode right ?

12. naughty_cat

Dec 19, 2013
    Egypt
    Don't update from the cart/rom. Always update using the official gateway method (from the settings menu, gateway mode, and always make sure that it says GW before the firmware, e.g: GW7.1.6)

13. Searinox

Searinox <3

Dec 16, 2007
    Romania
    Got the ROM and injected the public kirby online header. Even trimmed it afterwards. Went online for the first time and sought a random match, got an error. Second time around, everything went perfectly. Played the Spirit Tracks map vs a bunch of other people. Finished the round. No issues. Only annoyance is that closing the software spits you back out in the 4.x firmware.

14. Raptile01

Raptile01 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2008
    Gambia, The

As it has been answered several times: To avoid getting thrown back into 4.X firmware: Suspend software (NOT close) and open other app (like camera app or activity app). From there you can press 'select' again to change ROM or close app to be back in emunand without running software.

Also: The error you get during online matches happens quite often. I believe its an error telling you that matchmaking has failed. Just try again it should eventually work if it finds compatible hosted games. (Correct me anyone, if im wrong on this)